120HHD problem

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by grimkiller, Jun 13, 2011.

Jun 13, 2011

120HHD problem by grimkiller at 9:50 PM (1,069 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. grimkiller
    OP

Newcomer grimkiller Newbie

United Kingdom
    ok ive just got a 120 HHD for my xbox360 but it only says 16.gb when connected to a transfer cable?
    when connected to the console itself it say no drive detected.
    ive connected it to my pc and it show 120gb which it is
    ive tried the format in the consol setting but still says 16gb free when finished and configured!
    any help please

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Proper 360 hdd or did you just get a standard sata drive and connect that to it?

As what you are describing sounds like your just trying to use a standard hdd. Which is why you get only 16GB when connected to the xbox via the transfer cable (As you are only permitted to use 16GB memory when connected via usb) and it not being detected when hooked up normally is also what would happen with a standard hdd.

If you are just trying to use a standard drive. then you can't do it on stock 360. You have to use either an official Microsoft drive or a Western digital drive that's been modded for use on it with hddhackr.

If it's suppose to be an official drive, then return it, the security sector has been modified/erased, so it won't work.

3. grimkiller
    OP

United Kingdom
    it comes up as an Hitachi drive when connected to my pc through the data cable,its a genuine HD bought from gamestation at the weekend
    what would happen if i plugged the 120 on the console,and tried to transfer my 60 over to it,and it gets halfway through the process and says not enough space,
    would i loose everything?

4. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    I have no idea what would happen if you tried a transfer, I'm not sure it would actually let you. I think when using the transfer kit, the hdd you want to use (in this case the 120) has to be on the 360 and the one you transfer from has to be on the data cable. As it isn't detecting it, I don't think it will even work.

If it's a genuine one, and it isn't being detected, I'd take it back and get it exchanged. It if isn't being picked up by the 360, then there's only a few reasons for it. Faulty caddy, but considering you say it does detect it on both the pc and on the 360 when hooked up via usb, it seems unlikely. The connector on the 360 itself is faulty, but as the 60GB works, it's clearly not that or the security sector on the drive has gotten messed up, either from it being hooked to the pc or using the format option when it was connected via the data cable (360 would've formatted as it would any usb device). If it's that, then it's simply not fixable.

5. grimkiller
    OP

United Kingdom
    so there is NO way of addingXbox 360 120GB Hard Drive Security Sectors then?

6. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    To a Hitachi drive, as far as I know, no. Hddhackr is capable of doing so, but is only designed to work with certain Western digital drives and writes the security sector and modifies the drive to match it.

Besides that, the security sector holds certain information anyway, HDD serial number, model and some other stuff I can't remember. If the one that was originally on your drive, is damaged or gone for whatever reason, that's it, nothing you can do. You can't use another one as the information in won't match your drive, so the console will reject it.

7. grimkiller
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok thanks for your help
    will take it back and get another [​IMG]