Hacking 1st Wii Modchip

nexx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know why everyones moaning about the price, youre not just paying for the hardware. Im betting a lot of time and hard work went into finding this out and it wont be long till other companies just rip off their work with minimal effort and undercut them so they have to make money some how.

Ill gladly support these guys even though it does look pretty easy to make your own.

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not only are get getting one of the first modchip reviews soon, but also the MicroNinja !!! I've been waiting to hear about it, I thought it had dropped off completely since all these new Slot-1's came out.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Foxstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, i dont think the price is that bad. I was gonna go out and buy me warioware smooth moves for $80, but i could just buy this chip for $70ish (AUS). Doesnt seem to bad too me, even if it is region specific. i will just buy a better chip in a few months.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeh you're right. You don't a gamebit for the Wii. A scalpel, small philips and tri-wing is all you need.
What is the scalpel for?
Does anyone know of a guide for disassembling the Wii?
Anymore insight on this futura shop before I place an order?

ditto_n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why everyones moaning about the price, youre not just paying for the hardware. Im betting a lot of time and hard work went into finding this out and it wont be long till other companies just rip off their work with minimal effort and undercut them so they have to make money some how.

Ill gladly support these guys even though it does look pretty easy to make your own.

Uh, no, the method that this chip uses was reveled publicly by some famous console hacker completely unrelated to Ninja. Good on them for being the first to get a chip out there, but this wasn't some grandiose product of a ton of research or anything.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone know of a guide for disassembling the Wii?

opening the wii thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43176

and I can't find anything out about this futura shop.Thanks for that. I'm still waiting for my replacement Wii from Nintendo and I'm already planning to void its warranty
smile.gif

Pity no one seems to have heard of this Futura-Online before now..
QUOTE(Foxstar @ Jan 28 2007, 02:36 PM)For anyone wanting to know how to dissassemble the Wii, i found this site here which is pretty good.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1

EDIT: Its a bit slow to load though.
Yep slow to load, but seems to have all the right info. Thanks for the link, it is also linked in the opening the Wii thread mentioned above.

Hellfenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For all the people moaning about no region hack, this is because the chip is to be put on the DVD drive itself and not on the Wii Board. This is EXACTLY like the X360, it's not region free because the region lock is done somewhere else on the board. I don't know why hackers haven't beat it yet though, on the X360 I mean...

D

Deleted User

as soon as the datel freeloader will be out, we could use it to swap backups region freely, nope ?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Uh, no, the method that this chip uses was reveled publicly by some famous console hacker completely unrelated to Ninja. Good on them for being the first to get a chip out there, but this wasn't some grandiose product of a ton of research or anything.
So we should be able to make our own chip based on what the console hacker revealed to the general public and our knowlege of microcontrollers? I like the challenge, but I don't dare
unsure.gif

On one hand, making my own modchip would cost around $6, on the other hand, the Wii cost me $375, and I'm afraid to risk it with my bungling.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
its the same story with every modchip, the hardware cost next to nothing, but the biggest part is the research that goes into it. i cannot find out the codes to send to the serial port in order to let the wii accept backup dvd's, so i will buy the chip.

It uses the backdoor 2, as seen on the german hacker conference. Its like the xenogc chip for gamecube but then with new commands into it, this takes time to find out these commands and thats why the price is 40 euro.

Also tmbinc at the german hacker conference says that backdoor 2 allows gamecube homebrew to run? Is this also true for the wiinja? and why is it not regionfree where the xenogc chip on gamecube does allow games from all regions to run?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol