Tears of the Kingdom is both the fastest-selling Zelda game and fastest-selling Nintendo game of all time

gjfidgd.png

In less than a week since the game launched The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is crushing records. The game sold a massive 10 million copies worldwide, making it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, as well as the fastest selling Nintendo Switch title, on top of being the fastest-selling game in Nintendo history, at least in The Americas. For reference, the game's predecessor, Breath of the Wild, is currently sitting at 30 million copies sold in its lifetime, meaning Tears of the Kingdom has sold a third of the amount in just 6 days.

:arrow: Source

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's a Zelda game on a Nintendo console so... Yeah.

Now, how about a new F-Zero, Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart 9, Wario game, or port Zelda WWHD and/or Zelda TPHD to Switch?

It looks like Nintendo just takes the easy and safe path these easy.
Honestly, as much as I'd like F-Zero, I think Nintendo doesn't know what to do with it. It's not a game that has a lot to develop as racers go. Look at Wipeout. It's basically the same game over and over.
We've got FAST Racing League, and Shin'en should be able to do something with F-Zero, but really, what can they do?
They could remaster the GameCube F-Zero, though.

And play it safe. 😊

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really sold on it to be honest. Don't see any hype around it or people going i can't wait! It's just another marketing stunt to increase sales and remind people that the game is there. Meh.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it's despite or because of the leaks, or maybe the leaks didn't even register, and despite all the hullaballoo the entire Switch modding community is just a few hundred weirdos.
You are probably dead wrong when you think people who have CFW don't buy the game. Some of them probably bought more than one copy. Those that don't buy is a small fraction of the community.

Those who play on PC probably won't go out and buy a Switch for this game if they still have not bought a Switch by now they are not going to even if totk is 100/10 good

dcx6723

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, as much as I'd like F-Zero, I think Nintendo doesn't know what to do with it. It's not a game that has a lot to develop as racers go. Look at Wipeout. It's basically the same game over and over.
We've got FAST Racing League, and Shin'en should be able to do something with F-Zero, but really, what can they do?
They could remaster the GameCube F-Zero, though.

And play it safe. 😊
They will never be able to handle an f-zero online, although they already do a good job of doing unplayable games online.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Zelda TOTK OLED bundle does not include the game. Yes, Nintendo is *that* cheap. They did the same thing with the Scarlet & Violet OLED.
This way you can decide if you want the special edition or the normal edition.
And if I remember correctly, it has something to do with how pre-orders work in Japan or something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This way you can decide if you want the special edition or the normal edition.
And if I remember correctly, it has something to do with how pre-orders work in Japan or something.
Didn’t stop Sony, a Japanese company, from bundling God of War with the PS5. Who buys a Zelda limited edition console and thinks “Y’know what? I’m gonna skip on the latest Zelda, which is supposedly a 10/10 - I’m not that big of a fan”? People who are spending extra on a pretty paint job are the prime demographic to buy a special edition based on their favourite franchise. The subset of users you’re talking about is infinitesimally small.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What were the fastest selling games before TotK?

I think it may have been Breath of the Wild. Can't find proper sales, but it was the best selling.
Tears of the Kingdom now sits as the second best selling (it will probably surpass BotW's 30mil).

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think it may have been Breath of the Wild. Can't find proper sales, but it was the best selling.
Tears of the Kingdom now sits as the second best selling (it will probably surpass BotW's 30mil).
It probably will. Everyone is already loosing their minds in praise on every "reaction", "my take so far", "my opinion" youtube video.

The game truly looks good, but for some reason, I feel it is it's own thing rather than Zelda, despite being the year 0 of the timeline.

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is very interesting data, thanks.

For the record, Aonuma's SS was the worst selling zelda of all time, if only you take the ratio "game sold"/"console ecosystem".
Here, we have a wonderful ecosystem with the genius "on-the-go" gimmick, with all the inevitable crappy shovelware/ports which come along. The more consoles, the more copies are sold as previous posts already stated (to be fair, before BOTW and this gimmick, the best sold Zelda from Aonuma was...TP, and its 'go back to the roots and nothing else' direction).

Of course TOTK is not a Zelda, the first reason is that Tezuka wasn't on board.
It is just a product of its time.

Zelda games have always been a stapple, a stepstone: it marked the market evolution, technical and gameplay wise. You HAD to own the current release to get a glimpse of modern gaming, plain and simple.

Totk is litteraly a spit to the face of old fans.
But it will contempt the market, so what do corporates need more ?

We are living the dark age of gaming, the one or two gems here and there can't change that fact. It was better before if only you knew what was before. Fornite building and collectathon/addiction don't make up for a "Tolkienesque" epic adventure.

To conclude, just read the few subcontractor devs testimonies on this game developpement you can find online. 'Recycling' was the one and only credo, which led to massive lay outs of all the creative people.

Cheers tempers

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You are probably dead wrong when you think people who have CFW don't buy the game. Some of them probably bought more than one copy. Those that don't buy is a small fraction of the community.
I meant more in the sense that we had reviews, gameplay videos, walkthrough and spoilers before the game even came out, I wonder how that affected sales.

Reactions: TomSwitch

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn’t stop Sony, a Japanese company, from bundling God of War with the PS5. Who buys a Zelda limited edition console and thinks “Y’know what? I’m gonna skip on the latest Zelda, which is supposedly a 10/10 - I’m not that big of a fan”? People who are spending extra on a pretty paint job are the prime demographic to buy a special edition based on their favourite franchise. The subset of users you’re talking about is infinitesimally small.
Hm... I dunno, the TotK special edition is pretty bad. I would just buy the regular game :D
I also can't remember console bundles including special editions. Did that happen? Don't you usually just get the normal game and have to seek out the special edition, basically buying the game twice?
And I don't think people who buy the limited edition console would skip the game it's themed after, but probably have the game already preordered. Oh, wait... They revealed the console at the same time as the game didn't they? I forgot, but if they did, forget what I said ^^
And my point about Japanese preorders... Yeah, can't defend that, since I forgot what exactly the reason was for not including the game. And I even forgot where I read about that, so I can't check it.

I guess I'm not mad about special edition consoles not including the games, because I won't buy them anyway, since I'll likely never not already own a standard edition. And especially the Switch designs have been pretty lacking. I mean the SSBU Joy Cons just got some Tipp-Ex (aka correction tape) on them. Outstanding ^^

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's also the fastest-downloaded Yuzu game of all-time. And kudos to Nintendo for whatever they keep doing that leads to us getting it downloaded and running before paying customers get on real hardware.
Post automatically merged:

Yalk will wine and cry about dang near any gane no matter how good it is I hate this community, just a bunch of babies.

No need to stay in the maternity ward. The exits here are clearly marked.

• Angry
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch