[2812] Ketsui: Death Label Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by z3tzilla, Feb 18, 2010.

Feb 18, 2010
  1. z3tzilla
    OP

Newcomer z3tzilla Newbie

Russia
    Hi.

Ketsui: Death Label is one of the best, if not the best, shoot 'em ups on DS. It was made by a small japanese company, Cave, that is famous for making a lot of great bullet hells on arcades. The game doesn't really have a lot of text and the menus are in english, so it's easy to navigate and play, hovewer, your achievements (the EVAC report section) and "Teach me! IKD-san!!" are in japanese. I really wanted to know what's happening in "Teach me! IKD-san!" that's why i started this.

Now, there is one problem. I don't really know japanese. I can translate, to some extent, but this will take a lot of time and the result is not guaranteed to be good.
    I can get the text and images in and out of the rom for editing, i just need someone to help me translate the text.

Progress:
    There are 4 categories which need to be translated.
    -1- EVAC report. 100% done.
    -2- "Teach me! IKD-san!!". 5 out of 40 done. 10 out of 40 translated.
    -3- Menu hints. 0%
    -4- Text in images. 0%

Spreadheets and stuff:
    Teach me! IKD-san!! Lessons 01-10: I've translated those, so i won't make it public.
    Teach me! IKD-san!! Lessons 11-20: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...xxZkE&hl=en
    Teach me! IKD-san!! Lessons 21-30: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...J6MXc&hl=en
    Teach me! IKD-san!! Lessons 31-40: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...lINkE&hl=en
    In-game images that contain japanese text: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2333747/Ketsui%20D...el%20Images.zip
    There's no need to edit them, just translate them =)

Screenshots:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I always wanted to know what they were saying.

Good luck on the translation.

3. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    I always wanted to know how to play (I just pressed the shoot button and tried to survive).

4. NDStemp

Member NDStemp GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp

Canada
    Would be nice. I loved curtain shooters ever since Touhou.

5. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    +1

I love this game, and have been secretly hoping for a translation for awhile. I really hope this is successful.

6. xvirus

Member xvirus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks great so far ;3 Maybe put up a spreadsheet on google docs with what needs to be translated still. With as relatively small amount of text in the game, it shouldn't take too long to do.

7. mixinluv2u

Member mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i can help with image editing if you can provide the images.

i have minimal japanese knowledge, fluent in chinese so i can translate most, if not all kanji. easy japanese words are also not a problem, but more complicated phrases i will need some help with translation.

did quite a lot of work in the JUS and Culdcept DS translation. =) if you want to see my past participations...

8. z3tzilla
    OP

Newcomer z3tzilla Newbie

Russia
    Allright, i'll send you the link once i've gathered all the images.

9. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    Yes, make spreadsheet and a lot of people will help you.

10. bahamut920

Member bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just don't make it public, because there are plenty more people who seem to exist solely for the purpose of replacing all your hard work with garbage or simply delete the sheet.

11. xvirus

Member xvirus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That is why Google Docs is great though. If some dickhat does that, you can easily just go to the revisions menu and revert it back to right before they did that stuff.

12. skroooagh

Member skroooagh GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So glad someone's worked out how to translate all this stuff! Have you posted about it on the system11 forum? There are plenty of guys there who'll be willing and able to help you translate everything. Will be watching this with great interest!

13. z3tzilla
    OP

Newcomer z3tzilla Newbie

Russia
    Allright, i've finally managed to get all the text from "Teach me! IKD-san!!". It's in 4 google shpreadsheets, each one covering 10 "episodes" of it. Here's the link.
    It's not public yet, but that may change, we'll see.
    Those spreadsheets also contain some technical data like the section in which that string is, or pointer address to it. Don't mind it [​IMG] I'll write a small readme about that later.

Okay, i will, thanks for the advice.

14. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    So is this translation dead?

15. caribou007

Member caribou007 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The System 11 forum post on this project is more up to date. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30384

"Translation progress:
    (as of 02.2011)
    -1- EVAC report. 100%
    -2- "Teach me! IKD-san!!". 75%
    -3- Main meny. 100%
    -4- Images. ~50%."

Z3tzilla is the topic creator there, too. However, the title of that topic is "Ketsui Death Label open translation".

And "open", it is. All of the resources are available to the public on Google Documents. Meaning if Z3kzilla doesn't return to it, we can still finish it. It's almost done, anyway.

I'm willing to help. I've been using image manipulation programs for 20 years, and if no one's perfect for doing the rest of the text graphics on the story and ending images, I can give it my best shot. It's not my "specialty", but I'm confident I'll be able to create a good product.

16. 2ndApex

Member 2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

I just downloaded legally ripped this game twenty minutes ago and you bump this 3 year old thread what the hell thank you.

VatoLoco and caribou007 like this.
  17. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    This translation is pretty cool. ive had teh game for quite a while, and could never understand the IKD-san stuff. And, the patch works with my current save file, which is mighty nice, cuz iv'e played the (bullet)hell outta this particular title.