Hacking What is best USB loader and partition to use?

m0b1us

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone seems to have their favorite USB loader, and with all the various "here is my version of the million similar ones out there" it can be quite confusing to select the real best one.

I'm not interested in flashy special effects, just that it does the following. (Currently I'm using the original USB loader 1.5, the one prior to everyone else's copying / modding, I think it was by Waninkoko this past March.)
* Display game titles (original as disk / file says or my own, either is OK)
* Display game covers (regular box is OK, 3D and DVD not needed but acceptable if they happen to be there)
* Loads without the 002 or other errors (never ran into this but heard of it..I think some late 2008 games were my most recent to test with)
* Loads cheats (never used cheats yet but I know it can come in handy and my wife would play certain games for the story if infinate life and stuff were available)
* (that's all I can think of that I'd need)

Also, what is the best partition to use?
* USB = I'm using a Western Digital (My Passport Essentials) 500GB drive. Currently it is WBFS but I've heard a lot of systems want FAT (16) or FAT32 or NTFS.
* SD = I've got a 4GB SDHC card currently in normal FAT (not FAT32) format.

That brings up my next question. It appears that although most applications want FAT, they don't support the version of FAT that is for >2GB drives (the one that XP warns is not compatable with older versions of Windows), or don't support FAT32, or don't support NTFS. So what can I do here? What is the all around acceptable format to use on my 4GB SD?
(HBC 1.0.6 does see my unsupported-FAT card, it wouldn't read FAT32 or NTFS which is what XP wants to natively do.)

I do have my games so reinstalling isn't a big problem although I'd rather just copy them from the HD back to my PC & then back to the HD if I'm repartitioning. Also when I do this I'd like to keep the actual game size (1GB, 1.5GB, what ever) and not have it make the big 4.5GB "full original disk image" size. I've currently got WBFS manager to install the game images although I've also just ripped them from the Wii itself using the USB loader.

win32rcbot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
U can install as many USB loader as u want...
Just try them all...CFG USB loader is the good old one...the best & more challenging one is Wiiflow whitch is AWEZOME !

Lots of oldschool hate change so they keep using the old CFG. But open minded people love Wiiflow...Do your choice ! Try them both
smile.gif

I have a 500Gb with the folowwing partition :
1rst partition 200 Mo in FAT32, done with dedicated tool (XP doesn't let u do a big fat32 partition)
==> used for Triiforce + emulator + divx
2nd partition 300 Mo in WBFS : tons of wii game backups !

This works perfect ! Good combo.

m0b1us

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll try the USB loaders later when I get a chance this weekend.

What tool do you use for the large FAT32 format? And my problem was that HBC wouldn't read FAT32 so I went back to FAT after giving NTFS a try. Does everything actually support FAT32 (since I'm talking about a 4GB SDHC card, I'll do that in Windows, the drive I'll need a special tool or maybe just do the size Windows allows since I dont need much, can do DIVX on another hardware and pair of 1TB drives).

shadowtroop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like CFG USB loader, but you could drown in the text only options, although the configurator helps with that.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
win32rcbot said:
Lots of oldschool hate change so they keep using the old CFG. But open minded people love Wiiflow...Do your choice ! Try them both
smile.gif

That's kind of a silly presumption to make.
What exactly is "old school" when USB loading hasn't even been around for a year yet?
tongue.gif

I'm pretty open-minded, but I'm not all that fond of WiiFlow. Nice GUI and all but I prefer the layout and options of GX (as I'm sure you can tell from my signature).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...