Meta announces its VR games subscription service, Meta Quest+

meta quest plus.jpg

VR gaming is getting its own subscription service; that is if you have a Meta Quest headset. Meta has announced its Meta Quest+ VR subscription service today which costs $7.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD annually (if you sign up now through July 31, the first month is $1 USD). This will provide subscribers with two VR titles every month.

July's titles are Pistol Whip and Pixel Ripped 1995, while in August, Walkabout Mini Golf and MOTHERGUNSHIP: FORGE are on offer. The titles obtained through Meta Quest+ can be kept as long as you have a subscription.

Meta Quest+ is available for all owners of Quest 2 and Quest Pro headsets, as well as the upcoming Quest 3 device. For more details about the service, head to the official source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This subscription is the price of xbox live gold and it doesn't give you damn near anything

i know piracy is bad, mm'kay but there's some sort of psyop that VR developers are pulling as if developing a VR game is just so much harder than developing a regular game. Maybe it was when VR was new but now there's APIs for every engine that make setting up the technology a drag-and-drop affair. Even in current year+7 they'll still charge you 30 dollars for a tech demo and never put it on sale. I'd pay full price for a starving indie dev's game but don't get it twisted I'm not gonna get shaken for 2 shovelware VR games a month.
I wish VR games for phones caught on. I'd much rather play stuff with joycon style controllers on a decent phone than on a headset (and I do already own a Quest 2). It'd make stuff a lot more accessible for people and then I could actually find people to play games with.

Reactions: orangy57

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Facebook is unlimited hub for memes, and Zucc just made another major one lol.

Who needs this mark, just go fight elon, that's what we wanna see

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the people comparing this to Game Pass are hilarious. How quickly you forget Games with Gold (or PS+, for that matter), which is a much more accurate comparison.

I'm going to defend Meta on this. VR games are expensive, and discounts are a lot more scarce than on other platforms. For many of the most popular VR games, $8 is a steal for a single game. If you want to avoid piracy, this is a legit way to play games you are interested in at a steep discount, albeit you don't get to select the games directly. But you can hold out for the months where they have games you are interested; just don't subscribe for a year.

Now obviously, if you've had a VR headset for a while, you probably already own a lot of the biggest games. (There's a reason Meta chose Pistol Whip - a solid choice to make the subscription look good, no doubt - and not Beat Saber.) It will be interesting to see where they go with the game selection, as they have to teeter the line between giving new players a taste of the good stuff without throwing off the veterans who already own all the major ones.

There's also something to be said for owning games that you intend to play a lot. You won't have access while not subscribed, and that's Meta's incentive to keep you hooked, but it's on you if you fall for that. Realize that not all games are the same. Beat Saber (and many other rhythm games, if you are into them) is an obvious example of a game you want to own. You'll want to play this game for multiple months. So don't subscribe for these games, unless you're really unsure if you'll like it and are ok with an $8 trial period. But there are games like Job Simulator, Vacation Simulator, and I Expect You To Die which you can basically play through in < 1 month and then be done with.

If you are just starting VR, this seems like a great way to try different games in an affordable way. It is much more palatable than buying an expensive headset, then realizing you don't have any games to play, and impulse buying multiple $15-40 games to fill the gap because you want to use your shiny new toy. It's also a cheap way to play through one-time playthrough games, provided you can make time for it in a month and don't feel the need to go back.

I think a lot of the complaining going on in here is just people's sentiment towards subscriptions in general, and you aren't looking critically at the value in this particular service. It's obviously not for everyone, and a year long subscription is a gamble without any guarantees about what games you will get. But I still believe this provides great value for a certain group of players who choose to subscribe selectively. I may even be one of those down the line.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-All the people comparing this to Game Pass are hilarious. How quickly you forget Games with Gold (or PS+, for that matter), which is a much more accurate comparison.

-I'm going to defend Meta on this. VR games are expensive, and discounts are a lot more scarce than on other platforms. For many of the most popular VR games, $8 is a steal for a single game. If you want to avoid piracy, this is a legit way to play games you are interested in at a steep discount, albeit you don't get to select the games directly. But you can hold out for the months where they have games you are interested; just don't subscribe for a year.

-There's also something to be said for owning games that you intend to play a lot. You won't have access while not subscribed, and that's Meta's incentive to keep you hooked, but it's on you if you fall for that.
You've described exactly why this subscription will be bad. PS+ and Games for Gold games are free with the subscriptions. It's priced similarly to the cheaper tiers of Game Pass so comparisons should be expected.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
60 yearly isn't too bad for VR enthusiasts, most of you spend $70 on 3 star games as it is.
But we actually get to KEEP those games after the service stops, and don’t have to KEEP PAYING either. Digital subscriptions are bullshit. Period.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if you buy 12 $70 games per year that's $840.
So what’s your point? Not that there has EVER been 12 $70 VR games in a single year worth buying, but still… at least they’re mine. You stop subscribing, and your games are gone. In 5 years, how much have you paid for that first game again (because like it or not, you are STILL paying for it)? :rofl2:

And just like what Sony just did, they can take it away from you at any time. Hell, hundreds of people recently went crazy on X because their PSN accounts were banned for no reason. Digital library gone, and all of that money wasted. But you do you.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what’s your point? Not that there has EVER been 12 $70 VR games in a single year worth buying, but still… at least they’re mine. You stop subscribing, and your games are gone. In 5 years, how much have you paid for that first game again (because like it or not, you are STILL paying for it)? :rofl2:
Most vr games aren't worth keeping $60 a year isn't horrible for vr but if you can afford that many games you can afford $60 a year if you really wanted to dive into it. If you're willing to spend $840 for aaa titles per year that you keep $60 a year shouldn't give you a reason to whine about not having them forever. Which life isn't forever at least we get to try it without breaking the bank. Take that point for what you will it's not a huge deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played