Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
As the story goes my brothers friend first got this Xbox for free from some guy because the disk drive wasn't working. So he took it and opened it up and found that there was a quarter stuck in the drive for some reason lol. When we was opening it out he noticed that it was modded too. The modchip is Super Aladdin Live, I did a little research on it and its supposed to be pretty good. So anyways he sold a bunch of stuff on eBay on the week of Black Friday and made about $1700. With some of that money he bought himself an Xbox 360. So he gave it to me for free because he knew I am in to the whole modding and pirating scene! Its awesome, I don't have a game console in my room so this is awesome!

A couple cons though are that I have no clue how to operate the damn thing though lol. I looked at some instructions but they made no sense. Its not like a regular modchip. I can't even use it until tomorrow though because my brothers friend gave me the wrong A/V Cord lol.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have two old Xbox consoles and both are used solely to run XBMC
I can't think of a better use for them but I also have all the other consoles modded for playing games. I was never a big fan of original Xbox games though too.

Much of the modding will depend on how it is set up currently, you may have to get the AV cable to get a better start on it. If it boots up to the default dash then you may have to do some work to get the exciting stuff happening.

NeSchn

Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
I have two old Xbox consoles and both are used solely to run XBMC
I can't think of a better use for them but I also have all the other consoles modded for playing games. I was never a big fan of original Xbox games though too.

Much of the modding will depend on how it is set up currently, you may have to get the AV cable to get a better start on it. If it boots up to the default dash then you may have to do some work to get the exciting stuff happening.

I was reading up about it and it says to get the modchip to work you have to hold the power button on for like 1 or 2 seconds. I will try all this stuff tomorrow, right now I am downloading Ninja Gaiden Black just to screw around and figure out how to work this thing. Then I will start getting games that I actually wanna play, I do like Ninka Gaiden but that shit is hard lol.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Wow, nice one NeSchn. See, we were talking on IM the other day and I was telling you about my 360
tongue.gif
I gave you Xbox luck.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NeSchn said:
I was reading up about it and it says to get the modchip to work you have to hold the power button on for like 1 or 2 seconds. I will try all this stuff tomorrow, right now I am downloading Ninja Gaiden Black just to screw around and figure out how to work this thing. Then I will start getting games that I actually wanna play, I do like Ninka Gaiden but that shit is hard lol.
Just note that some chips need to be started in different ways depending on how they are installed. My boxes are permanently in 'chip on' mode for example. That is because of how I installed them. As I have never installed or had experience with your particular chip I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.
If you just want to play 'backups' then there is nothing tricky to do, just make sure the chip is active and boot the game as normal.

I haven't seen that original XBOX dashboard since the chips were installed though, I can play backups still but I don't.
Are you interested in 'homebrew' (doesn't seem right to call XBMC homebrew) on the console or just backups?

NeSchn

Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
NeSchn said:
Just note that some chips need to be started in different ways depending on how they are installed. My boxes are permanently in 'chip on' mode for example. That is because of how I installed them. As I have never installed or had experience with your particular chip I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.
If you just want to play 'backups' then there is nothing tricky to do, just make sure the chip is active and boot the game as normal.

I haven't seen that original XBOX dashboard since the chips were installed though, I can play backups still but I don't.
Are you interested in 'homebrew' (doesn't seem right to call XBMC homebrew) on the console or just backups?
Mostly backups I didn't even know there was really any homebrew. Could you tell me about some?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no homebrew? The original xbox is probably the best homebrew console ever (the wii looks set to take the crown though, if only because of the large USB devices and SDHC).
Emulators for the 16 bit era and backwards are as good as any PC emulator I have use, the PS1 one is decent and the N64 can play more than a few games.
On the other side of the coin XBMC is a top flight media player, the only thing it struggles with is some of the high end H264 stuff.

shtonkalot's is sound about the method by which there are installed and I have no experience with the chip either (by the time I got around to it softmods were as good as chips with a few provisos). However this appears to be what you want:
http://www.modchipstore.com/support/index....=16&nav=0,3

My suggestion then is to get something called autoinstaller deluxe aka AID (AID 4.40 is the latest), it contains all the best xbox homebrew in a nice installer package. XBMC updates fairly often so I suggest the "t3ch xbmc" builds instead.

Next get one of the tearaway cables for the controller and a USB extension lead (you could get away with something that only has a female socket but the ability to use the controller on a PC would be lost). Open up the wires and solder (or join if you have to) like coloured wires to each other, I prefer not to cut the wires but to expose the copper and join that, insulate it and repeat. The xbox lead will have a wire left over, yellow if I recall correctly, but it is not important.
You can now use a fair few USB sticks for XBMC, not all will work and you can not use things larger than about 4 gigs (basically no external drives worth a damn).

If using xbmc and you can leave the xbox in the router set up file sharing on your machine (I have done it with SAMBA and windows inbuilt) for while FTPing is nice and burning discs is also easy enough (note use of that chip means you likely have a older xbox and the older drives did not like DVD+R* all that much) the ability to simply grab it off the drive is one I would not give up easily.

* http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux_...D_Burning_HOWTO , note you can quite easily stick a cheap PC drive that can read things onto the xbox ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php ) and you can always set the booktype to the one you want (there was a guide around here the other day but it is not that difficult).

Lastly you might consider a bigger drive, the xbox comes with either an 8 gig drive or a 10 gig one formatted as 8 (which you can then make into 10, guide at xbox scene link above) but you can stick an IDE drive into the xbox quite easily. This however is one of the provisos of the softmod, when softmodding an xbox you have to lock the drive and some can not do this http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list but a lot of chips have the ability to just stick a new drive in and bypass the need for locking. You chip has the patch to allow big drives (not a problem on softmods) but I do not know if it has the bypass option. The main reason for this is to store games on but multi iso discs are easy enough to make and the stock drive is usually big enough to store a game or two.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Very cool
happy.gif
Someone offered me a free Xbox because he has 7 of em, but he lives all the way in BC and I don't feel like paying to get it shipped
tongue.gif

However if I did have one I'd use it solely for the XBMC... not that I don't have enough media centers already in my house
tongue.gif
(a 360, a D-Link DSM-320, 2 laptops, and a 1TB Media Server to host my movies)

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have an Xbox with that exact same chip. Indeed, to activate the chip you need to hold the power button for about a second. Then it boots with an EvoX logo in the top left corner. If it's activated you can boot backups.

Mine has a 160 GB hard drive in it as well. It's full of homebrew, media and games. Installing XBMC is a big plus. It has a very nice interface, it can play almost any movie and music and it even runs games from a nice menu.

This chip is quite good. It does what it's supposed to do: boot backups and homebrew
smile.gif
The problem with my Xbox is that it doesn't work without activating the chip because the hard drive isn't locked, and I don't feel like risking breaking it...

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hankchill said:
Man now that I think about it, I might take that guy up on getting the free Xbox..

do it, you are missing out on playing retro games in 720p plus other great features too, and you have the added bonus of playing old xbox games your current 360 can't play.

NeSchn

Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Wow, nice one NeSchn. See, we were talking on IM the other day and I was telling you about my 360
tongue.gif
I gave you Xbox luck.
Haha yeah! Thanks for that!

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Dec 14 2008, 12:53 PM) no homebrew? The original xbox is probably the best homebrew console ever (the wii looks set to take the crown though, if only because of the large USB devices and SDHC).
Emulators for the 16 bit era and backwards are as good as any PC emulator I have use, the PS1 one is decent and the N64 can play more than a few games.
On the other side of the coin XBMC is a top flight media player, the only thing it struggles with is some of the high end H264 stuff.

shtonkalot's is sound about the method by which there are installed and I have no experience with the chip either (by the time I got around to it softmods were as good as chips with a few provisos). However this appears to be what you want:
http://www.modchipstore.com/support/index....=16&nav=0,3

My suggestion then is to get something called autoinstaller deluxe aka AID (AID 4.40 is the latest), it contains all the best xbox homebrew in a nice installer package. XBMC updates fairly often so I suggest the "t3ch xbmc" builds instead.

Next get one of the tearaway cables for the controller and a USB extension lead (you could get away with something that only has a female socket but the ability to use the controller on a PC would be lost). Open up the wires and solder (or join if you have to) like coloured wires to each other, I prefer not to cut the wires but to expose the copper and join that, insulate it and repeat. The xbox lead will have a wire left over, yellow if I recall correctly, but it is not important.
You can now use a fair few USB sticks for XBMC, not all will work and you can not use things larger than about 4 gigs (basically no external drives worth a damn).

If using xbmc and you can leave the xbox in the router set up file sharing on your machine (I have done it with SAMBA and windows inbuilt) for while FTPing is nice and burning discs is also easy enough (note use of that chip means you likely have a older xbox and the older drives did not like DVD+R* all that much) the ability to simply grab it off the drive is one I would not give up easily.

* http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux_...D_Burning_HOWTO , note you can quite easily stick a cheap PC drive that can read things onto the xbox ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php ) and you can always set the booktype to the one you want (there was a guide around here the other day but it is not that difficult).

Lastly you might consider a bigger drive, the xbox comes with either an 8 gig drive or a 10 gig one formatted as 8 (which you can then make into 10, guide at xbox scene link above) but you can stick an IDE drive into the xbox quite easily. This however is one of the provisos of the softmod, when softmodding an xbox you have to lock the drive and some can not do this http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list but a lot of chips have the ability to just stick a new drive in and bypass the need for locking. You chip has the patch to allow big drives (not a problem on softmods) but I do not know if it has the bypass option. The main reason for this is to store games on but multi iso discs are easy enough to make and the stock drive is usually big enough to store a game or two.
Damn thats a lot of stuff! Kinda confusing too seeing how I'm new to the whole Xbox modding and homebrew scene. Im pretty sure I'll learn this in a couple weeks.

Also I forgot to say that the Xbox also came with a 120gb harddrive too. I got hooked up
smileipb2.png
!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E