OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future-screenshot.jpg

??????????????​

This is the most recent Layton game that Level-5 released in North America. I'm actually quite a big fan of the Layton series, but I will try to remain as unbiased as possible.

The game is the standard Layton game with some improvements. The game actually improves in both graphical and gameplay factors. In fact, there are some greatly appreciated improvements in this game to improve the overall experience (especially for the casual gamer) I'll make it pretty short, because I know some of you don't really like to read long reviews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound:

I just have to say that this game has an amazing soundtrack. It's music is sometimes recycled from the other games but overall, it works. The song's music fits in beautifully with the theme. It contains a good amount of tracks to listen to and it doesn't interfere with the puzzle solving at all. Sometimes, it actually helps.

The SFX is cute to listen to also, but not really the best, since I do note it's nearly the same as the previous time. There is also a jukebox option after completing the game.

The voice actors are quite good, except I must note I hate the voice of Flora. Overall, I do not see any flaws with the sound and it's an enjoyable listening experience. This is one of the few games where I don't have my iPod on when playing.

8.9/10

Graphics:

Beautiful 2D sprites and an amazing art style. It has an anime-like comic style that's so cute. The puzzle graphics offer some sort of guidance and the cutscenes just seem amazing. They are very well animated.

My only complaint on the graphics was the mildly blocky car mini-game, but overall, I can find no flaws in the graphics. Well done again, they took the previous graphics and polished them even more.

9/10

Gameplay:

The gameplay is basically the same as the previous Layton games, but with a few improvements. The best of which are the new hints. They added a "Super Hint" which is almost a free giveaway of the answer. It makes this really easy to solve and you still won't find yourself running out of coins. The core gameplay is still the same though. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since it is actually tried and tested and works really well. There are also mini-games which you can use for unlockable puzzles.

The gameplay works so it's overall pretty good. It get's tedious at times (a lot of puzzles) but it's still good.

8.6/10

Replay Value:

The game isn't that good after. You will be able to unlock some extra puzzles, but after that's done, there's not really much to do. There are also some downloadable puzzles afterwards, but it sucks for people without Wi-Fi (me). The bonus section is also pretty good, offering a jukebox and way to watch movie afterwards. Overall, it's not really worth playing again, but you may want to for the sake of the story.

8.1/10

8.7/10

A great game, I consider it one of the best in the series. I recommend it to puzzle fans or those that would like a way to exercise your brain without using Brain Age. It's beautifully presented and feels great to listen to. The story also draws you in like a visual novel. Overall a great game.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oi. About the voice acting. You're reviewing the US version, which has rubbish American actors doing mock British accents. You oughta try Lost Future. Flora and Luke have real British actors who aren't the same person.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Midna said:
Oi. About the voice acting. You're reviewing the US version, which has rubbish American actors doing mock British accents. You oughta try Lost Future. Flora and Luke have real British actors who aren't the same person.

Well, I just watched the Layton movie and it was amazing, and I noticed that Flora's brief voice cameo did sound better, but I actually prefer Luke's voice here. It sounds cuter for me, the UK Luke sounds too high pitched. (of course this is my personal opinion)

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you could expand on the gameplay section? I only briefly played previous games in the series, and I'd like to know a bit more about the puzzles and minigames.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: