Valve has no plans for a game subscription service, but is open to bringing services to Steam

store_home_share.jpg

In a recent interview with PC Gamer, Valve president Gabe Newell said the company has no plans for a game subscription service on Steam, but might work with partners to bring theirs to the platform. "I don't think it's something that we think we need to do ourselves, building a subscription service at this time," Newell said. "But for their customers it's clearly a popular option, and we'd be more than happy to work with them to get that on Steam." There is some precedent for this as EA Play, EA's subscription service, came to Steam in 2020.

More and more launchers are also dying in favour of releases on Steam. Just a few days ago, Bethesda announced it would close down its own launcher and move its games to the Steam storefront. Microsoft has also been doing this for years with their titles, but Game Pass games are still only playable through the Game Pass app on PC. If Microsoft is able to bring Game Pass to Steam in the future, it would be one step closer to consolidating all of PC gaming within Steam's ecosystem.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't wait for gamepass on steam deck!!! that would be insane to see and it'd make the console way more appealing than the switch and its overly expensive 7th gen ports

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a subscription service would be quite the useless feature for a handheld like this.

It has more to do with Steam as a whole as opposed to something solely for the Steam Deck. Like how EA Play is a subscription you can now use through Steam to play any of EA's games I believe.

I honestly would be happy if Microsoft brought their Game Pass to Steam since I wouldn't have the issues with games like Warhammer III having issues connecting across the two platforms.

Reactions: Kioku

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
can't wait for gamepass on steam deck!!! that would be insane to see and it'd make the console way more appealing than the switch and its overly expensive 7th gen ports
I think that depends on how much you value Nintendo's exclusives in general. Technically any other console is more appealing than the Switch, if we put portability aside.

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gamepass is cool tho, for 10 bucks a month you actually have great games with it, it's just too bad it doesn't contain DLCs, I'm not buying shit for Minecraft Dungeons or Forza, or just games I don't own (and I'm already doing that for Steam, which is my limit)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why? GeforceNow is already streaming Stream. So no need for that imho.
It's not about streaming. Well, streaming is one part of game subscription services, but Game Pass for example, while it does support streaming through xCloud, by far the most appealing aspect of it is being able to download and install games and run them locally, so you are not required to have a fast internet connection just to play a game, and you don't have to deal with the hiccups, lag and high latency from being far away from the nearest servers, or from servers being overloaded. And it gives you access to a huge selection of games for a relatively low cost. I think this is a great way to discover new games to play and if you play a wide variety of games, you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to having to buy each of those games. Steam has the largest selection of games out of any of the storefronts so an official game subscription service from Valve could offer a much wider range of games than what Game Pass offers, which would be awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock