GBAtemp 2011 Tutorial Competition!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
While developers get a chance to win big money with our Homebrew Bounty (nearly $5,500 at stake!) we thought we would give everyone a chance to get prizes with a competition open to all our members, i.e. without programming knowledge: a tutorial writing competition. Tutorials help other people understand a particular subject, they are especially helpful for educating newcomers and reducing 'noobism'.

tempscripts.png

GBAtemp 2011 Tutorial Competition
CATEGORIES
There are 5 categories of tutorials in this competition:
c27.gif
Nintendo DS & DSi hacking and homebrew tutorials
c105.gif
Nintendo Wii hacking and homebrew tutorials
c236.gif
Sony PSP hacking and homebrew tutorials
c219.gif
Sony PS3 hacking and homebrew tutorials
c240.gif
Tutorials for other "alternative" consoles (Dingoo, GP2X...)
PRIZES
For each of the 5 categories, posting a tutorial will get you a chance to win a prize among the following (all prizes will be shipped free of charge regardless of your location):
1st prize: one of the last GBAtemp Limited Edition Supercard DSTWOs on earth
ohmy.gif
(offered by GBAtemp)
2nd prize: an Acekard 2i (3DS Ready) flashcart (offered by DScartshop*)
3rd prize: a R4i Gold 3DS flashcart (offered by DScartshop*)
4th prize: a R4i DSN 3DS flashcart (offered by R4idsn.com)
5th prize: a R4i DSN 3DS flashcart (offered by R4idsn.com)
Yes you read correctly, there are 25 prizes up for grabs in this competition! The five prizes listed above will be offered to the top tutorial authors in each of the 5 aforementioned categories!

RULES & RECOMMENDATIONS
If you want a chance to win one of the prizes, you must respect the following rules:
  • You have until May 22nd, 23:59 (GMT) to submit your entries. That's about 3 weeks from now.
  • You may submit as many entries as you want, you are not limited to one. However you can only win one prize per category.
  • Tutorials must be new and original (not previously posted on the Internet) -- tutorials already posted on the 'temp are also not eligible.
  • No copy-pasting from other sites (or from existing tutorials on the 'temp). Doing so will result in a warn and your entry will be deleted.
  • For better chances to win, ensure that the tutorial you are writing about hasn't already been covered by others on our forums.
  • Try to avoid posting tutorials about subjects already covered by others. You will have a higher chance of winning a prize if your tutorial is on a unique subject.
  • To enter the competition, simply post a tutorial in the proper section. Read below.
  • We have created new forums ("Tutorials & FAQs") for each console as you can see on the board index. As for the last category of this competition, tutorials should be posted in this forum.
  • Entries will be judged by members of our staff. Staff members who wish to enter the competition are allowed to do so but they will not participate in judging.
DIRECTIONS
What kind of tutorial should you write? That is a good question and this is why we thought we'd give you directions.
  • Beginner's guides: guides that use simple words and screenshots to describe subjects that seem simple to you, but that might appear knotty for the average joe.
  • HowTo's: detailed guides that answer a particular question or describe a specific operation.
  • FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions. Those guides are focused on answering questions that people usually ask about a subject.
  • Glossaries: explain complex terms using simple words, allowing newbies to understand advanced subjects.
To upload screenshots you may use the GBAtemp picture upload service.

SPONSORS
This competition is sponsored by two generous affiliates: DScartshop, and the R4iDSN.com team. On behalf of the community, thank you for your generosity!
*: prizes offered by DScartshop can be exchanged for items of similar or lesser value sold by DScartshop.com. More details will be given if you win a prize.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
there you go guys
wink.gif
it's up to you now!

QUOTE said:
However, what about non-gaming tutorials? Are those eligible? Not really planning to make one though.
as long as they fit in the categories...
for example, something like "how to play divx on the PSP" is totally eligible IMO.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, I'm guessing Dialexio and I cannot submit our guide?

Since we worked pretty hard on that.

But I understand we if can't~

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo DS & DSi hacking and homebrew tutorials.Does that mean only NDS in general or can I go deep into a particular flashcard?

EDIT:It says 25 prizes.. typo?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wow I want to enter but I don't trust myself in writing a nice perfect Tutorial or answering peoples questions at a FAQs topic.....hmm, maybe I should try something.

D

Deleted-273695

Dter ic said:
and this also includes things like iDevices and Androds? no?
This
Can you please add a slot for tutorials for iDevices and androids?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
iFish said:
Wait, I'm guessing Dialexio and I cannot submit our guide?

Since we worked pretty hard on that.

But I understand we can't~
You can't unfortunately

QUOTE(Rockstar @ May 2 2011, 10:27 AM) Nintendo DS & DSi hacking and homebrew tutorials.Does that mean only NDS in general or can I go deep into a particular flashcard?

Anything NDS related afaik.
And no it's not a typo. 5 categories x 5 prizes = 25

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Rockstar said:
Nintendo DS & DSi hacking and homebrew tutorials.Does that mean only NDS in general or can I go deep into a particular flashcard?

you can write about whatever you want (flashcart, homebrew, etc.) as long as it has a connection with NDS ... so yeah sure
not a typo... read the article again, I've made it a little more clear
tongue.gif

QUOTEand this also includes things like iDevices and Androds? no?
we didn't have enough prizes for another 6th category...
but feel free to post tutorials in this section to celebrate its opening: http://gbatemp.net/f240-general-tutorials-faqs
biggrin.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
shadowmanwkp said:
Can you also make tutorials on emulators that emulate consoles on the pc? They don't really fit into homebrew, or hacking...

no, sorry. the other console section is for emulators, homebrew, applications, etc, that work on other consoles (dreamcast, dingoo, pandora, etc). the "PC" is not a console, even if consoles are sometimes considered to be "computers", so the emulators that run on it won't fit into any of our categories.

-another world

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Another World said:
no, sorry. the other console section is for emulators, homebrew, applications, etc, that work on other consoles (dreamcast, dingoo, pandora, etc). the "PC" is not a console, even if consoles are sometimes considered to be "computers", so the emulators that run on it won't fit into any of our categories.

-another world
How about other factors of the PC, like How to install linux, or how to program in C or something?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
KingdomBlade said:
I'm guessing that PC and Retro consoles count into the "Other" category?
no, its just that there is no category for that. Not that we don't want to have such tutorials on the 'temp, it's just that we don't have enough prizes to cover everything.
The last category of the competition is for alternative consoles like the Dingoo A320, A330, the GP2X, Wiz, Canoo, etc.
but it's not for "others" or "pc" or "oldies" .

QUOTE(ihackedit @ May 2 2011, 04:44 PM) Do we post ones for NDS in NDS - Tutorials and FAQs?
yes, that's correct sir.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1