ROM Hack The World Ends With You. Content Patcher!

ChemicalGus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Greetings everyone!

This is something that I know a lot of people will love!

It allows you to incredibly easily and interactively replace any parts of the US English and the EU English versions of the ROM with the Original Japanese audio and music, creating a much more atmospheric and less cringeworthy game, without any manual work.

What follows is the readme for the tool:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World Ends With You - Original Japanese Dub Patcher
Brought to you by ChemicalGus on www.gbatemp.net. Come visit us!

This is an extremely easy to use, automatic patcher for "The World Ends With You", which works for both the US English (#2252) and the EU English (#2230) versions of the ROM. It allows you to choose what components you want to undub, and you can read more about the specific components below under "Description". You also need the Japanese ROM #1240 "Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World (Japan)", since the Japanese data cannot be bundled with this patcher for legal reasons.

Solution to the video freeze: This is not a patcher for the "intro video freeze" that some users have, which is caused by having a slow memory card, and can sometimes be fixed by reformatting the card with 32k allocation blocks to allow more data to be pulled from the card at a time. The only FOOLPROOF way to get past the freeze is to repeatedly close the lid and open it again while the problematic movie is playing. Each time you close the lid, the game will stop streaming the video and be able to buffer up some more data. Do this a few times and you'll get past the troublesome intro video. This is the only video in the game that has this freezing problem and it comes right after the frog attack near the start of day 1, so you'll know which video I mean. It's not a very important video as it's mostly flashy drawings of characters in the game, but you can see it on YouTube if you search for "the world ends with you intro", just in case you missed it due to having to use the lid close/open trick. Enough of that, now onto what this patcher does!

Installation:
1. Extract the contents of the patcher archive (TWEWY_JapaneseReDub_CG.zip).
2. Take your original, unmodified EU/US and Japanese ROMs (no patches or trimming done to them) and place them in the folder called 'ROMS'.
3. Name the English ROM 'english.nds' and the Japanese ROM 'japanese.nds'.
4. Run PATCH.bat and make your choices regarding which audio components you want to patch, then let the automatic patcher do the rest.
5. Grab your patched ROM and remember to say thanks! :-)

Description:
This was made by unpacking the Japanese and US ROMs and then coding a program to compare the two rips, pointing out all files that were different between the two ROMs. After that was done, I isolated all the files that were the music/audio, and made this pack out of those files.

Here is the list of things that are contained in this pack:

Background Music/Soundtrack: Replaces the extremely embarassing rap/rock American soundtrack with the original Japanese songs. The Japanese songs are more subtle, cool and understated compared to the American soundtracks' way of trying to be louder than the story. Note that most songs were the same in the US and Jap releases, but a significant amount of them had been changed to extremely generic and nauseating songs with crappy English lyrics and bad singers.

Cutscene Audio: Changes all the movies back to the original Japanese voices and music, no more embarassing "Outta my face! You're blocking my view!". You'll still be able to understand what is said since all the movies I've seen so far have had English text on them saying exactly what the character says. Let me know if there are videos where they are speaking without any text showing what they are saying. I don't speak Japanese so I'd like to know if there are files which you might not want to replace if you don't understand Japanese. If there are any such movies, I'll make those particular audio files optional to replace.

Battle Voices/Sound Effects: Gives you the original Japanese voice work, which is leagues better than the poor American voice actors! The only place I know of where there is no text and only spoken words is when you activate a pins' power, he'll say things like "Focus" in the English version, and now you'll hear the Japanese words for it instead. Hardly a problem though, since you know what the pins do.

You'll find that the game is so much more atmospheric after applying this patch.

File Explanation (for those interested):
Battle Voices/Sound Effects = Sound\sound_data.sdat
Cutscene Audio = b_*_*.adx, e_*_*.adx, ending.adx, r_*_*.adx, s_*_*.adx
Background Music/Soundtrack = B0*.adx, Bz*.adx, F0*.adx

Remember to visit us at www.gbatemp.net!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download links:

TWEWY_JapaneseReDub_CG.zip (< 100KB).
http://www.multiupload.com/G4KXTIVHI8
* This URL lets you download the patch from your choice of MegaUpload, RapidShare, DepositFiles, and many others.

Enjoy!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to play the game but this sounds like a good tool (the game sounds like a prime candidate for an improvement hack as well).

It is also nice to see more tools appearing to hack DS roms. At this rate the DS is going to end up one of the most hacked consoles in history (no bad thing in my book).

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It wasn't too hard to do before if I remember correctly, but looks like a nice tool
happy.gif

ChemicalGus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191: It's definitely a good tool.
smile.gif
You should play this game asap, it's one of the most original games I've seen in the past 5 years.

xJonny: Even advanced users would have trouble knowing what each file contains. ;-)

DarthNemesis: I take full responsibility for that, and it's only audio data. If anyone has an issue with these files then they should contact the file hosts and issue a takedown notice. Has nothing to do with gbatemp.

TeenDev: I can't tell if you are being ironic.
tongue.gif

edit: The patcher has been re-coded to pull the copyrighted data from your original Japanese ROM, instead of bundling the data with the patcher. It's now fully legal.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This may contain copyrighted materials, so please can you go through and make sure you don't have any illegal links (gotta get back to work or I would).

Thanks

- JP

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it contains data ripped from the Japanese version of the game then this would be an illegal link here.
If that's the case you could tweak the tool to unpack and pull the files from a person's own copy of the Japanese version then it'd be alright.

ChemicalGus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gbpic: Thanks, glad you appreciate it!
smile.gif

jph: See reply to Zarcon.

Krazplay: Cool, enjoy then!
smile.gif

Zarcon: That's what I considered doing originally, and it's very easy for me to modify it to do just that. Alright, let me remove the original link and modify it so it uses your own #1240 "Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World (Japan)". People should know what to do.
smile.gif
Just gimme 30 minutes or so to change how the patcher works.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There'd really only be one extra step, placing their copy of the Japanese game in the right folder, I'd hope people should know what to do.
tongue.gif

It's always good to see people release tools to make things easier for others.
Even more so that this particular tool gives a person several options.

That said, hope you stick around and make more tools like this in the future.
Oh, and enjoy your stay of course.
tongue.gif

ChemicalGus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Zarcon, I've been a long time lurker on this site and am sure to stay. This tool also lays a great foundation for creating other translation tools and patchers.
smile.gif

The original post has now been updated with a legal version, that contains no copyrighted audio data. The archive is considerably smaller now (of course, the separate Japanese game is over 100MB
wink.gif
).

Enjoy, everyone!

PS:
I should mention that it's absolutely pointless to use ROM trimmers on the finished ROM created by this tool.

Trimmers are used to remove empty binary data off the end of cartridge dumps, since a game may have been 120MB and sat on a 128MB cartridge, which would leave 8MB of empty 'null' data at the end. This is the only case were a trimmer should be used.

The ROM that this tool outputs is already as compact as it gets, and a trimmer may actually make the file larger.
lecture.gif

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
This can support my SAV from my original (U) ROM, correct?
Save files are not affected by patches unless the saving/loading code is changed. That's almost never the case, especially for a simple undub.

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
This sounds awesome.

One thing (and sorry if this has been noted, I haven't used this tool yet), but the ending movie has quite a lot of spoken audio, and no subtitles, all the other videos have subtitles or so few words you don't need any.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
This doesn't contain anything illegal. It's very nooby though, you do know you can make yes/no choices in a batch script without a whole new executable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte