Gaming 2Wire Gateway 2701HG-B DSL Modem/Router (AT&T)

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my AT&T Modem/Router some years ago and have been using it on both Windows XP and Windows Vista. I don't exactly remember the download speed of the Modem/Router on my Windows XP, back when I first installed it and back when my Windows XP computer was brand new (I was little at the time and don't know anything about these things). Now ever since I got a new computer (Windows Vista) and re-installed 2Wire onto my computer, the speed was just too slow. Now when I asked about my friends' download speeds, their's were waay faster than mine (up to 150+ KB/sec), while mine was 80 KB/sec MAX. I don't know why the download speed is slow, but when I open up Mozilla Firefox and other website pages, it loads FAST (NOT very fast, just fast). I don't know why, that's why I'm asking some of you computer experts and stuff.

For Windows Vista is there only a Double-Screen Icon at the Lower-Right corner if your computer is connected to a Network? It's different for Windows XP (One Screen).

I'm not sure which Internet Plan my parents' friend chose for me, but I'm pretty sure it's Basic because of the download speed...Hopefully it's not the Basic Plan.

Can anyone tell me how to make the download speed faster other than upgrading to a better Plan and buying a new, faster Modem/Router/Internet Connection? Thanks a bunch.

I'm not too sure about these things, because I'm just 13 and learned most of these computer things the hard way (getting viruses on my Windows XP)

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on being 13, I remember being 13, that's when I learned to program in Java...

More on topic, check your router page. Both my 2WIRE's have had a router page of http://192.168.1.254/ .

Find the connections page and it'll tell you the speed of the connection in bits (not bytes. a byte = 8 * bits).

If you in a different location, you'll have slower speeds, I used to get 30 KB/s with AT&T DSL.
It was hell now that I've got 600 KB/s.

Lowest tier AT&T DSL is 1 Megabit (~128 kilobytes) if I remember correctly.

How are you downloading to check your speed? Compare it to http://speedtest.net results

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
Congrats on being 13, I remember being 13, that's when I learned to program in Java...

More on topic, check your router page. Both my 2WIRE's have had a router page of http://192.168.1.254/ .

Find the connections page and it'll tell you the speed of the connection in bits (not bytes. a byte = 8 * bits).

If you in a different location, you'll have slower speeds, I used to get 30 KB/s with AT&T DSL.
It was hell now that I've got 600 KB/s.

Lowest tier AT&T DSL is 1 Megabit (~128 kilobytes) if I remember correctly.

How are you downloading to check your speed? Compare it to http://speedtest.net results

Thanks
biggrin.gif
I somewhat understood what you posted, but a few I do not understand. I really need to learn more of these things and need to stop relying on my dad's friend to help me set up computer-related things, so I guess this is a perfect time.

This is my speed:

857734562.png

Download: 0.62 Mb/sec

Upload: 0.32 Mb/sec

Now when I checked my Connection Speed, it was:

Incoming: 768 kbps

Outgoing: 384 kbps

Thanks for the reply
smile.gif

Do you notice any problems with this? Also, thanks for helping.

Fast reply, please!
biggrin.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks about right to me. 768 / 1024 = 0.75 Megabit, minus a bit because of other stuff.

So if your internet is slow, it is probably your computer.
Your ping looks fine too.

Try another computer or something. Do you get ~80 kilobytes/s when you download?

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
Looks about right to me. 768 / 1024 = 0.75 Megabit, minus a bit because of other stuff.

So if your internet is slow, it is probably your computer.
Your ping looks fine too.

Try another computer or something. Do you get ~80 kilobytes/s when you download?

Yes, I do get 80 kilobytes/s when I download. I don't think that it's my computer that's slow. It's running fast, actually (Windows Vista).

I also tried it on my Old Windows XP computer and it's lower than 80 kilobytes/s around (50-65).

I found this: http://ctrlzone.blogspot.com/2008/03/vario...p-settings.html as well. Not sure what it is, but I think it will help. I gtg sleep for now. I'll check back on this topic once I come back from school.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@