Hardware 2ds xl charging issue

dbwells

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Tried searching and came up empty, hoping someone here has seen this before.

My son's 2DS XL is suddenly acting odd. The orange charging light stays on even when not plugged in, and the unit will not turn on. We let it sit a few days until the battery died, which it eventually did, but plugging it in again after that did not help. I removed the battery and put in the battery from our Wii U pro controller (same battery), and voila, turned on fine, seemed fixed. Once it died, however, same deal, orange charging light on all the time, won't turn on.

Determined, I pulled the battery from our Switch pro controller and tried again. Again, system turned on fine. Decided to try charging right away, and it seemed to work, light on when plugged in, light off when unplugged. Left it to charge for about 5 minutes, tried to turn it on, no go. Unplugged it and tried again, now it turned on, but the battery level was blinking red (had been 2/3 full). Removed the battery and installed again, now 2/3 full again. Turned off, plugged in, tried to power up again, and it would not turn on. Removed the power, and it turns on fine.

So, here is what I think is the summary:
1) The system, aside from charging, works fine. Inserting a charged battery will work.
2) Plugging in the charger seems to doing something in reverse, like it drains the battery, and prevents the system from turning on.
3) Leaving the charger connected eventually does something weird to the battery, causing it to send power to the charging light instead of the system.

Does any of this sound reasonable? Something wrong with the charging port, or something deeper than that? Anything worth trying to troubleshoot? I've got a multimeter at least.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited by dbwells,

dbwells

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did some more searching, found what might be somewhat related in this thread:

nintendo-3ds-hardware-chage-problem-yeah-another-one.503199 (can't post URL)

Maybe a bad inductor? Keep in mind, I have no idea what I am talking about :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night