Valve offering refurbished Steam Decks with a price cut

59bc77f7fd161e339e3d147a53f355b8b03fede2.png

Valve has been keeping up with constant updates and (small) revisions to their Steam Deck system, which has been quite popular in its sole year since the initial release, as well as keeping up with several bugfixes and updates to both their SteamOS and Proton software.

Continuing with their on going service, Valve has started offering refurbished Steam Deck with a price cut, and said price cuts are quite considerate, to say the least. Almost all refurbished variants of the Steam Deck, ranging from the basic standard 64GB model, up to the premium one of 512GB have a reduction in price of almost 20%, with the prices being as follows:

Original Steam Deck Price (USD)

Refurbished Steam Deck Price (USD)

Percentage

64GB model

$399

$319
20.05%

256GB model

$529

$419
20.79%

512GB model

$649

$519
20.03%

The price reduction for the standard model is $80, while for the premium model the amount saved up is $130. Valve also adds the following statement regarding their refurbished Decks:

Valve said:
Certified Refurbished

Each Certified Refurbished Steam Deck has been thoroughly tested to the same high standards as our retail units. Every device goes through a complete factory reset, software update, and an extensive examination involving over 100 tests at one of Valve's facilities. Among the tests are all controller inputs, the audio system, the screen, and internals. Battery health is also assessed to ensure proper functionality and longevity.

All refurbished units meet or even exceed the performance standards of new retail units. Although they may have minor cosmetic blemishes, they provide a reliable, high-quality gaming experience at a lower cost.

To add to this, the refurbished Decks come with a one year warranty for the device, the same offered for a brand new Steam Deck, as well as a refurbished power supply, and their carrying case with a Quick Start guide. Additionally to Valve's own refurbished service, GameStop is also offering and selling refurbished Steam Decks with similar price tags as the ones offered by Valve.

:arrow: Valve's Steam Deck Refurbished website
:arrow: GameStop's Steam Deck Refurbished website

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good point on trusting yourself. How is it "'tested' and certified" by Valve if it's going to Gamestop's warehouses/workshops, though? The way I read it is "Gamestop refurbished" with Valve's stamp of approval. Is the testing done remotely or are Valve reps on site signing off on the work?
The quote clearly says that the units go through a 100-point test at a Valve-ran facility, I have no reason to doubt that. “GameStop Refurbished” may be used as branding on the storefront, like a collective bucket all refurbished devices go to when sold at a GameStop, I don’t know. There should be some more clarity on that part, but the certification process is described in detail.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The quote clearly says that the units go through a 100-point test at a Valve-ran facility, I have no reason to doubt that. “GameStop Refurbished” may be used as branding on the storefront, like a collective bucket all refurbished devices go to when sold at a GameStop, I don’t know. There should be some more clarity on that part, but the certification process is described in detail.
The article, here, seems to suggest so, but it looks like is being assumed of Gamestop's process because it wasn't specified otherwise. Is there something that actually links the information to anything about Gamestop?

https://www.gamestop.com/steam-deck

Gamestop doesn't even try to imply that Valve is involved at all, which is weird, because it would be a clear selling point.
Post automatically merged:

Valve clarifies only a little on their site.

"Are these the same refurbished Steam Deck units GameStop is selling?

"No, GameStop's refurbished Steam Decks have been refurbished in their own facilities, and they will come with a different warranty provided by GameStop."

How did you reach the idea that GameStop refurbished units are tested and certified by Valve? Is it just the inclusion of Gamestop in the article? I interpret it as a "btw Gamestop is doing something similar".

Last edited by tabzer,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The article, here, seems to suggest so, but it looks like is being assumed of Gamestop's process because it wasn't specified otherwise. Is there something that actually links the information to anything about Gamestop?

https://www.gamestop.com/steam-deck

Gamestop doesn't even try to imply that Valve is involved at all, which is weird, because it would be a clear selling point.
Post automatically merged:

Valve clarifies only a little on their site.

"Are these the same refurbished Steam Deck units GameStop is selling?

"No, GameStop's refurbished Steam Decks have been refurbished in their own facilities, and they will come with a different warranty provided by GameStop."

How did you reach the idea that GameStop refurbished units are tested and certified by Valve? Is it just the inclusion of Gamestop in the article? I interpret it as a "btw Gamestop is doing something similar".
Hmm. That’s an interesting observation. Presumably the two are operating independently then, so between the two, you’ll probably want a refurb certified by Valve, all else being equal. Well-spotted.

Reactions: Xzi and tabzer

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great price, thanks. Even though its a Valve refurb, good time to check if any of your credit cards offer supplemental warranties for electronics.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I think that the confusion with GameStop refurbs is because of the fact that GameStop started offering refurbs at around the same time as Valve did.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wouldn't expect a steady supply of refurbs. It's entirely dependent on how many returns/defective units they receive back.
So when you think about it, a steady supply of refurbished units would mean the Deck is prone to defects and malfunctions, and you wouldn't want to buy one. And a shortage would mean they're fine, but you couldn't get one at a discount.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So when you think about it, a steady supply of refurbished units would mean the Deck is prone to defects and malfunctions, and you wouldn't want to buy one. And a shortage would mean they're fine, but you couldn't get one at a discount.

Generally, every production line has defective parts at estimated ratios. Scarce supply could mean that it is more popular than it is defective or that they are not able to refurbish them fast enough. Even if they were particularly prone to defect, this wouldn't indicate it.

GameStop has stock, but I don't think you can order it online. I think they are accessible only at the stores.

Last edited by tabzer,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you couldn't get one at a discount.
well, sales happen, but yeah.

Guess i'll have to test my luck at gamestop. Though I was gonna sell my Series S to make up 2/3 of the cost there, anyways. I guess it'd be more convenient

also, now the 256 gb refurb one is out of stock, LMAO

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?