Gaming 2D sprites and the 3D effect

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been worried that the good ol' 2D sprites 'ive come to love and care for are gonna be gone for good with the 3DS. I mean can the 3D effect even work on a 2D game or would it be just like the cameras 3D where its just 2 pictures instead of 2 live ingame cameras? I know 2D games work with a kind of animation like system (you know. You gotta make a sprite for each frame of movement, Just like in animation where you make a image for each frame.) And when it comes to things like cut scenes and such the 3D is not an option. So tell me what do you think? The end of 2D sprites or the cameras method of using the 3D for a full game? Also im aware of paper mario but I feel since only small objects, items, and characters are sprites but the environment is in 3D I think it will still work like other games. My concern is the 3D effect on games made with complete Background images and no 3D environment or models. Just thought I would clear that up XD.

Souldragon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I see it the other way, I'm not so worry how 3d effect going ruining 2d game play experiences but how it may improve 2d game design with 3d effects. It's up to the game designer to think of fun and new way of doing thing.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I dont think the effect will ruin the 2D Games Im more worried that sprites will be completely abandoned by the devs and they'll take the way that CaveStory is taking and just using small models from a fixed 2D perspective in order to use the effect.

Edit: Aha I forgot about BlazBlue
tongue.gif

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
But I didn't think Cave Story is bad to where it going, I think alright version.

Personally im not too crazy over the new style and I liked how it looked like a SNES game but overall the style isnt bad it's just that a good reason I use nintendo systems (not even close to the main reason I like them) is because a decent amount of the games have a cartoony spritish look to it. I feel if 3D models arent pulled off in a similar way to Blade Kitten, SSFIV (not exactly but its got the gist of it) or the Miis then I lose that whole feel and a otherwise joyful or cartoonish game looses its charm.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think in some ways the 3DS may do 2D sprites in 3D better than polygons, since the 3D seems to work best when done with inward depth. The effect would likely be similar to a pop-up book, which would probably look pretty darn cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e