DSdonkey77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I am expecting a dstwo in the mail any day now so I got my memory stick all set up. I loaded it with games and plugins and music. It took me a couple hours to download all the files and I have deleted them. I have one problem though. when I formated my memory card used windows built in formatter. I have read that you are supposed to use a Panasonic formatter. Will my dstwo still work if it was just formatted by windows? Why do you have to use the Panasonic one? I didn't do a quick format, I did the long one if that matters at all. Anyway, do I have to do all that stuff over agin, or will it probably be okay if I just leave it?
P.S. I'm using a 4gb Lexar class 2 microSDHC card.
Thanks

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the standard Windows format, and haven't experienced any problems in the couple of months I've had my DS2. I've run a pretty wide variety of homebrew through it too.

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSdonkey77 said:
Sir_Voe said:
You still should keep a back up the contents of your SD card on your PC though.
i have the roms, I just delected all the plugins and firmware, plus it takes a while to copy it all again.

Not as long as it will take you to find, download and transfer the files back to your SD card if something unexpected happens while a program is writing to it and it becomes corrupted/unreadable. I've been there with my old M3 card, and believe me you'll be kicking yourself. It's worth the bit of inconvenience for that added security.

DSdonkey77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sir_Voe said:
DSdonkey77 said:
Sir_Voe said:
You still should keep a back up the contents of your SD card on your PC though.
i have the roms, I just delected all the plugins and firmware, plus it takes a while to copy it all again.

Not as long as it will take you to find, download and transfer the files back to your SD card if something unexpected happens while a program is writing to it and it becomes corrupted/unreadable. I've been there with my old M3 card, and believe me you'll be kicking yourself. It's worth the bit of inconvenience for that added security.
I don't understand though, why does the windows formatter cause things to go wrong, and if something went wrong would it brick it? I will probably just wait until the next firmware update to format it properly, as long as it is working. And is a class2 memory stick sufficient to play games?

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only talking about something going wrong when you're running one of the amateur developed homebrew programs, or if you were to unknowingly power down your DS while something was being written. You don't really have to worry about damaging your DS2 or DS, just the integrity of the data written to your SD card. Even that's not something you need to obsess about, but once you've got your data backed up all your bases are covered regardless.

DSdonkey77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sir_Voe said:
I'm only talking about something going wrong when you're running one of the amateur developed homebrew programs, or if you were to unknowingly power down your DS while something was being written. You don't really have to worry about damaging your DS2 or DS, just the integrity of the data written to your SD card. Even that's not something you need to obsess about, but once you've got your data backed up all your bases are covered regardless.
okay, thanks

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC the panasonic sd formatter completely reorganizes the structure of the sd card to meet SD standards while the windows formatter just wipes it clean.

usually a normal windows format should do fine but if there are problems the first thing to try is reformatting with the panasonic formatter

DSdonkey77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Terminator02 said:
IIRC the panasonic sd formatter completely reorganizes the structure of the sd card to meet SD standards while the windows formatter just wipes it clean.

usually a normal windows format should do fine but if there are problems the first thing to try it reformatting with the panasonic formatter
Thanks, I downloaded the program but I won't use it unless I encounter problems.
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4