G6 lite vs Supercard lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by evilreddot, Aug 3, 2006.

Aug 3, 2006

G6 lite vs Supercard lite by evilreddot at 5:03 AM (3,367 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. evilreddot
    OP

Member evilreddot GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Since the Supercard lite is flush and features upgradable memory, I need some persuasion on why I shouldn't exchange my G6 lite for one...or the other way around.

I don't mind the ugly SCL interface, by the way.

2. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I got a G6 because I don't have to worry about streaming issues..

Plus I also have a M3 CF and don't want that to go to waste so I'll stick with that for upgradable memory..

And I don't mind the sticking out while playing but the G6 stays in the DSL for dust cover purposes

3. Tir

Member Tir GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Compared to G6's sexy touchscreen menu, SC's interface is ugl... oh nevermind then. [​IMG]

But uh, SC would definitely have worse battery life, the question is by how much. Plus fast micro SDs are hard to find and expensive, and even then you won't really know how a card performs on future games (like FF3 and its excessive sexy FMVs), but there's nothing to worry about with a G6 on that front.

SC really does need to do something with their interface though. [​IMG]

4. kutis

Newcomer kutis Advanced Member

Austria
    umm,, gba?

5. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    There are pros & cons to both, SCL & G6 have a nice flush look.
    The G6 only has 512 Ram non expandable with the SCL having micro
    media allowing 1 Gig right now & soon to have more. The G6 has a cute
    screen with the SCL having a text screen. The SCL allows double the
    amount of games on screen to pick from but only in text. The SCL is
    cheaper then G6 but you have to buy your media. The SCL has no annoying
    splash screen unlike the G6. The G6 should get a little better battery life then
    SCL. And the G6 has better GBA compatibility then the SCL.

If GBA is important go with G6.
    If storage & speed is important go with the SCL.
    But they’re both excellent at DS compatibility.

6. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Get both.

7. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    In my honest opinion, G6 is far superior in NDS presentation (menu uses touch screen and real game icons, save transfering and switching, etc.) versus SuperCard. In addition, G6 sports a greater compatibility towards GBA, though the menu leaves a bit to be desired. However, if price is the sole factor in your decision along with a disregard of any GBA material, then SuperCard Lite would be your wisest choice. Remember, it's you that is buying, not us. We can only share our opinions, though most are admittedly biased.

8. jigaboo

Newcomer jigaboo Advanced Member

Canada
    Uhm, have you checked MicroSD card prices lately? I just picked up a 66x Kingmax 512mb today for canadian $30 (~$27USD). Not altogether expensive. On top of that, you must be a psychic, to know that the G6 will perform wonderfully well for everything in the future while dissing the SC. It plays the current speed bugaboo, Castlevania's FMV, perfectly - what more can you ask of it.

The only REAL issues so far: better GBA support on the G6/M3 products - for a premium. If you feel justified in paying the premium (ie. you want to play GBA games that don't perform well on SC), and don't mind the 512mb hard limit - then you've got your answer. It's a pretty simple decision, really. If homebrew is an issue, the SC is "better" supported - mainly because they haven't changed as many things as the G6 with respect to read/write access to memory. Even so, I expect it to get addressed in time.

Re: prettiness of the menu - honestly, would you really spend that much time admiring it, or would you scroll through it hurriedly to get to the game you want to play?
    J

9. doodad

Newcomer doodad Member

Where's the premium? Hopebuy stocks the G6 Lite for $79.90 and the Supercard Lite for $49. Add the MicroSD, which by your admission is $27 and you have a pretty even match up.

As for pros and cons, the SC Lite has many reports of poor build quality, ie. tight fit in GBA slot and loose MicroSD slot, which in time may cause the MicroSD card itself to fall out or possibly lose contact with the pins. G6 Lite seems to have a superior build and comes with coloured cases as well as a regular GBA case.

10. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Sorry, that's no legend. I had an M3 and my brother had an SC (we both now have a G6Lite [​IMG] ) and my M3 had definitly more battery time. He nearly had to charge his DS every day when he played a Wifi game (he didn't play the whole day).

11. evilreddot
    OP

Member evilreddot GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Since GBA isn't important, I'll probably go with the SCL...IF gamersection.ca refunds my G6 lite.

12. niu_niu

Newcomer niu_niu Member

Puerto Rico
    I've been a user of F2A for GBA since forever and have been waiting for a DS solution that would please me. I chose to go with SCL (I'll also buy a miniSD ver for my old DS later on) because to me it's way more convenient to write to removable media. I always hated having to bust out the linker for the F2A, sometimes i would just play games on an emulator because it's so annoying to flash the thing. And the G6 is the same thing (although it has it's own linker while F2A used the GBA itself). plus it seems the supercard has the best and fastest support (patches seem to be out within 1-2 days), and the most compatability with homebrew. The menu is fugly but I imagine it's only a matter of time till a pogoshell DS comes out. About GBA support, well... i just saw a post about a new SC firmware "GBA patch update to 2382
    256Mb GBA game can be patched to RESET function, support real time save." so they are still working on it.

13. SpaceJump

Germany
    Trust me, you will be disappointed with GBA performance of SC.

14. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom

I'm sorry but you are talking out you're BACKSIDE, my SC CF's only play a small fraction less the a real DS cart. The only way you're fanboism statement can be true is if the M3 incredibly makes the whole DS last 4x the battery life of using a real DS cart on a DS.

btw... please shut up. you're statement is shite and everyone knows it.. so i dare you to confirm you're self a complete liar.

edit.. pants on fire

15. SpaceJump

Germany
    Another [​IMG] for the shut up and "shite", whatever shite is...

I might be wrong or right, but I really don't understand how aggressive you react. Such aggressiveness hints on fanboyism if you ask me...

16. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    The SuperCard/Ultra Media Card have the worst battery life performance on the DS. Anyone that doesn't think so or doesn't agree has never a) used another flashcart or b) played regular commercial game carts for a full battery charge. At least the Ultra Media Card people are honest when they claim 5.5hrs of battery life when used in the DS. The SuperCard gets 6 if you're lucky (and not playing WiFi) and if you think that's normal, refer to a) & b)!

I can't speak for the SuperCard Lite improving things any, but the SuperCard CF/SD & miniSD all suffer from what I speak of above. It's not SuperCard vs. any other cart, it's simply fact that the SuperCard has a higher battery hit than competing cards. Again, get a competing flashcart or start playing commercial carts to see how much playtime you're missing compared to everyone else - you'd be surprised.

As to the SuperCard Lite vs. G6 Lite, I can't answer that, beyond the normal comparison - apparently GBA support is still poor on the SuperCard, but to be fair it's meant for NDS games with GBA support as a bonus, it's not built to adequately support both. The SuperCard Lite has removable microSD media allowing you to choose your storage size. From all the reports I read, it seems the build quality of the SuperCard Lite is on par with the EZ-Flash IV Lite (i.e. cheap), but then from my own G6 Lite experience, it's not the most quality constructed product either. The speed is comparible using a high-quality microSD card, so ultimately it comes down to removable media & GBA support as the deciding factors. Whatever is more important to you, choose it and be happy.

512MB of storage is a lot. Every device that uses removable media that I have I only use a 512MB card and I've never filled it. How many games do you need at one time anyway? With the speed at which new releases come out, and the necessity of updating savegames/wiping the card and re-writing, there's no real benefit to having more space unless you're watching crappy quality video and listening to crappy quality audio on your DS just because you can. In fact, with my EZ-Flash IV Lite, I only have a 256MB microSD, and it works just fine! The illiusion/misconception that you need this enormous amount of space is silly. However, that being said if you feel that 512MB is not enough, you're going to want something with removable media, GBA support be damned.

17. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Wow Qrayzie hit it on the head.....I agree I just redid my G6 Lite and was like damn what can I put on my G6 to fill the extra 250 Megs of space.....just cause I don't like empty space. %12Megs is PLENTY. However I do believe the SC was designed for GBA with NDS added later Qrayzie which SC should get props for. I don't have a SC lite, just and SC but the G6 is the exact same as the G6 lite so I am sure the SC is the same as the SC lite so this debate has indeed already been going on for over a year. The only thing I like about removable media carts is the ability to leave the cart in the DS and still load new games on the removable media. I often used to use my M3 over my G6 because of this. You dont have to search for the Udisk. Now the SC lite has the same feature which deserves some kudos but if you want the best backup playing experience with no slowdowns, longer battery life then the G6 is the way to go. Also at 80 dollars the G6 is freaking CHEAP and you know it works. SC lite is what 50 bucks plus you need memory and you have to worry what kinds are best, ect.....dunno IMO G6 is a DEAL in a HALF

18. junfeng85

Newcomer junfeng85 Member

Singapore
    Erm.. A note about the crappy video part... I love the crappy video part... It all thanks to gbalpha.com(english) and gbaflim.com(chinese) Their library of direct downloads for FULL sets of anime and some movies is small in size yet respectable in quality. 50meg for 1/2hour worth of anime. Great on the train rides when there is no games to play. The videos can only be played by g6 and m3. On the downside g6 lite have yet to support *.dsm files(for m3 currently) uploaded by gbalpha.com which is a higher version of *.gbm movies. Thats amazing support from the software company itself.

Another downside, my dad can start bomberman himself using my g6 lite but not with my SC mini. [​IMG]

19. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You can never have enough space...

*Bill Gates shys away in the corner.

20. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Qrayzie knows and I agree 100%. I'm an SC enthusiast but he told the truth. 512MB is alot of space. I personally ordered an SCL because I've been using a SC for so long and I'm familiar with how the hardware works. Plus I love having removable media.

And to put my 2 cents in about the video part, no one really uses .gbs/.gbm anymore lol. Stick to Moonshell and it's kickass DPG video format and it's all good [​IMG]