Hardware 2DS Black Screen

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently hack a friend's 2ds everything worked fine until yesterday after falling from very high. I try to turn on the 2ds but it turns on with a black screen but the blue light stays on

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The blue light stays on and nothing else happens and it doesn't turn off until you hold down the power button for 10 seconds or remove the battery?
It sounds like a hardware problem and it probably has nothing to do with CFW

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, it only goes out when I press the button for a few seconds to turn on and off

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would like to have a solution because my friends lent me his 2DS

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may not have one or it may be out of what you are able to do. Do you hear anything when the console first turns on? Any music or the likes plays after the console boots?
I can not hear anything when starting the 2DS

Try removing the battery for a few minutes and if that doesn't work you can try removing the back cover and check if everything inside looks ok
Okay I'll try I'll let you know as soon as I get new

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you try accessing GodMode9 / Luma settings by holding (Start) / (Select) while booting with and without SD?

2|3DS systems tend to show ridiculous behavior when not finding all (non-essential) hardware instead of a meaningful error message. If this is an early O2DS, the WiFi card maybe loose. Disconnected or torn (this is bad) ribbon cables might also be the cause.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before going crazy with all the other suggestions, one thing I've seen cause this that nobody ever talks about is DS or 3DS game in the card slot that is either seated poorly or has a poor connection for some reason. So, If there's a game in the cartridge slot, try removing it and booting again.

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try accessing GodMode9 / Luma settings by holding (Start) / (Select) while booting with and without SD?

2|3DS systems tend to show ridiculous behavior when not finding all (non-essential) hardware instead of a meaningful error message. If this is an early O2DS, the WiFi card maybe loose. Disconnected or torn (this is bad) ribbon cables might also be the cause.
yes I have access to GodMode9 when I press start when booting with the sd card

Before going crazy with all the other suggestions, one thing I've seen cause this that nobody ever talks about is DS or 3DS game in the card slot that is either seated poorly or has a poor connection for some reason. So, If there's a game in the cartridge slot, try removing it and booting again.
I tried and it still does not work

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yes I have access to GodMode9 when I press start when booting with the sd card
That's a good sign
It could be a software brick but if it happened after the 2DS fell it's probably something with the hardware and the 3DS system doesn't want to boot because of it
@TurdPooCharger Maybe you can help with this

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I do not understand is that the 2DS is already falling not even 30cm as yesterday she had already had this problem a few days ago but soon was settled after I use the keys A + R + L + Up (DPad) but this time it does not work anymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Blaacky, is this system you're referring to a o2DS or n2DSXL model?

o2DS
  • The SD card and game cart slot readers are soldered onto the o2DS motherboard.
    • You can try booting without SD card or game cart. Depending whether or not it has CTRNAND Luma3DS installed, your o2DS will boot straight to HOME Menu or turn on & then off with a single blue LED blink.
  • Miscellaneous loose or torn flex cables / damaged components.
    • Unfortunately, there are some things you can't see broken with the naked human eye like broken traces within the motherboard, disconnected ball solder joints for the CPU / GPU, and internal cracks for the various SMT/SMD.
    • Accidentally dropping 3DS/2DS systems is probably the 2nd 1st common cause to hardbricks. The first second is water damage by beverage spill, toilet, or rain.
n2DSXL
  • :mellow:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: BETA215

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Blaacky, is this system you're referring to a o2DS or n2DSXL model?

o2DS
  • The SD card and game cart slot readers are soldered onto the o2DS motherboard.
    • You can try booting without SD card or game cart. Depending whether or not it has CTRNAND Luma3DS installed, your o2DS will boot straight to HOME Menu or turn on & then off with a single blue LED blink.
  • Miscellaneous loose or torn flex cables / damaged components.
    • Unfortunately, there are some things you can't see broken with the naked human eye like broken traces within the motherboard, disconnected ball solder joints for the CPU / GPU, and internal cracks for the various SMT/SMD.
    • Accidentally dropping 3DS/2DS systems is probably the 2nd common cause to hardbricks. The first is water damage by beverage spill, toilet, or rain.
n2DSXL
  • :mellow:
I'm not sure I understand everything but I'll try to do it all when I get home

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand everything but I'll try to do it all when I get home
Your chance of fixing your friend's 2DS will depend how lucky you got.

Because you didn't specify which 2DS model you have in your possession,

(A) If this system is the old 2DS (aka table style), those are the few things you can check for.
or

(B) For the new 2DS XL, you are more or less SoL.

If this 2DS you have is not fixable, replacement refurbished systems can be bought at Nintendo's eBay store.
  • o2DS for $50 | n2DSXL for $100 | (state tax not included)

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your chance of fixing your friend's 2DS will depend how lucky you got.

Because you didn't specify which 2DS model you have in your possession,

(A) If this system is the old 2DS (aka table style), those are the few things you can check for.
or

(B) For the new 2DS XL, you are more or less SoL.

If this 2DS you have is not fixable, replacement refurbished systems can be bought at Nintendo's eBay store.
  • o2DS for $50 | n2DSXL for $100 | (state tax not included)
It’s an Old 2DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s an Old 2DS
I thought I recognized your username from somewhere. Since you live in France, forget about the refurbished systems at the Nintendo eBay store.

Possible bad outcome

In the event this 2DS can't be repaired, your friend's library of games in the Nintendo 3DS folder might be forever lost.

(1) When you hacked his 2DS, did you get the chance to back up his SysNAND *.bin image?
(2) If you did not make either of those files, did you ever add him to your Friend List on your 3DS/2DS?
  • Friend Code: #### - #### - ####

You will need either (1) or (2) in order to decrypt and recover his stuff.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@TurdPooCharger What if it's an issue with the cameras or something else that causes the 3DS system to not work but godmode9 and luma and custom firmware stuff still works
You thought this was the problem with my 2DS and I think it was the issue for some other people with black screen

Blaacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I recognized your username from somewhere. Since you live in France, forget about the refurbished systems at the Nintendo eBay store.

Possible bad outcome

In the event this 2DS can't be repaired, your friend's library of games in the Nintendo 3DS folder might be forever lost.

(1) When you hacked his 2DS, did you get the chance to back up his SysNAND *.bin image?
(2) If you did not make either of those files, did you ever add him to your Friend List on your 3DS/2DS?
  • Friend Code: #### - #### - ####

You will need either (1) or (2) in order to decrypt and recover his stuff.
yes i have a sysnand.bin file that i have backup in my tablet

I also have the file essentiel.exefs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger What if it's an issue with the cameras or something else that causes the 3DS system to not work but godmode9 and luma and custom firmware stuff still works
You thought this was the problem with my 2DS and I think it was the issue for some other people with black screen
It's assumed it's some sort of physical damage to his 2DS. We can only go by previous known cases of those who dropped their o3DS / o3DSXL / o2DS.

If the battery trick does not work, @Blaacky would have to disassemble his friend's o2DS to look around. Of course, he might not find anything inside that's obviously out of place.

If he had another o2DS system in working condition, a way to find out what part(s) might be busted on his friend's o2DS is to swap their motherboards.

@Extrasklep, speaking about your fixed o2DS, did you read about CTRTransfer (Type D9) that was developed as a successor to Decrypt9WIP CTRTransfer?
You might want to check if your o2DS still has its original HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt; look for the CCAL magic header in hex view. See if the essential.exefs has clean backups of those DAt files.

yes i have a sysnand.bin file that i have backup in my tablet

I also have the file essentiel.exefs
Good!

The last you want is to get yelled at by your friend for losing all his games and save progress.

The 2DS is replaceable. His personal data not so much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/