Hacking -3 error on boot

VooDooDollKiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not messed with this wii U in a long time. The kids play it once or twice a week. I hacked it like 4 years ago. Today when they went to turn it on it shows a -3 on a black screen. So I unplugged the HDD with all the files and games on it and plugged it into the PC. The HDD is showing nothing, not even formatted. So I guess the files it needs to boot are gone. I need to know how to get it back running without bricking the wii U. When I first turn the wii U on it shows CBHC v1.6 by FIX94 (DS Title 10179B00) Autobooting... then gives -3 black screen. (I do not have any of the old wii U files because the PC I used to hack in no longer around)

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
IIRC - 3 indicates a problem with the SD card. Either missing or required files missing. The HDD not showing as formatted on PC is normal as the windows can't read a Wii U formatted drive.

VooDooDollKiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had a SD card in the wii U. I think everything was on the usb HDD. The SD slot is full of dust....(I thought the kids had took the SD card out also)

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I never had a SD card in the wii U. I think everything was on the usb HDD. The SD slot is full of dust....(I thought the kids had took the SD card out also)
-3 is definitely an SD card error. From a quick look around it seems to be "failed to mount SD card". Don't know why it would suddenly be looking for one unless someone has changed the config to boot to HBL or something. It looks like others have had this problem where it suddenly just started looking for one, I have no idea why. If you have a card knocking about you could format it to FAT32 on the PC and stick it in and see if it boots. Then try again with it removed.

VooDooDollKiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was looking in a old laptop bag and found a SD card. It has some files on it for the wii U. I put it in the system and now it boots. It booted you to the homebrew launcher and is showing HB App Store, CBHC, Haxchi and more. How do I get to the main system screen and see if games are working. (Sorry has been a long time since I have messed with this thing)

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
When it says autobooting press the home button and you should get to a menu where you can change it to autoboot to the Wii U menu instead of HBL.

VooDooDollKiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are the man. Thank you very much. All the games are showing up and everything is like it was.....

Just to test. I removed the SD card and pressed the home button when it said autobooting and clicked boot system menu and it booted fine. So no SD card needed..... So to anyone else that has this problem because of kids with no SD card just change autoboot back to system menu.

Last edited by VooDooDollKiler,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill