Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hello gbatemp! i've recently been thinking of picking a 3DS/2DS together with a gateway... i would like to pick a 2DS as it's cheaper and i don't really need the 3D

however i seems to understand that 2DS automaticaly come on firmware over 4.x which make them unusable with gateway, can you guys confirm it? if yes what can i do to assure i can buy a 4.X 3DS?

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or you could PM me and I could source you a brand new 3DS/XL running 4.x. Up to you, though I suppose I'm not an overly trusted member so the risk would be yours to take.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 4.5 3DS can be found at any pawnshop anywhere. I straight out told the guy why I wanted to power on and check half of them and he was fine with it.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A 4.5 3DS can be found at any pawnshop anywhere. I straight out told the guy why I wanted to power on and check half of them and he was fine with it.
True, but the XLs tend to be a bit harder to find, or at least in my experience.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I got a 1.1 3DS off Kijiji. It's worth a shot to check there. Just ask the seller to check the firmware first, and if they don't know how, just provide them some simple instructions.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a 1.1 3DS off Kijiji. It's worth a shot to check there. Just ask the seller to check the firmware first, and if they don't know how, just provide them some simple instructions.
I tried that before myself, even included a video and picture explaining how to check, and the best I got was some guy who misunderstood "homebrew" for "home brew" and wanted to know what my brewing setup was. Honestly, it was pretty amusing, but yeah, the point is YMMV.

Reactions: signz

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found an XL on 4.3 at the first shop on my second try. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
It really depends on the type of town/city you live in. The best places are obscure towns, or places where the 3DS is considered unpopular.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I tried that before myself, even included a video and picture explaining how to check, and the best I got was some guy who misunderstood "homebrew" for "home brew" and wanted to know what my brewing setup was. Honestly, it was pretty amusing, but yeah, the point is YMMV.

I just didn't tell them what I was using it for. I simply asked, "What firmware is on the system?" and they checked for me.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just didn't tell them what I was using it for. I simply asked, "What firmware is on the system?" and they checked for me.
Well yeah, but they were selling. I put up a buying post looking for one, but no one responded. I ended up getting a regular 3DS from my cousin (running 1.1.0-0U) and a new XL from my local Gamestop (running 4.4.0-9U). Can't complain really, but I would have preferred to have gotten it cheaper over Kijiji if I had the choice.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still 2012 made XLs at retail in the USA. You need to be looking for the Red/Black or Blue/Black models with a 2012 copyright on the box and it will be a 4.x unit for sure. I still see them in the Midwest at stores like Meijer, Target, Walmart. Don't go to places like Gamestop or BestBuy as they will likely have newer units and I think most of 2013 promo models were 5.x and up. I thought they would all be gone after xmas but I am still seeing some out there in the USA at least.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My local Gamestop has about 25 of each model in the SW10-12 range, most of them in the SW10 range as well for the XLs, and in every colour able to have them (excluding special editions). I actually asked one of the employees and they went through all of them for me.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the thing is i have some gamestop credit so i would have liked to buy it with the gamestop credit if possible... i guess my other option would be to buy a normal 3DS and check the model number then? but then again, the difference in price between a 3DS and a 2DS is of around 50$ if i'm not mistaken right? i really would have liked to spend around 100$ if possible

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the thing is i have some gamestop credit so i would have liked to buy it with the gamestop credit if possible... i guess my other option would be to buy a normal 3DS and check the model number then? but then again, the difference in price between a 3DS and a 2DS is of around 50$ if i'm not mistaken right? i really would have liked to spend around 100$ if possible
Well, it's either spend the extra $50.00 on (one) single game instead, or put the $50.00 into a full 3DS/XL with a Gateway. At the end of the day, we can only tell you the available options, we can't make your desires a reality. I'm sure you can find a console of either series running the required firmware after all, it's just that there literally is no version of the 2DS released that runs at or below the required firmware. As such, deal with it. If you're hoping for a bit cheaper console, go look at a few local pawn shops. They may have them, or you may lose $50.00 in gas driving around looking for them. At the end of the day, you need to decide where you're going to invest, as you're going to spend money no matter what if you go down this route.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.