DS #2835: Master of the Monster Lair (USA)

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has become one of my favorite dungeon crawlers next to Etrian Odyssey.

I just played it and I love the gameplay. You pretty much have to dig out your own dungeon to lay areas to attract monster so you can fight them and kill them for items to get better items to do it again. It just keeps multiplying all these great features. You even level your stats by choosing from one meal once a day. The meal is made from food you might get from monster drops. Everything seems to depend on monster drops. The only way to get monsters and good items depends on how you arrange the rooms in the dungeon.

It all comes down to you making everything work. It sort of feels like you're building your own game. I've only unlocked four monsters so far, but there are suppose to be bosses and such once I add more monster to the lair. Looking at the collection screen, it doesn't seem to be a huge number of monsters, but I can always hope for more in a sequel. This is so addicting that I only stopped because by battery got low.

Everyone should try it for themselves and decide if they like it or not.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HeatMan Advance said:

I just played it and I love the gameplay. You pretty much have to dig out your own dungeon to lay areas to attract monster so you can fight them and kill them for items to get better items to do it again. It just keeps multiplying all these great features. You even level your stats by choosing from one meal once a day. The meal is made from food you might get from monster drops. Everything seems to depend on monster drops. The only way to get monsters and good items depends on how you arrange the rooms in the dungeon.

It all comes down to you making everything work. It sort of feels like you're building your own game. I've only unlocked four monsters so far, but there are suppose to be bosses and such once I add more monster to the lair. Looking at the collection screen, it doesn't seem to be a huge number of monsters, but I can always hope for more in a sequel. This is so addicting that I only stopped because by battery got low.

Wow. Reading that has made me want to play this game! Neato.

Kamakazie

Trophies
Website
www.kamakazie.net
XP
Country
United States
HeatMan Advance said:

I would like to nominate this as the best post ever.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
never judge a game by its cover!
lecture.gif
...nor bad ones nor god ones
wink.gif

i will check this out because what HeatMan wrote sounds very interesting to me

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure this is the same game as Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground on PSP, but with a different style of graphics.
I thought that game was pretty fun, but got bored of it after a while because it became quite repetitive.
I like the look of the graphics in this version more than that one so maybe I'll give it a go again.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Looks like Sora and Izuna on the cover there. So are the monsters in this game cute? Do I really want to create a zoo for them? That's more of a rhetorical question, as I'm checking out the game currently.

I dunno, I'm getting bad vibes from this game, people. It's telling me my name is Owen and that I'm 12 and that I've graduated (doesn't say from where). And I have to hunt monsters down, but I don't understand what they're doing wrong. And FURNITURE! Huzzah! Gasp, a hiring freeze.

On a side note, when did dungeons become such an economic investment? I can understand why, what with random hordes of tourists coming and making purchases from your town, which was vaguely a plot element in Etrian Odyssey.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
spiritofcat said:
I'm pretty sure this is the same game as Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground on PSP, but with a different style of graphics.
I thought that game was pretty fun, but got bored of it after a while because it became quite repetitive.
I like the look of the graphics in this version more than that one so maybe I'll give it a go again.
it is part of the same series at least, i dunno why they renamed it for this release - both the PSP games kept the Dungeon Maker name in the US. and this one is still being released as Dungeon Maker in Europe.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After a few hours of play (After the first 'BOSS') this is how I see it so far:

PROS: This game is actually pretty fun. Yes as someone above said you are 12 years old and blah blah blah.. this type of game isnt exactly winning any friends on the plot, but I personally havent played any of the dungeon maker type games and so far I am enjoying this one. I enjoy the fact that as soon as I kill an enemy you can go to the monster guide and check to see what it drops. There are side quests (pretty much just find and bring item to NPC)

CONS: So far... very easy. I have only put a couple hours into this game and though I have been very entertained I think it will start to get awefully repetetive soon.

OVERALL: I just have a feeling this game will soon dissappoint me, but I genuinely hope I am wrong. If this game offers enough unlockables or at least 'rare' items, and enough depth in the spells and items and enemies, then hopefully it in the long run will continue to overcome its real lack of plot.

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yay finally! The PSP version was actually quite enjoyable, at least for like a week or so - after that it got very repetetive, sadly :/ And that's a real shame because I love the concept.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I liked the Dungeon Maker series except that there are layouts that rewards you so much to the point you are subject to stop making unique dungeons and start spamming generic characteristic-less layouts.

I hope this game somehow dealt with the issue (hardly an issue, but I'll still use the word).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o