R4DS Homebrew Contest

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

A UK based R4 website, is launching it's first DS homebrew contest. After the registration period, there will be a public vote to determine the best 10 entries. Each entry in the top 10 will win a cash prize, with $200 going to first place. Any DS homebrew software, old or new, game or app, is eligible for entry in the contest. For more information check the source link below.

Information said:
1st Prize: $200
2nd Prize: $100
8 x Runner-up Prizes: $25

Register Your Homebrew:
You have 1 months to register your homebrew in the contest. Send your name, the name of your software and your website address to [email protected] by the 31st of July.

icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would be really wary of this mainly due to the fact that THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL UK R4 TEAMS!

they are clone sites/cards!

Also WHY THE HELL WOULD A UK SITE OFFER A PRIZE IN $$$'s DOLLARS?? (yes I'm shouting in CAPS its intentional!)

we use POUND £££'s STERLING here and being a Brit poster davidtube you should of spotted that too!

Cema

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreeing with the prior posts. Don't post this, it seems really... wrong. And once the file is uploaded with the logo, even if you delete it, they can still keep it on their site.

DO NOT do it. Keep building your homebrews, though!

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
R4 Revolution and the Alternatives
Be first to leave a comment

There are lots of alternatives to the R4 Revolution. They all really do pretty much the same thing – act as an adaptor for the Nintendo DS or DSi to read from and write to SD cards.

The question is which one should you buy. The most well known is the R4 Revolution. As I’ve mentioned plenty of times on this site, it has a massive identity crisis, with a huge amount of imitations, some with similar and some with exactly the same name. On top of that there are different variations of R4s from the companies that emerged out of the original R4 Revolution team. Because the original company has split up, there are no more official updates of the firmware. You can however get unofficial firmware updates.

The M3 has appears very similar and the software it runs is also very similar (so similar that R4 Revolution and can older editions of the M3 firmware). As with the R4, the latest edition of the firmware for the M3 was created in early 2008.

There are a host of other cards including the DSTT, AceKard, CycloDS. Each has their supporters but there seems to be no easy answer to the question of which is best. At the end of the day they pretty much do the same job and all work reasonably well if you get a good quality unit.

oh good. they know the original company split up and they are telling people to get alternatives like M3, Acekard, DSTT, and Cyclo

I wouldnt worry in this website. I'll study this website for more info if they'll rip your homebrew and make them theirs or not.

EDIT: Why use US currency? that's so intruiging.

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
perhaps because the conversion between pounds and USD makes it cheaper to pay out?

EDIT: Just noticed the poster xD

davidtube
Group: Newcomers
Member No.: 185,383

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RE: GBP vs USD

International contest, and USD < GBP, so its a cheaper payout.

Maybe this will get some steam back into DS Homebrew, as imo this year has been lackluster compared to previous years.

Lughaidh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ethan94 said:
I found this on the site
fake-r4-300x199.jpg

:facepalm:
It's Sher4lock Holmes! (ugghh, worst pun ever)

unsure.gif
This is very intresting but I'd say it's a scam...

On the $ Vs £ issue: Who says that there actually British? What if their site is just .co.uk?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
warbird said:
Maybe this will get some steam back into DS Homebrew, as imo this year has been lackluster compared to previous years.

Why say that?? ...when the NEO FLASH team run contests like this every 3 MONTHS or so and they just had their SPRING 2009 competition in March!
smile.gif

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I'm glad I've got to see what you think of the contest so I can answer your questions and calm your concerns.

It's not an official website run by the R4 team, but the website is about the R4 so it's named the "Top 10 R4 DS Homebrew.

I am British but chose to list the prize in US dollars to make the contest seem more open. I didn't want any anyone thinking a prize in pounds meant it was only a UK competition. I considered Euros but I think USD is still the most internationally excepted currency and also... yeah I does save me a bit of money by doing it in dollars.

I'm not going to rip your software off. I don't even ask that you sent it to me. I'm not going to host it on my site. I just want your homebrew's name, email address and website (if you have one). Then I'll put your homebrew in the list with a link to your site for people to vote on.

I know it's a bit suspicious when someone you've never heard of (with no posts - I'm not much of a forum guy) is suddenly doing something like this but the prizes are genuine and I'm not trying rip any of you off.

If you have any more questions or worries, please let me know.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
davidtube said:
I am British but chose to list the prize in US dollars to make the contest seem more open. I didn't want any anyone thinking a prize in pounds meant it was only a UK competition. I considered Euros but I think USD is still the most internationally excepted currency and also... yeah I does save me a bit of money by doing it in dollars.

Then you must be more clear in what your trying to do people get Sued for that kinda misrepresentation or misleading information!

We need more information before committing anything to anyone more so with the recent plight of the R4 team at the mercy of NINTENDO ... ANYTHING with the R4 name attached to it will be flagged up as suspicious as the official R4 team no longer exists and you will know that!

There are enough scammers and fake card makers out there etc already using the R4 name to cash in on the brand name!

Our questions and I speak on behalf of the forum is ..

1) Why the contest for a large chunk of money using the R4 name? (people are skeptical about the R4 name as it is!)

2) What do you get out of this/in return to recoup your $500/£303/€354/$CAD 573/$AUD 619/$HK 3875/$NZ 773 etc??

3) What proof can you give that your not just going to bundle a load of our/others hard work with some R4 cards and sell them for a profit!?

(other flash card makers/retailers have done this in the past note we had these sites taken down for breach of the GPL GNU licence laws! ..For those that don't know there was once a slot 2 card that bundled DS ORGANIZE and some other apps and sold it as a retail product)

4) NEO FLASH (a pretty big company been around for years) and run these contests pretty regular for cash sums and or prizes what makes your competition different and why should we choose to enter when no one until now has ever heard of you or whatever your company/organization etc actually does!?

5) WHO are you etc? ......Your a pretty noobish poster here regardless of you don't write on forums much you appear on here with a contest as per 4) no one has heard of you or your company etc an introduction is usually the norm otherwise you will get/be treated as per spammers/bots ruling ie POST NUKED!

6) Why do you want their emails etc what do you intend to use any information you get from them for you don't really make this clear what your intentions are?

I'm sure other users here will ask more questions but these are some of mine and no doubt some thoughts and views of others here!

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your questions Koby.
kobykaan said:
davidtube said:
I am British but chose to list the prize in US dollars to make the contest seem more open. I didn't want any anyone thinking a prize in pounds meant it was only a UK competition. I considered Euros but I think USD is still the most internationally accepted currency and also... yeah I does save me a bit of money by doing it in dollars.

Then you must be more clear in what your trying to do people get Sued for that kinda misrepresentation or misleading information!
I'm not sure that I can be sued for having a prize in a different currency can I?

1) Why the contest for a large chunk of money using the R4 name? (people are skeptical about the R4 name as it is!)

The site is about R4s, that's why it's got the name. I don't think anyone is thinking it is an official website.

2) What do you get out of this/in return to recoup your $500/£303/€354/$CAD 573/$AUD 619/$HK 3875/$NZ 773 etc??

Hopefully, I'll get some links to my site and more traffic. I might make money back through my (not-just-there-to-make-me-money-but-useful-to-users) affiliate links.

3) What proof can you give that your not just going to bundle a load of our/others hard work with some R4 cards and sell them for a profit!?
(other flash card makers/retailers have done this in the past note we had these sites taken down for breach of the GPL GNU licence laws! ..For those that don't know there was once a slot 2 card that bundled DS ORGANIZE and some other apps and sold it as a retail product)

I can't really prove it but I don't sell anything on the site and if I was going to do that, I'd just find it by searching, I wouldn't ask for it. Also, you're welcome to have my site taken down. If there is any kind of scam going on, you can contact pipten.com and inform them of it.

4) NEO FLASH (a pretty big company been around for years) and run these contests pretty regular for cash sums and or prizes what makes your competition different and why should we choose to enter when no one until now has ever heard of you or whatever your company/organization etc actually does!?

Why my contest is different:
The R4 Homebrew contest is open to all. You don't need to have specifically designed or edited software for this contest. You don't need a splash screen with my site's name on it and you are welcome to enter software which has been entered in other contests. If you've already made homebrew software, it'll take very little time to enter.

Voting is different because it is also more open. You don't need to qualify to cast a vote. Everyone can vote. As with political elections this has draw backs but overall I feel it's fair (I know some will disagree), and it makes this contest different. The aim is to get more people involved in voting and entering. We can then draw up a top 10 most popular DS homebrew chart.

Only DS Homebrew is accepted.

5) WHO are you etc? ......Your a pretty noobish poster here regardless of you don't write on forums much you appear on here with a contest as per 4) no one has heard of you or your company etc an introduction is usually the norm otherwise you will get/be treated as per spammers/bots ruling ie POST NUKED!

Sorry.
I run a website which tells people who are probably less clued up on homebrew than people on here, about what the R4 can do with homebrew and how to avoid being scammed when buying one. I researched customer feedback for all the main uk R4 sellers and brought it together to help buyers judge where to get theirs from. I hope that some find this useful and it makes me commission from people buying through stores I have listed on the site.

6) Why do you want their emails etc what do you intend to use any information you get from them for you don't really make this clear what your intentions are?

Good point, I'll make that more clear on the site. I only want their emails to contact them about the contest and let them know if they've won.

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
warbird said:
RE: GBP vs USD

International contest, and USD < GBP, so its a cheaper payout.

Thanks Warbird :-)
Nice to hear something positive.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont really see why people (mostly kobykaan ?) would be skeptical towards this. Its not like anyone could be scammed by this (at most, they would be scammed out of development time if there was no payout. But we still would have new homebrew...)

RE selling GPL software bundled with flashcarts. There is nothing illegal about this (apart from maybe the flashcarts themselves, which is a gray area I guess, depending on where you live), as long as the source code is available upon request. Of course you could argue that its morally wrong, but you can argue that about flashcards too.

If I was hosting this type of competition, I would probably require that the entries be exclusively hosted on my page for a set amount of time after the conclusion of the contest (1 week or so) to drive extra traffic to my site though.

Good luck Davidtube, hope you get many excellent entries, and that deciding the winner will be a difficult task
smile.gif

One question though: Does the software have to be made from scratch during the period of the contest? Or is it possible to enter with just an update to an existing software? Or enter a piece of homebrew already made, without new additions? The rules doesn't state anything regarding this.

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again Warbird. I'm glad you pointed out that something wasn't clear in the rules. Any software is welcome. It doesn't have to be new or even updated. As long as it is entered by the person who created it, it's allowed.

I'm really not planning on scamming anyone, but you don't know me so I can understand some suspicion. I wish I'd started with a smaller prize to build some trust before going in with this.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral. If I do, report me to google and my hosting company.

There's no risk, all I'm asking for is a link to your website which I can post on mine so people can vote for your homebrew.

I'm taking a pretty big risk with this and would really appreciate it if the story was reconsidered for the homepage (although the negative comments directly below might not help).

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right firstly @warbird if you wrote a program and entered it in this or any other contest then the organizer bundled it with a flash card and made a profit out of it and you got nothing for your hard work would you be happy about this or pi$$ed at the fact you could of been getting paid for it directly ?

This is EXACTLY what happened with DS ORGANIZE you ALL know its free software and always has been yet an unscrupulous company was bundling it as part of the OS of a slot 2 flashcard without DragonMinded's permission and thus WAS in breach of the GPL/GNU license laws covering this area ...sure you can LEGALLY SELL stuff with GPL but only if the author agrees to this/authorizes it!

@davidtube Thanks for making things clearer for the forum users here ... I'm sure yourself you wouldn't plunge headlong into anything without reading the fine print first same as anyone
smile.gif

I'm NOT looking to report anyone I'm just asking a lot of relevant questions a lot of people generally want to ask but never get the courage to ask outright!

My comments are not NEGATIVE they are INQUISITIVE and got the answers I was questioning!

If people need to know the facts you made them perfectly clear now davidtube
smile.gif

....But will add here the R4 has a LOT OF STIGMA here on GBAtemp forums mainly due to there are NO LEGIT R4 cards out there now they are ALL clones (although the M3 team are supposed to be rebranding and releasing the R4 card as a legit real card people are still skeptical!) and many have bought and suffered the Wrath of Clone R4 cards and their incompatibility's and flaws and lack of updates and this makes them VERY BITTER towards the R4 brand name anything remotely associated with it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.