Hardware 2DS worth getting?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw one at the local pawn shop and i'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon. it's 80 bucks but my hands are really big. so i'm not sure if it's a wise idea. and i'm use to the old 3ds set up so any advice can anyone give me would be great.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Depends really on you!

I bought a 2DS for my kids (no need for 3D) and at start it was really awkward to use, but after some time it really does feel good in your hands, pitty you can't close a 2DS, especially with kids, but it does it thing, it plays your games and everything else.
I don't regret buying it, it's just bigger to stow away somewhere and you really need a big pocket in your jacket to carry it :D

I could have just as easily bought a 3DS and let the 3D switch on off, but i already have those, so a 2Ds fitted nice with the collection and like said, after some time getting used to it, it really feels good in your hands to play.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a 2DS owner, I can give you some first hand experience.

Get it if:
- You just want to play 3DS games.
- You dislike the 3D feature on the others.
- You don't mind the look.
- You don't want to spend a lot.
- You don't mind having no downgrade option.
- You don't mind having little hardware knowledge on the motherboard.

It is a solid device that lacks a few things, and for the price, it isn't a bad option.

Reactions: DjoeN

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I love my 2DS <3 <3, I bought recently, beginning the transition from ds / 3ds to 2DS (My girlfriend has a pink 3ds day one) may seem shocking, but for me it was not so I've always been in love with the 2DS, reminds me of my old GameBoy FAT. The only thing I hate is not being able to use the eshop and emunand

Solar47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your going to buy it I would pony up the extra 20 bucks and buy a new one for $100 that some snot nose kid hasn't gotten his sticky fingers all over.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you're 100% sure that you're going to play a lot of games and are going to put 100 hours + on this baby, go for 3DS XL.

Otherwise, if not sure, used 2ds is a safe bet.|

Worst case you can trade in your 2ds for a 3d if you change your mind later.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
As a fellow 2DS owner, I'd like to also give you my own opinion. The pros and cons (the way I see it) are:

PROS.

- Straight design (flip top designs in my experience gets broken too easily)
- Start and Select Buttons are easier to press (the 3DS have it's Start and Select buttons where the Home button is)
- 3DS games are still playable anyway (just don't have the 3D effects)
- Activate Sleep Mode via the switch (no need to keep opening and closing the device)

CONS.

- Mono speaker (I really don't mind this but some prefer Stereo sounds)
- No 3D effects (I've wanted to try how a 3D effects will affect my gameplay)
- Unusable Flash Carts (I think it can't use Gateway, IDK about Sky3DS though)
- Sleep Mode is activated by closing the device (opening it will cancel sleep mode duh)
- It's somewhat big but you'll get used to it

Overall, if you really wanna play 3DS games and you really don't care much of the Cons, then this is for you. The system is good, the games are great, and it's enjoyable. If only they will make a New 2DS or a New 3DS in the same straight design as the 2DS, I'll definitely pick it up pronto. :)

Secret Dragoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy it if you want to hack and stuff.

I have one, I don't care for the 3DS/3DS XL/New 3DS. I'm not interested in Flash Carts (as I can't buy them without a credit card). I'm annoyed that the Homebrew Scene generally lacks support for them.

Then again, the only games I have are Pokemon Y and Pokemon AS. I bought it excursively so I could play Pokemon. It's pretty sad when the 3DS itself under performs the PSP from 10 years ago.

Then again I never used the Sound or 3D when I had a 3DS (normal sized) as I only have those two games.

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
The Gateway is compatible from version 3.01​

Yes, well.. I uh read somewhere that the new Gateway Ultra (version 3o or something) won't work on 2DS because the 2DS was developed on a firmware 6 more or less. Downgrading the 2DS into firmware 4 will make it unusable or it will just not work. I could be wrong though, because if I'm wrong.. oh boy, I sure hope I'm wrong and I'll definitely buy a Gateway.

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, well.. I uh read somewhere that the new Gateway Ultra (version 3o or something) won't work on 2DS because the 2DS was developed on a firmware 6 more or less. Downgrading the 2DS into firmware 4 will make it unusable or it will just not work. I could be wrong though, because if I'm wrong.. oh boy, I sure hope I'm wrong and I'll definitely buy a Gateway.

You are partially wrong. Downgrading on 2DS isn't possible, and will never be possible, but Gateway doesn't need 4.x firmware. That said, 2DS support is kinda spotty, and there have been reports of it not being very reliable.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're KIND of wrong. There are two exploits in the wild for the 3DS right now: a DS profile exploit and a web browser exploit. The DS exploit works only on versions 4.x, but is more reliable and works without an internet connection, while the web exploit works on every version from 4.x to 9.0.2, but requires an internet connection. Obviously both have their pros, and the DS profile exploit will never be usable on the 2DS due to it being built with FW version 6.x in mind. (The web exploit works like a charm, though, and there are some handy Android apps to trigger the launch with a fake Nintendo Zone)

:ninja:'d again!

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an owner of both a 2DS and a 3DS XL I can share a few comparisons...

2DS is hard to hold while playing games if you have large hands (shoulder buttons hard to operate while thumbs are over analog stick. ABXY buttons too small and close together).
2DS's mono speaker is not as loud as the 3DS's stereo speakers (3DS has two, duh).
2DS rom loading from Gateway is very spotty at best. Many read errors. CIAs on EmuNAND work as expected though.
2DS cannot be downgraded to 4.2/4.5 (but in all fairness I didn't bother to downgrade my XL even though I could)

Both of my systems are on SysNAND 9.2-20U and EmuNAND 9.5.0-22U

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
You are partially wrong. Downgrading on 2DS isn't possible, and will never be possible, but Gateway doesn't need 4.x firmware. That said, 2DS support is kinda spotty, and there have been reports of it not being very reliable.

You're KIND of wrong. There are two exploits in the wild for the 3DS right now: a DS profile exploit and a web browser exploit. The DS exploit works only on versions 4.x, but is more reliable and works without an internet connection, while the web exploit works on every version from 4.x to 9.0.2, but requires an internet connection. Obviously both have their pros, and the DS profile exploit will never be usable on the 2DS due to it being built with FW version 6.x in mind. (The web exploit works like a charm, though, and there are some handy Android apps to trigger the launch with a fake Nintendo Zone)

:ninja:'d again!

Errr does this mean with my 2DS I can use Gateway or something like that and play games I've always wanted to or I'll have to wait for something that will really work on any 2DS / 3DS platform? I will definitely get a Gateway if I can be taught how to do it or how to setup Gateway for the 2DS.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Errr does this mean with my 2DS I can use Gateway or something like that and play games I've always wanted to or I'll have to wait for something that will really work on any 2DS / 3DS platform? I will definitely get a Gateway if I can be taught how to do it or how to setup Gateway for the 2DS.

You can use it, but only with the Go! Gateway web exploit, which isn't system persistent. In terms of after applying the exploit (every single time you want to use it) it works the exact same as on a 3DS, just DO NOT downgrade past 6.x (since theres no need unless downgrading to 4.5 anyway, just... don't), it will make the 2DS buggy as hell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr