Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo Korea has announced their official launch of Wii in Korea.

Details:
Wii console: ~$220
Region code: Korea (Incompatible with ANY other region)
GameCube Backwards compatibility: Zero
Virtual Console: Fully compatible
Localization: All

Launch titles:
Wii Sports (Not included in console)
Wii Play
FIFA 08
Elebits
Namco Museum Remix
Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Zack & Wiki

Upcoming titles:
May 2008 : Guitar Hero 3
TBA: Metal Slug Complete
TBA: Bio Hazard (Resident Evil): The Umbrella Chronicles
TBA: Soul Calibur Legends
TBA: Kung Fu Panda
TBA: Mario and Sonic Beijing Olympics (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games)
TBA: Super Mario Wii Galaxy Adventure (Super Mario Galaxy)
TBA: Call of Duty 3
TBA 2008: Wii Fit

Sources: IGN and some Korean gaming sites.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's what I think.
The console is cheap, like, really cheap.
The lineup is crap. Some big titles are not even on TBA list. If Nintendo Korea fails to localize a game, then Korean players will never see the game released at all.

I was wondering why Nintendo was porting GC games to Wii when Wii is fully backwards compatible. This Korean release answered my question.

P.S. VGChartz guy said "it is not clear whether Wii launch is for both North and South Korea" that cracked me up lol

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It is really weird, but change in Wii region code resulted in incompatible GC games released in Korea.
I wonder what happened to all GC related ports and features though.

My girlfriend said "Who's gonna buy Korean Wii instead of Japanese Wii if SSBB, MKart, Zelda, Metroid are not even on TBA list and lacks GC compatibility?"

I think I know, people in their 30~40s buying cheaper Korean Wii for their kids and parents who are only gonna play Wii Sports, not Manhunt 2.

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, thats fake, gamecube IS compadible. Im in korea, we pre-ordered it(in my cousins house, in korea). Since we just needed to go to this korean gaming store, and pick it up. And also, quote "The Koreans won't get Wii Sports included for free though. Nintendo will be offering that title along with Wii Play separately at launch, each costing 4,000 yen." Korean money is "won", not "yen" im sure YEN is for japanese money. And we also picked up: Fifa 08(he loves soccer, im more of a Baseball+Football fan =O), And it isnt region locked! I poped in a Wii Sports(since i also brang my wii, we were playing until today) and it worked. But, it took abit of awhile then usual, after i pressed "Play, or was it OK, w/e" and then it took some time, then everything was fine. And it DOES have GC compadibility. MY cousin had about 16 GC games for his GC, one game didnt work but, everything else did. But the 1st one that didnt work was because it had like a bunch of scratchs.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SavageWaffle said:
Actually, thats fake, gamecube IS compadible. Im in korea, we pre-ordered it(in my cousins house, in korea). Since we just needed to go to this korean gaming store, and pick it up. And also, quote "The Koreans won't get Wii Sports included for free though. Nintendo will be offering that title along with Wii Play separately at launch, each costing 4,000 yen." Korean money is "won", not "yen" im sure YEN is for japanese money. And we also picked up: Fifa 08(he loves soccer, im more of a Baseball+Football fan =O), And it isnt region locked! I poped in a Wii Sports(since i also brang my wii, we were playing until today) and it worked. But, it took abit of awhile then usual, after i pressed "Play, or was it OK, w/e" and then it took some time, then everything was fine. And it DOES have GC compadibility. MY cousin had about 16 GC games for his GC, one game didnt work but, everything else did. But the 1st one that didnt work was because it had like a bunch of scratchs.

4000 won seems really small for a game so I'm guessing it is 4000 yen.

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
Here's what I think.
The console is cheap, like, really cheap.
The lineup is crap. Some big titles are not even on TBA list. If Nintendo Korea fails to localize a game, then Korean players will never see the game released at all.

I was wondering why Nintendo was porting GC games to Wii when Wii is fully backwards compatible. This Korean release answered my question.

P.S. VGChartz guy said "it is not clear whether Wii launch is for both North and South Korea" that cracked me up lol

Not really, north korea and South Korea still hate each other. I still hate the north. Isn't that funny IMO. Oh and incase you were wondering, its out for BOTH NORTH+SOUTH KOREA.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
wow, not only do they remove the gamecube compatibility but they remove Wii sports from the console too talk about rip off, they would be best off buying a NTSC Wii from america or japan even.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SavageWaffle said:
actually, 4000 WON is $4 converted to american money, not sure how much 4000 yen. And Wii Sports is practicly a demo game, only 5 games =O
Yes, but Wii sports was/is the same price as a normal game in other regions. 4000 yen = 38000 won

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When IGN said Wii sports being sold at 4000 Yen, the price was right, it was just in wrong currency.

What actually amazes me is that IGN could tell Korea and Japan are two different countries. You can't spell IGNorance without IGN, but there's been some improvement.

GC compatibility thing is quite interesting. Nintendo said incompatible but in fact they're compatible? What, like Nintendo Korea doesn't want to sell their Wiis by making a statement about backwards incompatibility?

At least Korea seems to be getting decent DS games, but can fans wait till 2009 to play Brawl or will they buy a Japanese Wii?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
We will start seeing Korean releases soon?

I wonder if it works on PAL?
tongue.gif

Internals differ at all? Different drive chipsets? Can it be chipped, region free enabled?

QUOTE said:
I'm not sure I believe you. It isn't even out in Korea! Unless IGN is COMPLETELY wrong, it's due out on the 26th.
wacko.gif
Or something broke the release date.

But in case you're telling the truth, what is the Wii System Menu version? 3.2K?
ph34r.gif

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
coolbho3000 said:
I'm not sure I believe you. It isn't even out in Korea! Unless IGN is COMPLETELY wrong, it's due out on the 26th.
wacko.gif
Or something broke the release date.

But in case you're telling the truth, what is the Wii System Menu version? 3.2K?
ph34r.gif

Oh, wait. That means if he already bought a Wii in Korea, it'd be the Japanese version?

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the first post is 100% correct then I think thats cheap and dumb. In the states it cost 30 bucks more but we get a game and backwards compatibility with our Wii.

I see no reason for them to have region locked the system and also to have no included what it takes to run GC games.

Scardy

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, the region lock is definitely to avoid piracy...
All the Koreans who wanted a Wii here already have their modded Wii, and the sellers hardly tell you it's modded : it is too obvious to mention !
Many shops don't even have the official Wii games but only sell the pirated ones, except for a few rare shops with very little choice.

Regarding the DS, shops usually sell a pack including a DS+card including 50 Korean games in it... ALthough they also sell the legit games for more casual gamers.

I assume Nintendo is planning on selling Wiis only to real casual gamers as they saw the potential of this market with the DS.
They really are not interested in more hardcore gamers in Korea, and you cannot blame Nintendo for it, it's only fair.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps