evilreddot

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xanga.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since the Supercard lite is flush and features upgradable memory, I need some persuasion on why I shouldn't exchange my G6 lite for one...or the other way around.

I don't mind the ugly SCL interface, by the way.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a G6 because I don't have to worry about streaming issues..

Plus I also have a M3 CF and don't want that to go to waste so I'll stick with that for upgradable memory..

And I don't mind the sticking out while playing but the G6 stays in the DSL for dust cover purposes

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't mind the ugly SCL interface, by the way.
Compared to G6's sexy touchscreen menu, SC's interface is ugl... oh nevermind then.
biggrin.gif

But uh, SC would definitely have worse battery life, the question is by how much. Plus fast micro SDs are hard to find and expensive, and even then you won't really know how a card performs on future games (like FF3 and its excessive sexy FMVs), but there's nothing to worry about with a G6 on that front.

SC really does need to do something with their interface though.
wtf.gif

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are pros & cons to both, SCL & G6 have a nice flush look.
The G6 only has 512 Ram non expandable with the SCL having micro
media allowing 1 Gig right now & soon to have more. The G6 has a cute
screen with the SCL having a text screen. The SCL allows double the
amount of games on screen to pick from but only in text. The SCL is
cheaper then G6 but you have to buy your media. The SCL has no annoying
splash screen unlike the G6. The G6 should get a little better battery life then
SCL. And the G6 has better GBA compatibility then the SCL.

If GBA is important go with G6.
If storage & speed is important go with the SCL.
But they’re both excellent at DS compatibility.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In my honest opinion, G6 is far superior in NDS presentation (menu uses touch screen and real game icons, save transfering and switching, etc.) versus SuperCard. In addition, G6 sports a greater compatibility towards GBA, though the menu leaves a bit to be desired. However, if price is the sole factor in your decision along with a disregard of any GBA material, then SuperCard Lite would be your wisest choice. Remember, it's you that is buying, not us. We can only share our opinions, though most are admittedly biased.

jigaboo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
But uh, SC would definitely have worse battery life, the question is by how much.

For all intents and purposes, this might as well be an urban legend. From every thread I've ever read (both new and old), the alleged higher battery use of the supercard has never satisfactorily been proven. Everyone would rather quote a buddy, or someone else they read, but there's no origin of this data!! In fact, the only solid proof I've seen is that M3 and SC have equal battery lives.
Personally, my opinion is simple sour grapes for some users that need to justify the higher price.

QUOTEPlus fast micro SDs are hard to find and expensive, and even then you won't really know how a card performs on future games (like FF3 and its excessive sexy FMVs), but there's nothing to worry about with a G6 on that front.

Uhm, have you checked MicroSD card prices lately? I just picked up a 66x Kingmax 512mb today for canadian $30 (~$27USD). Not altogether expensive. On top of that, you must be a psychic, to know that the G6 will perform wonderfully well for everything in the future while dissing the SC. It plays the current speed bugaboo, Castlevania's FMV, perfectly - what more can you ask of it.

The only REAL issues so far: better GBA support on the G6/M3 products - for a premium. If you feel justified in paying the premium (ie. you want to play GBA games that don't perform well on SC), and don't mind the 512mb hard limit - then you've got your answer. It's a pretty simple decision, really. If homebrew is an issue, the SC is "better" supported - mainly because they haven't changed as many things as the G6 with respect to read/write access to memory. Even so, I expect it to get addressed in time.

Re: prettiness of the menu - honestly, would you really spend that much time admiring it, or would you scroll through it hurriedly to get to the game you want to play?
J

doodad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jigaboo said:
Personally, my opinion is simple sour grapes for some users that need to justify the higher price.

jigabooThe only REAL issues so far: better GBA support on the G6/M3 products - for a premium.

Where's the premium? Hopebuy stocks the G6 Lite for $79.90 and the Supercard Lite for $49. Add the MicroSD, which by your admission is $27 and you have a pretty even match up.

As for pros and cons, the SC Lite has many reports of poor build quality, ie. tight fit in GBA slot and loose MicroSD slot, which in time may cause the MicroSD card itself to fall out or possibly lose contact with the pins. G6 Lite seems to have a superior build and comes with coloured cases as well as a regular GBA case.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But uh, SC would definitely have worse battery life, the question is by how much.

For all intents and purposes, this might as well be an urban legend. From every thread I've ever read (both new and old), the alleged higher battery use of the supercard has never satisfactorily been proven. Everyone would rather quote a buddy, or someone else they read, but there's no origin of this data!! In fact, the only solid proof I've seen is that M3 and SC have equal battery lives.

Sorry, that's no legend. I had an M3 and my brother had an SC (we both now have a G6Lite
biggrin.gif
) and my M3 had definitly more battery time. He nearly had to charge his DS every day when he played a Wifi game (he didn't play the whole day).

niu_niu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been a user of F2A for GBA since forever and have been waiting for a DS solution that would please me. I chose to go with SCL (I'll also buy a miniSD ver for my old DS later on) because to me it's way more convenient to write to removable media. I always hated having to bust out the linker for the F2A, sometimes i would just play games on an emulator because it's so annoying to flash the thing. And the G6 is the same thing (although it has it's own linker while F2A used the GBA itself). plus it seems the supercard has the best and fastest support (patches seem to be out within 1-2 days), and the most compatability with homebrew. The menu is fugly but I imagine it's only a matter of time till a pogoshell DS comes out. About GBA support, well... i just saw a post about a new SC firmware "GBA patch update to 2382
256Mb GBA game can be patched to RESET function, support real time save." so they are still working on it.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've been a user of F2A for GBA since forever and have been waiting for a DS solution that would please me. I chose to go with SCL (I'll also buy a miniSD ver for my old DS later on) because to me it's way more convenient to write to removable media. I always hated having to bust out the linker for the F2A, sometimes i would just play games on an emulator because it's so annoying to flash the thing. And the G6 is the same thing (although it has it's own linker while F2A used the GBA itself).

No it's not the same. I too was a F2A user and you are right, it took forever to flash the thing. But with G6 it's nearly the same thing to write on it as writing on SD: Plug the G6 into the U-Burner and use the software to write on it. It acts like any other USB device and is as fast as any.

QUOTE said:
plus it seems the supercard has the best and fastest support (patches seem to be out within 1-2 days),

Again no. Let's take two recent examples:
1. Mario 3 on 3 came out, worked on SC, but not on G6. One day later a new G6 update was released which fixed it!
2. Starfox came out a week ago: Worked on G6, not SC. Today (nearly a week after the release of the game) the new SC update is released which fixes Starfox, which still cannot run in Direct mode on SC, while it can on G6.

QUOTE said:
and the most compatability with homebrew.

Here you got a point. SCL beats G6L when it comes to homebrew. However it's not the best. The best still are SC CF and M3 CF (see ScummVM).

About GBA support, well... i just saw a post about a new SC firmware "GBA patch update to 2382
256Mb GBA game can be patched to RESET function, support real time save." so they are still working on it.

Trust me, you will be disappointed with GBA performance of SC.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry, that's no legend. I had an M3 and my brother had an SC (we both now have a G6Lite
biggrin.gif
) and my M3 had definitly more battery time. He nearly had to charge his DS every day when he played a Wifi game (he didn't play the whole day).

I'm sorry but you are talking out you're BACKSIDE, my SC CF's only play a small fraction less the a real DS cart. The only way you're fanboism statement can be true is if the M3 incredibly makes the whole DS last 4x the battery life of using a real DS cart on a DS.

btw... please shut up. you're statement is shite and everyone knows it.. so i dare you to confirm you're self a complete liar.

edit.. pants on fire

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sorry but you are talking out you're BACKSIDE

wtf.gif

Sorry that I talked bad about your beloved SC CF...
rolleyes.gif
Just be cool. No need to insult
huh.gif

QUOTE said:
my SC CF's only play a small fraction less the a real DS cart. The only way you're fanboism statement can be true is if the M3 incredibly makes the whole DS last 4x the battery life of using a real DS cart on a DS.

How long is a "small fraction"? I just said that my brother and I compared and I got around an hour more time.
And believe me, I'm no fanboy, I just try nearly all carts: I had F2A, SC SD, M3 CF, M3 MiniSD, EZ4Lite and now G6L. I CAN compare, can you?
You're calling me an M3 fanboy, but I don't have an M3 anymore
nyanya.gif

QUOTEbtw... please shut up. you're statement is shite and everyone knows it.. so i dare you to confirm you're self a complete liar.

edit.. pants on fire

Another
wtf.gif
for the shut up and "shite", whatever shite is...

I might be wrong or right, but I really don't understand how aggressive you react. Such aggressiveness hints on fanboyism if you ask me...

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The SuperCard/Ultra Media Card have the worst battery life performance on the DS. Anyone that doesn't think so or doesn't agree has never a) used another flashcart or b) played regular commercial game carts for a full battery charge. At least the Ultra Media Card people are honest when they claim 5.5hrs of battery life when used in the DS. The SuperCard gets 6 if you're lucky (and not playing WiFi) and if you think that's normal, refer to a) & b)!

I can't speak for the SuperCard Lite improving things any, but the SuperCard CF/SD & miniSD all suffer from what I speak of above. It's not SuperCard vs. any other cart, it's simply fact that the SuperCard has a higher battery hit than competing cards. Again, get a competing flashcart or start playing commercial carts to see how much playtime you're missing compared to everyone else - you'd be surprised.

As to the SuperCard Lite vs. G6 Lite, I can't answer that, beyond the normal comparison - apparently GBA support is still poor on the SuperCard, but to be fair it's meant for NDS games with GBA support as a bonus, it's not built to adequately support both. The SuperCard Lite has removable microSD media allowing you to choose your storage size. From all the reports I read, it seems the build quality of the SuperCard Lite is on par with the EZ-Flash IV Lite (i.e. cheap), but then from my own G6 Lite experience, it's not the most quality constructed product either. The speed is comparible using a high-quality microSD card, so ultimately it comes down to removable media & GBA support as the deciding factors. Whatever is more important to you, choose it and be happy.

512MB of storage is a lot. Every device that uses removable media that I have I only use a 512MB card and I've never filled it. How many games do you need at one time anyway? With the speed at which new releases come out, and the necessity of updating savegames/wiping the card and re-writing, there's no real benefit to having more space unless you're watching crappy quality video and listening to crappy quality audio on your DS just because you can. In fact, with my EZ-Flash IV Lite, I only have a 256MB microSD, and it works just fine! The illiusion/misconception that you need this enormous amount of space is silly. However, that being said if you feel that 512MB is not enough, you're going to want something with removable media, GBA support be damned.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow Qrayzie hit it on the head.....I agree I just redid my G6 Lite and was like damn what can I put on my G6 to fill the extra 250 Megs of space.....just cause I don't like empty space. %12Megs is PLENTY. However I do believe the SC was designed for GBA with NDS added later Qrayzie which SC should get props for. I don't have a SC lite, just and SC but the G6 is the exact same as the G6 lite so I am sure the SC is the same as the SC lite so this debate has indeed already been going on for over a year. The only thing I like about removable media carts is the ability to leave the cart in the DS and still load new games on the removable media. I often used to use my M3 over my G6 because of this. You dont have to search for the Udisk. Now the SC lite has the same feature which deserves some kudos but if you want the best backup playing experience with no slowdowns, longer battery life then the G6 is the way to go. Also at 80 dollars the G6 is freaking CHEAP and you know it works. SC lite is what 50 bucks plus you need memory and you have to worry what kinds are best, ect.....dunno IMO G6 is a DEAL in a HALF

junfeng85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Erm.. A note about the crappy video part... I love the crappy video part... It all thanks to gbalpha.com(english) and gbaflim.com(chinese) Their library of direct downloads for FULL sets of anime and some movies is small in size yet respectable in quality. 50meg for 1/2hour worth of anime. Great on the train rides when there is no games to play. The videos can only be played by g6 and m3. On the downside g6 lite have yet to support *.dsm files(for m3 currently) uploaded by gbalpha.com which is a higher version of *.gbm movies. Thats amazing support from the software company itself.

Another downside, my dad can start bomberman himself using my g6 lite but not with my SC mini.
frown.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Qrayzie knows and I agree 100%. I'm an SC enthusiast but he told the truth. 512MB is alot of space. I personally ordered an SCL because I've been using a SC for so long and I'm familiar with how the hardware works. Plus I love having removable media.

And to put my 2 cents in about the video part, no one really uses .gbs/.gbm anymore lol. Stick to Moonshell and it's kickass DPG video format and it's all good
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Senile discussion felt like we were having this type of conversation already