25th Gameboy Anniversary

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Tom Bombadildo, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot

So in case anyone wasn't aware, today is the Gameboy's 25th Anniversary! It released in Japan on April 21st, 1989 and goddamn does it deserve some praise. With approximately 118 million handhelds sold (including the GB Pocket and GBC) and 500 million in software sales, the GB has definitely lived a long and glorious life.

I grew up playing GBC games as a kid, and to this day some of my favorite handheld games are from that era. So lets all take a moment and play some GB games, lets catch all 151 pogymanz, lets fuck shit up in Tetris, let's play some Dragon Quest I&II!

Saucy

Isaac, Ozito and soulx like this.
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I grew up with a GBC as well.
    Had some old GB games.

Huraay for 25 years of being the best handheld ever!

migles likes this.
  3. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Dragon Warrior Monsters fanboat leader checking in. My gaming addiction started with a brick gameboy. Tetris and Kirby's Dreamland 2, baby. I purchased a gameboy pocket, it still works, even after a battery explosion. Even though my life was slower back then, being a child and all, the GB, GBP, GBC, and GBA eras really passed a fast clip.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    wow the first comercial main point was the link cable? this was pretty cool

the original game boy box is a little weird... with that neons..

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I got my first Game Boy - a yellow Pocket - on Christmas of '97, although I think it was technically a birthday present. To this day I sill enjoy the hell out of Pokemon Pinball and Dragon Warrior Monsters as much as any new handheld games, if not moreso; the GB/C library is vast enough that I could probably marathon my favorites for two months straight.

Since then I've owned an original Game Boy, a red GBC, a Platinum GBA, a pearl blue backlit SP, and a Micro, but barring maybe the original GBA I don't think I've put as many hours combined into any of those as I did into my Pocket.

chavosaur likes this.
  6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Now if the 3DS had a box like that, ngl that'd be pretty sweet.

I have a brick gameboy, albeit in rather bad condition, but I'm hoping to get it fixed up and whatnot. I still have my GBA SP (The first Gameboy I had), and I still use it even to this day.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Shouldn't it be a Gameman by now?

Black-Ice and GameWinner like this.
  8. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    Yay Happy b day!

I remember that every time I went out with my parents I tried to lure them into the local shop that sold electronics, just to have a glance at that majestic grey unit.

Little did i know i would have to wait until 2001 before getting one, well it wasn't the GB anymore it was the GBA.

Totally worth it.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I can't remember ever seeing that commercial. :unsure: Not that it needed it...that thing was a prime example of mouth-to-mouth advertising. At school, everyone had one. More so: there was a case of head lice once...it was generally believed that this was caused by all the children watching that same screen with three or more directly next to each other.

When looking back, the name was suspiciously close to playboy. While obviously something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, I'm kind of curious how many parents must've made a fool out of themselves when asking for "y'know...that one device there...what was it called?" in toy stores. :P

10. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I had a Gameboy pocket. Whilst I have fond memories of it, I certainly don't want to relive those days. Gaming on a handheld which lacks a backlit screen is something I never wish to live through again.

11. dxplay2128

dxplay2128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    N.Sanity Island
    yeah, those were dark ages. Also, your post reminded me of a a lamp with a magnifying glass thingy for the game boy color, it was so bulky!

12. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The

Oh yeah. I remember my eyes hurting like hell after an excessive session of gaming on my first GameBrick.

13. NES_player4life

NES_player4life NODERATOR

Newcomer
    May 5, 2011
    United States
    Here's to all the kids that suffered eye strain when playing Super Mario Land
    only to run out of power half way through.
    :hateit:

Thank you Nintendo for giving my generation vision problems and anger-management issues, but
    I would do it all over again if given the chance.
    I hope to see what a Game Boy looks like in another twenty five years.

14. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    My first Game Boy was actually the Super Game Boy for the SNES. The first game I beat for it was Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. I remember that day all too well.

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The original 1993 release of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Non-color) is the best Gameboy game, of all-time. :3

16. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]\
    ;)

17. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Still have mine. The faceplate fell off a couple months back so I had to glue it back on. Guess glue only lasts 25 years. :toot: