Another dad rant thread

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So anybody who reads some of my blogs, knows that me and my dad, simply don't get along. At all. No matter what it is, we always disagree and argue. This time, it isn't about me (well, mainly).

Short Story:

My younger sister who's 18 years old, has two jobs, both at clothing stores. One is called Smart Set, which is clothing and the odd jewelery selections. Like Hot Topic basically, but not as faggy. The second job is a clothing store for toddlers called Please Mum. Simple enough.

She's had the jobs since November. And a couple weeks ago, my younger sister was promoted to Store Manager at Please Mum. Which is pretty cool considering her first job and everything. Let her live in the spotlight for a while.

Now with her two jobs, because of the way it's set up, she gets paid every week, one week from store a, next week from store b, and so on. And she's bringing in around $400.00 each week. She lives with my older sister and her boyfriend.

And my dad spent the last hour, after he decided "okay, enough's enough, she has to go to school." So he called her up out of the blue, which he never does, and started yelling saying that being a manager at please mum isn't going to get her through life. Here's where my first question: It depends on what kind of life she wants. She could easily get a nice place to rent that is only $600.00 a month, giving her some spending cash.

He said "I don't care what you say, but I'm going to talk to the university tomorrow (he's a carpenter at Simon Fraser University) and get you some programs. She said (these are my own words) "No, because I just turned 18, I finally have some spending money without asking people, and I want to do everything myself and go to school when I'm ready to."

That didn't sit well with my dad.

He hung up and called her a disappointment and that he won't be talking to her for the next couple months because she's being stupid, and deserves nothing good.

I was unloading the dishwasher, and as I was coming back to my room, minding my own business didn't say a thing, he goes "all of my children are fucking morons. None of them will go to school or anything. You need a piece of paper to live in this world."

Now before you say "well he's right", here's his definition of living.
  • Having your own home.
  • Having an extra piece of land for a cabin.
  • Being able to buy cars and motorboats and tv's
So in other words, he's materialistic. He says if you aren't bringing home $150,000 a year, you might as well put yourself on welfare because that's not a good life.

None of us are like that. My older brother works for Coca Cola as a trucker, he gets paid $1300 every week.
My older sister works as a store manager at London Drugs and makes around $24.00 an hour, averaging about 35 hours a week,
My younger sister who lives with my older sister is bringing home $400.00 every week, and my older sisters boyfriend is Loss Prevention, so his schedule is whatever, but he gives himself 40 hours a week. They're all living comfortably.

Now, for me, because of the way I have been for the last 2 years with my back, I haven't worked, but in the spring, I'm moving up with my older and he got me a job with Coca Cola, all I have to do is get my trucking license.

My older sister is going to school right now as a day care worker, she'll get paid a lot more in the long run, and she loves children and it's a job she wants to do. My dad tried convincing her "no, there's absolutely no money in that. that's not a job you want." Same with my brother, he LOVES trucking. My dad said the same thing.

My older brother has gone to school, and my older sister is. My younger sister is saving up to go to a specializing school because the university doesn't offer the course she wants. And yes, we've all told my dad this, even my mom.

What are your opinions on what my dad is trying to do with us. Him telling us to do this stuff is hypocritical considering he moved to British Columbia with us when he had no job here, and yet he made it. He's also spent the last 2 years telling me that I can't move outside of british columbia because of my back, and if there's another problem, I'm screwed, so it's safer for me to stay here and go to school.

Do you think what he's doing is right? Or just being a plain dick head, and we should ignore him and just live our lives the way we want and pursue the jobs that we want?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
It depends on what kind of life she wants. She could easily get a nice place to rent that is only $600.00 a month, giving her some spending cash.
Maybe a room
unsure.gif

My rent for a single room is $450 and it is WAY on the low side.

Apartments and such are going to be at least $900 plus utilities.

So...roommates are cool.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat said:
ShadowSoldier said:
It depends on what kind of life she wants. She could easily get a nice place to rent that is only $600.00 a month, giving her some spending cash.
Maybe a room
unsure.gif

So...roommates are cool.

only if you know the roomate well.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Maybe a room
unsure.gif

So...roommates are cool.

Nah not here. You could easily get a basement suite or anything with 2 rooms and all the utilities included for $700, not crap dirty places either.

I also forgot to add she has a bf who has his own place and brings in good money.

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Maybe a room
unsure.gif

So...roommates are cool.
well im renting out a room and im paying $400 a month, and ive seen apartments for $600 a month that included utilites, so you just have to search enough and youll find something good

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your dad sounds like a prick. The trick to living comfortably on an income as such is to never get into debt.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is your younger sister hot?
had to ask.

Your Dad is being a moron. Your younger sister seems to be doing quite well. I'm a little envious actually.
Ditto for your other siblings.

Just ignore him. That's what I do with my Dad, and he makes a -lot- of stupid comments about my life as well (really, he can machinegun insults, and none ever make any sense).

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hells Malice said:
Is your younger sister hot?
had to ask.

Your Dad is being a moron. Your younger sister seems to be doing quite well. I'm a little envious actually.
Ditto for your other siblings.

Just ignore him. That's what I do with my Dad, and he makes a -lot- of stupid comments about my life as well (really, he can machinegun insults, and none ever make any sense).

she has a bf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: