Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kenghot.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi all,
My name is kenghot my site is www.kenghot.com, I come from small country "Thailand". I just completed 100% for ff3 nds translation to my own language (Thai) and released it to Thai's gamer on 11/1/2006 .
It quite successful for this project. So I need to do next project and I've plan to translate FF5 or FF6 on GBA . After I start hacking gba rom , i've found that it's more difficult than NDS . So, Anybody would tell me , where should i start or what exactly i need to know for hacking GBA rom?

Best Regard,
Kenghot

2006-10-10_222429_Town.jpg

2006-10-10_222201_Menu.jpg

sc7py1.jpg

D

Deleted User

I'll need to swallow my heart now. I thought it would be an English translation. Good work though!!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Impressive work there, I am sure the fine people at http://www.romhacking.net/ would be happy to hear about this too.

As for GBA roms they are slightly different to DS in that the pointers in FF3 are contained within the files the text is in whereas the GBA pointers are the byte address of the file with a 08 or 09 (depending on whether the address is in the first 16 or last 16 megs of the file).
I looked briefly at the Japanese FF5 rom the other day and the graphics were not viewable in a tile editor meaning they were likely compressed and it is a good bet the text will be too. Some may say I hope you know ARM7 ASM but if you use VBA-SDL you may be able to trace the decompression routine(s) (especially if they are straight BIOS calls) and then implement your own version.
Other than that it will be buisness as usual: find the and font, make a new one and replace it, make a table, dump the text, translate, reinsert, repoint, translate any graphics you find.
I wrote up a document on GB/DS rom hacking a little while back and made a preview release here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36860 the final version is a little while away but it should help a little.

kenghot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kenghot.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Thanks a lot FAST6191,

Unforturnately, I'm quite new for arm7 i'm just .net programmer. Actaully i didn't know about it. First i'll try to understand your documents.
bow.gif

------------------------- edit -----------
I just read a few pages of your document . It's so a awesome. I might spend a month to read it all.

Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: