Hacking So anyone get the new 2.1x Black PCB card yet?

Mikef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I waiting for comments as to the improvements made to this new card.
Anyone get there's yet?

jos7960

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got a acekard 2 in today for a friend

QUOTE said:
Posted 2008-9-25 (pics in folder 2008/09/23)... the pcb appears black, the actel chip that normally protrudes through the case is missing, and it is in a box instead of clamshell.

And mine was in a box! And has no protruding chip.

Im not really familiar with the acekard 2 but the improvements speak for itself dont they?

A better fit in you nintendo DS because the protruding chip is missing.

eldaddio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got one today, also for a friend. Feels flimsy and doesn't actually work!!

Edit: Just to elaborate, when the DS is booted up with the new kard plugged in the DS claims "There is no DS card inserted"

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eldaddio said:

where did u order it from? DX? 5 arrived today from them. and they look decent enough. downside is that DX or someone stuck the sticker on wonky.

eldaddio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah got them from DX. No amount of reinserting is having any effect, looks like a dodgy one. Got two more on the way, hopefully they'll be ok.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
I got 2
smile.gif

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
eldaddio said:

Edit: Just to elaborate, when the DS is booted up with the new card plugged in the DS claims "There is no DS card inserted"

Was it a black PCB one?

By the way, when someone will get the hands on a black one, would be appreciated to see the inside if possible, because i think the picture already seen of the black one seem to be from a "test pcb":

(look at the back of the pcb, you'll see many "TP" and TP=Test Point.).

eldaddio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
boudincaca said:
eldaddio said:

Edit: Just to elaborate, when the DS is booted up with the new card plugged in the DS claims "There is no DS card inserted"

Was it a black PCB one?

By the way, when someone will get the hands on a black one, would be appreciated to see the inside if possible, because i think the picture already seen of the black one seem to be from a "test pcb":

(look at the back of the pcb, you'll see many "TP" and TP=Test Point.).

Indeed it is a black PCB one.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got one yesterday
smile.gif
I'm impressed the way the card works software wise however hardware wise it sucks badly everytime you removeit from the ds it feel like it will fall apart, Although you can't say much about that you get what you pay for. It came in a white cardboard box btw.

I forgot to add the micro sd slot is spring loaded.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
eldaddio said:

Here are some freshly taken pics (hopefully it won't stop me sending it back!). Still says TP mind.

Thanks.

So, it's really the retail pcb, interesting, maybe they've put those test point to diagnose easily the defective one they receive back.

My order is just sent from HK, so i'll maybe receive it saturday with big chance, or next monday.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
boudincaca said:
So, it's really the retail pcb, interesting, maybe they've put those test point to diagnose easily the defective one they receive back.
Just to point out a fact that may have missed you entirely... they need test points to be able automate the QA (in this case mainly to reject bad die mountings under the epoxy) at manufacture time. Most devices like this are only tested in a random unit per batch, for example 1 in 1000 are tested on real end purpose hardware, the rest often visually inspected by a bored person sitting beside a machine or belt.

bustyman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
My black PCB AK2.1 arrived a few days ago. The case still feels cheap and wobbly, but at least it hasn't broken down yet. Like everybody else noted, no more protruding chip.

The supposedly improved battery life is very minor. I tested all of these with the same DSL and with the same 4 GB Kingston SDHC card, so the only variable is the slot-1 flash cart (dust cover in slot-2). I looped the NSMB intro video on full brightness with the sound off. I ran each test twice and took the mean average, rounding to the nearest 0.1 hour. Here are my results:

Supercard DS One v 3: 6.5 hours
M3 DS Real: 6.1 hours
AK 2.1 black PCB: 4.5 hours
AK 2 green PCB: 4.2 hours

I personally find this quite surprising. I took the AK2.1 apart and it has much fewer components compared to the Supercard DS One. There is no extra battery in the AK2 to charge for starters. I wonder why its power consumption is still rather mediocre?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
bustyman100 said:
My black PCB AK2.1 arrived a few days ago. The case still feels cheap and wobbly, but at least it hasn't broken down yet. Like everybody else noted, no more protruding chip.

The supposedly improved battery life is very minor. I tested all of these with the same DSL and with the same 4 GB Kingston SDHC card, so the only variable is the slot-1 flash cart (dust cover in slot-2). I looped the NSMB intro video on full brightness with the sound off. I ran each test twice and took the mean average, rounding to the nearest 0.1 hour. Here are my results:

I personally find this quite surprising. I took the AK2.1 apart and it has much fewer components compared to the Supercard DS One. There is no extra battery in the AK2 to charge for starters. I wonder why its power consumption is still rather mediocre?
Have you double checked the settings for AceKard 2 to see if it isn't set to run with a higher brightness level?
If the brightness setting for you DS Lite is different from AceKard 2 it will be overwrited by the AceKard 2 setting.

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
bustyman100 said:

is that true??
hmm...kinda hard to believe

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i got a test kit from team acekard today. its the new box, new black pcb, but it has a reader. the reader is the old style one. the kit does feel the exact same as the old one, so i wouldn't give it to a 8yr old who is going to break it. if you insert it like an adult you won't have a problem with it ever. the spring is crappy, it doesn't really eject and i have to *pull* the msd out. the msd seems to get stuck so i'm careful to pull i out straight. other than that its nice to not have the protruding chip. i could care less if battery gain is .5 of an hour or not. i expect to only get 3-5 hours out of my nds running flash kits. expecially when i'm using more than 1 in my nds at a time.

i like my rpg more... i have to admit. it feels thicker and better. but for 12.99?? how the hell can you go wrong. its the rpg minus the nand. everything else works the same and can be expected to function pretty much the same (minus a few firmware differences).

i just picked up a second with a 2gb japanese kingston for $20 off DX. someone is going to have a happy xmas =)

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm