Cyburn2008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=496567

Features
- 3G-capable. 2.8 times faster than EDGE.
- GPS built-in
- Thinner
- Better battery life - 300 hours of standby, 2G talk-time 10 hours (as opposed to 5), 5 hours of 3G talk-time (competition is 3 hour 3G talk time), 5 to 6 hours of high-speed browsing, 7 hours of video, 24 hours of audio.
- flush headphone jack

Pricing and Availability
The iPhone 3G will be available July 11th in 22 countries for $199 for 8 GB and $299 for 16 GB. The 16 GB model also comes in white.

Hopefully O2 UK will lower the contract prices.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
$199 ???

Now it's getting interesting..
smile.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm what 199$?? I really dislike iphones, but if that price is right I could get one. Of course european price will be like 599e if it'll be even launched here.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Only $199?
That's a great price...especially since I need a new phone due to the fact my old one got water in it and is no longer functional.

I really do like the iPhones. They're easy to operate and there's a lot of good homebrew for them if you Jailbreak it (hopefully the newer models will get cracked as well). The only problem I have with the iPhone is the price...and they're addressing that with the new one - making it less expensive and improving the phone's quality. Also, the iPhone is going to look real slick in the white color.

@Sable, you really need 32gb's on your iPhone?
tongue.gif

@shaunj66, the phone's camera is already decent. Besides...you don't pay for a phone for it's camera (even though it is a nice feature!).

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I was following the Keynote on Gizmodo and MacRumors. I am hyped about it. At least its only a month away
smile.gif

Lets hope us T-mo users dont have to *hack hack hack* in order to use it though.

so Spikey, mthr....you waiting for this or not?
tongue.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JPH said:
@shaunj66, the phone's camera is already decent. Besides...you don't pay for a phone for it's camera (even though it is a nice feature!).
I do... Since I like to know that I always have a decent enough camera and video recorder when I need it most. But to each their own...

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As i've previously said, i'm really tempted on getting the new "iPhone 3G" now even more than i was before the GPS/3G functions..
Will hopefully be able to get it as a birthday gift in october..
a bit sad though, that there's no expandable memory, like (micro/mini)SD cards, that'd been an awesome upgrade from the previous iPhone.
Oh.. and J2ME/MIDP2 (mobile java stuff) & Flash plugin in the webbrowser, would be a killer too..
ah well.. you can't get everything..
But the price is right though.. (hopefully in sweden as well.. >_

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TaMs said:
Hmm what 199$?? I really dislike iphones, but if that price is right I could get one. Of course european price will be like 599e if it'll be even launched here.

i think steve said in the keynote it would be release around the world at the same time for the same price.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
shaunj66 said:
No better camera? No flash? No video recording? No front camera?

I'll admit the price is right,.. But they could have done so much better.

Not interested
frown.gif

agreed. i was really expecting more
i'm also going to assume the $199 price is only if you start a new 2 year contract with the $30 + data plan

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sick Wario said:
shaunj66 said:
No better camera? No flash? No video recording? No front camera?

I'll admit the price is right,.. But they could have done so much better.

Not interested
frown.gif

agreed. i was really expecting more
i'm also going to assume the $199 price is only if you start a new 2 year contract with the $30 + data plan

the price has nothing to do with the contract since at least in the US the FCC didn't allow phone companies to subsidized the cost of the phone with the plan, or else you would of seen it as cheap as other phones.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the $199 price point is with a new 2 year contract, but doesn't appear to require you sign up for any data plan. And subsidizing costs of the phones has nothing to do with the FCC. If phone companies want to eat their profits on phones by locking people into contracts, that's their prerogative and is exactly how they offer any other phone at a discount.

I'll be picking up 2 iPhone 3Gs when they come out (the wife wouldn't let me get just one for myself!) mostly for support for push e-mail and decent web browsing. I'm on Verizon wireless now and EVDO speeds are good, but the browser on the vast majority of phones sucks balls. I tried the web on the LG Voyager (Verizon's "iPhone killer") and it was painful. I'd much rather use Safari and enjoy using it on my iPod Touch. Pair it with 3G and I have no problem canceling my current contracts.

Sable

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shenjiade.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
JPH said:
@Sable, you really need 32gb's on your iPhone?
tongue.gif

I wouldnt say need, but having 32GB is more than enough. And I like 'more than enough'.

With 32GB I can store albums, movies, photos, basically all kind of shit. And those games? But basically I'll use it as more of a phone & mp3 and videos player. I know alot of other phones out there can do what a phone can do as well as fulfilling a mp3 player's role. But videos on any IPOD is a winner.

All blame DS for not being able to play videos good enough for all my trains trips to work/school.

I'm definitely getting one. But I will wait for >16GB IPhone 3G.

rolleyes.gif

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm so excited about the iPhone being finally released in Australia!
biggrin.gif

Hopefully the price will cross over properly so it should be roughly $230-$250 but i'll be sadly unsuprised if it was $300
frown.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cyburn2008 said:
Hopefully O2 UK will lower the contract prices.

I can confirm what the O2 contracts are for the iPhone 3G

£30/month
8GB iPhone - £99
16GB iPhone - £159
75 mins
125 texts
"unlimited" Data and Wi-Fi
Visual Voicemail
Reduced Roaming Rates
18 Month minimum contract

£35/month
8GB iPhone - £99
16GB iPhone - £159
600 mins
500 texts
Visual Voicemail
Reduced Roaming Rates

£45/month
8GB iPhone - £FREE
16GB iPhone - £59
1200 mins
500 texts
Visual Voicemail
Reduced Roaming Rates

£75/month
8GB iPhone - £FREE
16GB iPhone - £FREE
3000 mins
500 texts
Visual Voicemail
Reduced Roaming Rates

Current iPhone users will have the chance to upgrade (price dependant on the tariff) so long as they sign another 18 month contract.

Source

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...