Hacking Softmodding vs. Hardmodding

Zowayix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the main difference between a softmodded Wii and a hardmodded Wii?

From what I've read, a softmod is using a hacked Zelda Twilight Princess save file to put a Homebrew Channel onto your Wii, while a hardmod is physically disassembling your Wii and installing a modchip.

I've also read that certain applications on the HBC allow you to burn and play Wii ISOs on a DVD, so why would someone use a hardmod instead of a softmod, when it is much more likely to brick a Wii with a physically soldered modchip?

unknownworlder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To answer your first question, a soft modded wii is basically free, but can be blocked by nintendo.
A hard modded wii costs money and you can potentially damage your wii when your soldering the thing.

To answer your second question, a physically soldered modchip can easily play isos and a soft modded wii has to use the homebrew loader program which has 2 problems: 1, not all games are compatible, 2,you can only store so much in 512 mb of memory as far as i know.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unless youre a complete dumbass hardmodding poses no problems other than voiding your systems warrenty. it is a physical chip therefore there is no risk of bricking anything. Though it costs money, you must disassemble your wii, and you usually have to solder some wires, there is no reason unless you're just broke and don't want to fuck with your wii not to hardmod.

on the other hand. softmodding is free. compatablilty is very high, though backups run at 3x, not much is affected during gameplay, however, again if you're a complete dumbass there is a slight chance you can brick the wii, though it is usually pretty simple to unbrick it, you still have a small chance. I'd recommend you look at some tutorials around the forums, and look at all the information about modding before you actually attempt it. though it is rather painless to do, if you do run into a problem, you will usually be able to solve it yourself by reading what the dumbass before you did wrong. i can't really recommend a softmii or miiwii package to you. though they are very simple to use, and all you have to do is follow the guide, a complete noob really doesn't know what they are installing, and will sometimes fuck it up. again i'd look around the forum a bit, research a little on softmodding before you do it.

Zowayix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unknownworlder said:
To answer your first question, a soft modded wii is basically free, but can be blocked by nintendo.
A hard modded wii costs money and you can potentially damage your wii when your soldering the thing.

To answer your second question, a physically soldered modchip can easily play isos and a soft modded wii has to use the homebrew loader program which has 2 problems: 1, not all games are compatible, 2,you can only store so much in 512 mb of memory as far as i know.

Thanks a lot! I guess I will have to buy a modchip or something.

Question:
How can a softmodded wii be blocked by nintendo?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unknownworlder said:

Umm, what? For one thing, Wii games are more than 9 times the size of the Wii's internal memory so even one couldn't fit in the NAND. Softmodding requires burning the ISO to a disc just like hardmodding. And the actual backup launchers hardly take up any space and are stored on your SD card unless you install them as a channel. I suspect I'm responding to a troll post but want to keep this from misinforming people.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Kimikal27, you are owning yourself in this topic. You say unknownworlder is right, even though he says compatibility for softmodding isn't as good as hardmodding, which you disuputed in your previous post. (You are wrong by the way, it does have lower compatiblity).

Also, Fenrir is right in regards to Wii games not being able to fit on the Wii and also that the Wii does not run ISO's. It runs discs with the ISO image burned onto them, therefore meaning they are backups of discs. ISO's run via ISO loaders, which means the game does not need to be on a disc.

He is also right about the backup loaders taking up a low amount of space.

I agree with Fenrir about the troll post.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it.

Softmodding, stems from homebrew code so you will need to gain a copy of Zelda twilight princess initially. Come in two main forms, those being standalone and incorporated into the system menu (earlier versions needed a homebrew launching app, current versions can allow you to use your normal disc channel to do whatever).

Hardmod: now there are several types of chips.
Drivechips: these vary from the initial wiikey style chips (I know there were earlier ones) to later d2pro type chips as Nintendo changes the type of chip the drive used. You can swap back and forth between drives quite easily. The newest models are presently unable to be chipped and that does not look set to change any time soon, the slightly older ones Nintendo has made very hard for those new to the game to install unlike the first few generations which were trivial. There are some clip on chips but I am not overly enamoured with them (others swear by them though).

Drive replacements: these are very new and come in two main forms although they both install in the same way.
Drive emulators: Only the flatmii comes here right now, it hooks up to the USB of your computer and allows you to stream ISOs from your PC with the flatmii essentially being the new wii drive (although you can still use your existing drive at the "same time". Although it acts in a similar way to the methods below you will still need a chip or softmod to play burned discs in the drive.

Cable chips (I need a better term), for the most part I consider them softmod on a chip (same limitations and owe more than a passing nod in how they work as far as I understand it).

Re NAND: there are some early stage hacks and regarding size take a look at scrubbed sizes and take a bit more off for updates and the like. That is the real size of a wii game and there is some early stage work happening on the subject.

The "best" I would say is a hybrid between the two methods (forget warranties), long have we been able to use homebrew to boost compatibility and do other fun things even with commercial games.

Shopping list for the ultimate modding kit (I will leave out SD cards but you will want a decent sized one 512 is what I would consider using although you can use smaller).

Flatmii. Says it all really, this allows you to keep a selection of isos on a computer (often a few hundred megs each if you store them properly)

Drive chip (pick one, they all do the same thing and as I already mentioned software hacks can make up for any lack of updates bar GC streaming audio). You may have trouble installing one of these with a flatmii.

USB Gecko- not a necessity by any means but quite useful. The software counterpart (which works without the device albeit with reduced functionality) helped out rather nicely in the earlier times.

Also on the subject of homebrew a wired connection could possibly be handy at some point as wireless hardware and some of the linux based homebrew do not get along.

Softmod kit, many exist and most do the same thing. Others focus on or add customisation but I say spend some time reading up and customise by hand pulling anything from packs if that is what you want.
As mentioned you will need a copy of twilight princess to play this homebrew thing properly (although flatmii could take care of that), if you are still at an earlier menu (3.3v1 or below if memory serves) then you might not even need that.
Long story short you need to get the 3.2 system menu (all advantages of the later versions can be obtained)
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer for this. You may also need to downgrade your IOS if they have been patched (current softmod methods should take of this but I would do it anyway).
There is an app that should be coming at some point called bootmii that allows you to load code before the system menu and all that it entails, in the meantime there is an app called preloader that people are using in place of it (it is not quite the same but still very good and affords most of the immediate benefits for those of us in these circles that bootmii could)
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader

When it comes down to it softmods have a 3x read limitation (chips other than the cable chips have 6x) which can have an effect although recent versions of softmods are very good and you really need a stopwatch to tell and compatibility on one or two games is lower but they can usually be fixed.
I mentioned fixing, Nintendo try various things and people like to mod things; hardmods if done with good hardware can avoid most of it although I strongly suggest you know how to do it all anyway (IOS patching is the main word you want to know with wiiscrubber and multiboot being the others, there are some additional tricks you might want to know but save it for later).

The only other thing you might like is a NAND chip (to allow swapping around or switching), these do not exist commercially and short of proper electronics skills I would not suggest it. Advantages are negligible for most people (more NAND space = more wads and not much else)

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
unknownworlder said:

i was saying this part is right

the NAND of the wii only takes 512mb that are used for channels and saves, not full wii games, never

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
re: compatibility. Most of the issues stem from

1) people using the "wrong" IOS, you can patch this but some people mess this up, skip it and delete the iso or similar. Chips can avoid this for the most part due to the way they work versus how the softmod works. This is an extra step and a lot of the would be "hackers" are incredibly lazy and clamour for a burn and play arrangement, granted a simple chip affords this so I can see where they are coming from to some extent.
Not sure where things stand on compatibility these days even with this taken into account (last I checked I think there was a game or two still not working) these days.

2) the 3x read limit, this is a definite problem in older versions but newer work has seen this come to the point where it is not very noticeable. Earlier games may have crashed, suffered sync issues, longer loads, online play may have not worked.
I could probably still demonstrate some of these issues but there is room for debate as to what causes it.

3) People using bad media, bad burners or not bitsetting. Most drives allow you to change booktype (long story short DVD+R and DVD-R exist and there are slight differences, chips generally do not care but softmods do)

I think the best way to describe it is to compare it to the present condition of the R4 in DS flash cart world, you can play most games with a bit of fiddling but it is not going to be as nice as an up to date method.

Again too many people consider it a binary choice and forget that a chip does not preclude any of the softmod advantages.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am both hardmodded and softmodded.

I have a Wiikey 2 with a Wiiclip v14 (Pre-soldered)

Wiikey 2, D2Pro, etc... can play all discs (Both Wii and Gamecube) from your region 100% and have the discs go at 6X speed.

Modchips have about 99% compatibility with out-of-region discs.

With modchips, you will be able to block updates from the disc channel (With Wiikey2 you can do this as well others though I'm not sure).

If you dont want to block the updates, you dont have to. Meaning those with modchips can update their Wiis and not have to fear anything. Nintendo can not do anything about modchips, but Nintendo can easily block softmods.

With softmods, you are limited to 3X speed for Wii Games. So games like Super Mario Galaxy, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Wario Ware Shake It, etc... all have stuttering videos. With a modchip forcing the reading of discs to 6X speed, all videos play normally without any stuttering.

Not all gamecube games are working correctly with softmods.

With modchips, all gamecube games work correctly.

Wiikey 2 website:

http://www.wiikey.cn/

QUOTE said:
Compatible with DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, D2C-2 and D2E chipsets
Compatible with all regions, USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
Compatible with D2B "cut pin" drives (does not require the cut pins to be connected)
Fully configurable and updatable via DVD
Advanced automatic region detection with fallback (works even if a drive is changed to a different region Wii)
Region override for Wii and Gamecube games
Direct Boot of Wii original, import, and backup games
Direct Boot of Gamecube original, import, and backup games
Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode
Supports multi-disc games, DVD-R, +R, +RW (no bitsetting required)
Supports Dual Layer
Supports factory made 'silvers', even with incorrect header data
Supports, SMG, SSBB, Mario Kart and other 'problem' titles
Streaming audio-fix for Gamecube games
Diskspeed configurable via DVD, with separate settings for different media types
Recovery mode makes it impossible to brick the chip with a bad flash
8Mbit onboard flash for storing data and applications
Rock solid performance with 3.3V FPGA core and high quality components
Multifrequency Ringpiece Oscillators (MRO) for optimum performance, even with problem drives
Onboard status LEDs

This takes the cake: Supports multi-disc games, DVD-R, +R, +RW (no bitsetting required)

No bitsetting required which cant be done with softmods.

Its on sale:

http://foundmy.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=319

No soldering required if you take the pre-soldered clip installation, but its best to solder directly onto the board.

Free shipping!

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ofcourse, but softmods can only currently block updates on firmware 3.2

With hardmods, you can block it at any firmware you want
tongue.gif

swf3

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zowayix said:
What's the main difference between a softmodded Wii and a hardmodded Wii?

From what I've read, a softmod is using a hacked Zelda Twilight Princess save file to put a Homebrew Channel onto your Wii, while a hardmod is physically disassembling your Wii and installing a modchip.

I've also read that certain applications on the HBC allow you to burn and play Wii ISOs on a DVD, so why would someone use a hardmod instead of a softmod, when it is much more likely to brick a Wii with a physically soldered modchip?

go with hardmod
softmods i.e softmii have been known to kill wiis

D

Deleted User

SECTION REMOVED

To Topic Creator, you've create triple/double threads. I answered in one of them and I shall repeat it again:

Read the Homebrew Starter's Guide. Good Luck!
wink.gif

EDIT: To be frank, having both would be the best combo. Reasons:

1)Certain games needs IOSes to run. And if you're one of those who got their Wii chipped from a retailer, you are told to NOT update your Wii, hence, you are not able to run certain games and result to sending your Wii back to the retailer and pay them for something that is supposed to be FREE.

2)Old games like Red Steel can't be run on Softmod alone (Correct me if I'm wrong).

3)6x speed on backups. Probably not major but if you play Wario Land or some other games, they will stutter/slow-down due to the 3x speed of backup running (If you're heading for Softmod only that is).

4)Chip = Almost 100% Compatibility (Due to games that need certain IOSes)
Softmod = Almost 100% Compatibility (Due to old games which cannot be run)
Both = 100% Compatibility (Old games will run and you can easily run games that need certain IOSes)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-