Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only want it that way because I have a couple of young kids that will be using GW mode 100% of the time.

I would still be able to launch it after bringing up homebrew menu through CIA or something though right after it booted?

You can do this by swapping stage 2 files, but don't delete one, it has to be all 3 for installation.

Select /a9hl/Decrpyt9.bin

Select would interfere with luma3ds.

To all who want different button combos, please rethink if a bootmanager would help instead.

Most combos are restricted depending on 2ds / old3DS or new3DS. Try Start + A on new3ds ;)

this way is exactly the same, but i install from a9lh instead of install from homebrew menu?
so the files on the sd card are the same etc? or, when installing from a9lh i don't need my otp on the sd or something?

and, to uninstall this, we would simply reinstall a9lh?

Homebrew Menu aka Launcher will only install IF there is no a9lh present, updating only works using the provided arm9loaderhax.bin.

To undo the installation, either start decrypt9 / emunand9 and install a backup nand.bin or use unedited safea9lhinstaller with your own stage 1/2 files.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha thanks, my request still stands though, willing to donate few £ or $?
This way i don't need a CFW, just stock SYS Nand and EmuNand to play with

with A9LH, it is CFW/GW (once FIRM protection works) or nothing. stock has no FIRM protection so A9LH gets removed on a O3DS and a N3DS bricks.

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
You can do this by swapping stage 2 files, but don't delete one, it has to be all 3 for installation.

I Don't want Luma3ds though, my goal is default GW Emunand, then press any button to go to Decrypt9, and another button to go to a completely stock SYS NAND

Is this doable?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@liomajor cool. this is all in the firm partitons right, not the that big fat16 partiton with all the system apps etc?
so i could simply make a backup of that and restore that alone, yes?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Don't want Luma3ds though, my goal is default GW Emunand, then press any button to go to Decrypt9, and another button to go to a completely stock SYS NAND

Is this doable?

completely stock SysNAND (NOPE, FIRM needs to be patched among other things)
{BEST BET: Use a minimalist A9LH CFW}
GW as default: Yes
boot decrypt9: Yes

Last edited by driverdis,

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is this doable?

Doable yes, but i suggest using bootctr9 and to swap stages.

@liomajor cool. this is all in the firm partitons right, not the that big fat16 partiton with all the system apps etc?
so i could simply make a backup of that and restore that alone, yes?

Yes, its inside nand and a backup will include this.

Last edited by liomajor,
Reactions: cearp

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
with A9LH, it is CFW/GW (once FIRM protection works) or nothing. stock has no FIRM protection so A9LH gets removed on a O3DS and a N3DS bricks.
gateway already said they have no plans for Sysnand CFW so they are most likely never gonna do Firm Prot

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is this doable?

Everything except the completely stock SysNAND. The closest you'll get to that on A9LH is running Cakes without patches (I'd recommend the firm protection even on that). You'll have to use CBM9 if you want a boot manager on one of the hotkeys is the only thing. BootCTR9 probably won't work (unless you change the delay from 1000 to 3000, that might give you enough time to hit a button). So just make Cakes your "arm9loaderhax.bin" and Decrypt9 your "a9lh/arm9loaderhax.bin" files. Enable the firm patches on the Cakes menu and set it to boot automatically. Closest thing to a stock SysNAND, as I said.

gateway already said they have no plans for Sysnand CFW so they are most likely never gonna do Firm Prot

But they already have -- in all previous versions. So until a new firmware forces an update from 3.7.1, we have it.

To all who want different button combos, please rethink if a bootmanager would help instead.

Most combos are restricted depending on 2ds / old3DS or new3DS. Try Start + A on new3ds ;)

Homebrew Menu aka Launcher will only install IF there is no a9lh present, updating only works using the provided arm9loaderhax.bin.

To undo the installation, either start decrypt9 / emunand9 and install a backup nand.bin or use unedited safea9lhinstaller with your own stage 1/2 files.

I was about to say, select will mess Luma up. Then again, looks like that's not something he actually wants. I'd say A & B, start & B, and start & A should satisfy most people's needs. If you don't mind creating them. I completely understand where this train is going, and why you can't take infinite requests for an infinite amount of configurations.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

satelman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For thoose who had no problem using the former Stage 1 don't need to update, red screen > pwr off, plz try the updated Stage 1

Hi, @liomajor, one last request:

Could you create again the simplified alternate stage 1 for A instead of X + Y, and B instead of X + A, but with your latest update for Samsung+Toshiba, please?

Last edited by satelman,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing to do...two red screen then shutdown i have the wrong nand :(((

you should update again, Samsung NANDs are now working with the latest files @liomajor released.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But they already have -- in all previous versions. So until a new firmware forces an update from 3.7.1, we have it.

We have it in EmuNAND, has anyone (with a hardmod) confirmed FIRM update blocking works on SysNAND while on
3.7.1?

EDIT: @ Gateway: I see what you are doing here, releasing files that only work on Toshiba NANDs. You wanted this to happen to leach off of people here on GBATemp so they can get the job done for you.:ninja:

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should update again, Samsung NANDs are now working with the latest files @liomajor released.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We have it in EmuNAND, has anyone (with a hardmod) confirmed FIRM update blocking works on SysNAND while on
3.7.1?

EDIT: @ gateway I see what you are doing here, releasing files that only work on Toshiba NANDs. You wanted this to happen to leach off of people here on @gbatemp so they can get the job done for you.:ninja:

It's my understanding this is why updating from a ROM bricks in GW SysNAND mode, and why they were considering removing the feature. So glad they didn't, now it has a use -- getting out of GW A9LH. And now we can use 4.0a to update systems to 9.2 instead of rxTools. Or even run the Smash 9.2 update (it probably just became the safest update method for people that own GW cards actually -- you can always do a full 9.2 update using SysUpdater in EmuNAND later).

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again @liomajor, @Kazuma77, and everyone else that helped. It's great to have both luma and GW booting with A9LH, and I doubt that Gateway would have ever released something that permitted this.

Cheers :yaynds:

Well, all I did was compile some payloads using the modified main.c that liomajor gave us. I give all the credit to liomajor.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again @liomajor, @Kazuma77, and everyone else that helped. It's great to have both luma and GW booting with A9LH, and I doubt that Gateway would have ever released something that permitted this.

Cheers :yaynds:

This is what I am afraid of, for 4.0 stable, Gateway can always put brick code and/or modify Launcher.dat to not work with this method of loading Launcher.dat

it would be just like Gateway to brick users of this A9LH loading method and claim that it was because people used an unstable version or their loader and that the final version (which would conveniently not work with this) would have not bricked their console.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: @ Gateway: I see what you are doing here, releasing files that only work on Toshiba NANDs. You wanted this to happen to leach off of people here on GBATemp so they can get the job done for you.:ninja:

Not quite. Gateway's version of A9LH worked with both. They have a working stage 1 payload. It was something missing from existing implementations of stage 1. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the size of GW's stage 2 payload, actually.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Firm0 and FIRM1 were already up on a certain iso site before you did all of that. You could have just grabbed them instead of installing GW A9LH yourself. Oh well. I saw the first offset you mentioned. Hadn't got around to comparing FIRM1s though. It's weird that the difference ends at F0F64 though -- that to F1FFF are all overwritten with "00" on mine (and they had something there before).
When I started, I had no idea if the firms needed to be decrypted first, so it didn't matter to me to look. And, I did my checking the RIGHT WAY. I had compared a dump from after using the payloads here (That worked on only Toshiba NANDs) to the very same firms with GW on top of it. This way, F0F64 not only has data on both my dumps, but it is the exact SAME data. I think it's something the original payloads here did and you were comparing a gw firm with a stock firm. (and since @liomajor got the whole thing working, well... you do the math)

OK, just got around to comparing FIRM1s. There is a difference between 0x000F2000 and 0x000FFFFF that urherenow failed to mention. Actually, I'm seeing it on FIRM0 as well.
Yes, otp.bin is the only other thing you should need.
Are you sure? I thought it wasn't actually required once you had a9lh installed (but mine is still on my cards since I have plenty of space anyway) :unsure:

@liomajor, My research did help get this done, right? Would you mind posting a quick explanation of what the issue was and also post the new source so I can build my own with A launching Launcher.dat? PM is fine if you don't want to make it public.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite. Gateway's version of A9LH worked with both. They have a working stage 1 payload. It was something missing from existing implementations of stage 1. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the size of GW's stage 2 payload, actually.

No, my guess is that its partly detecting memorycard as for what i dated back > starting without doesn't turn off your console > we can live with it.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I started, I had no idea if the firms needed to be decrypted first, so it didn't matter to me to look. And, I did my checking the RIGHT WAY. I had compared a dump from after using the payloads here (That worked on only Toshiba NANDs) to the very same firms with GW on top of it. This way, F0F64 not only has data on both my dumps, but it is the exact SAME data. I think it's something the original payloads here did and you were comparing a gw firm with a stock firm. (and since @liomajor got the whole thing working, well... you do the math)

Are you sure? I thought it wasn't actually required once you had a9lh installed (but mine is still on my cards since I have plenty of space anyway) :unsure:

@liomajor, My research did help get this done, right? Would you mind posting a quick explanation of what the issue was and also post the new source so I can build my own with A launching Launcher.dat? PM is fine if you don't want to make it public.

Actually, I found it most useful to compare present A9LH to GW A9LH. Non-A9LH had too much different. The F0760 to F0F63 range was completely different on mine too. Actually, encrypted, F0F760 to FFFFF were all different, but encrypted, I could see that F0F64 to F1FFF were being overwritten by "00" in GW, and thus, probably were irrelevant. F2000 to FFFFF still showed a difference, on both FIRM0 and FIRM1.

I've heard it depends on whether you are switching builds or whatnot. It doesn't hurt to just leave it, the "firm" files (actually N3DS NATIVE_FIRM 9.0 and 10.2, not actual firm partitions), and the secret sector on there though, just in case.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...