Sony Confirms PS4.5 Existence but no-show for E3

playstation-45_0.jpg

In an interview with Financial Times, Sony executive Andrew House has confirmed the existence of a new, more powerful version of their home console, codenamed "Neo,". He added that it is “intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4" and that “we will be selling both through the life cycle.” However it will not be unveiled at this year's E3.

:arrow: SOURCE

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the PS5, it's the same machine, just with faster cores and more CU's. The end game here is to drop the hardware out of the equation entirely and create a gaming ecosystem where you pick up a "PlayStation" piece of hardware and just play the games, akin to Android and iOS, something you can occasionally swap for the "newer model" without a significant expense. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a "PlayStation" PC and Mobile clients within 10 years. Making console hardware is not profitable, it's the games and the brand that make money.
So this is a play for a unified OS market, rather than a unified hardware market? I suspect that'll make it hard for sony to define itself. Gamers will either see a pc wannabe, or a company trying really hard to be sega plus backwards compatibility. It'll be confusing when exactly old tech is out of date and has to be upgraded, and when new tech is the way to go. Apple has fanboys, android is open to modding core system, microsoft is somewhere inbetween, and linux is linux. Why would you want to buy sony hardware and OS when you can just build a PC and play most of the games better, if they're going with a year or two refresh of hardware?

I'm seriously asking, because it sounds like they're wanting a headache for themselves.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo was the first one to announce a new system earlier than traditionally, lol.
Perhaps because their second upgrade to the Gamecube didn't sell as well as they expected. :^)
So this is a play for a unified OS market, rather than a unified hardware market? I suspect that'll make it hard for sony to define itself. Gamers will either see a pc wannabe, or a company trying really hard to be sega plus backwards compatibility. It'll be confusing when exactly old tech is out of date and has to be upgraded, and when new tech is the way to go. Apple has fanboys, android is open to modding core system, microsoft is somewhere inbetween, and linux is linux. Why would you want to buy sony hardware and OS when you can just build a PC and play most of the games better, if they're going with a year or two refresh of hardware?

I'm seriously asking, because it sounds like they're wanting a headache for themselves.
It is literally the only way to stay relevant. They want you to grab any PlayStation system, and at that point you're in the ecosystem. This has benefits for them because you're less likely to switch and benefits for you because your games will work on any PlayStation device, at least that's what I'm expecting this to be a prelude to. Imagine a world where you play on your PlayStation at home, then leave somewhere and continue playing on your phone and then arrive at your friend's place and play on his machine, all seamless and hardware agnostic. It's a lot like Steam, except with a hardware component. Contrary to popular opinion, most people don't mind which piece of plastic plays their games as long as it does it competently. In fact, Valve tries to go in the same direction with SteamOS and Steam Machines. This is a plan long in the making, in my opinion. The telltale signs were Remote Play and PSNow, the future is more complex than that. The PS4 was on the market for 3 years and people claim it's already dated - what do you do when hardware can't keep up with the software? Eliminate the weak link.

Reactions: CathyRina

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
So first no kingdom hearts 3, no NX from Nintendo, nothing AT ALL from nintendo other than some Zelda gameplay, and now no PS4.5? This is getting extremely disappointing.

Dont be silly. Think about it, its not even E3 2016 yet and we have had a CRAPTON of Gaming reveals and trailers and even remasters(looking at you FF 12).

So this has got me thinking that E3 2016 this year is gonna be big maybe even better than last years. Hey you never now!>...

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Perhaps because their second upgrade to the Gamecube didn't sell as well as they expected. :^)
It is literally the only way to stay relevant. They want you to grab any PlayStation system, and at that point you're in the ecosystem. This has benefits for them because you're less likely to switch and benefits for you because your games will work on any PlayStation device, at least that's what I'm expecting this to be a prelude to. Imagine a world where you play on your PlayStation at home, then leave somewhere and continue playing on your phone and then arrive at your friend's place and play on his machine, all seamless and hardware agnostic. It's a lot like Steam, except with a hardware component. Contrary to popular opinion, most people don't mind which piece of plastic plays their games as long as it does it competently. In fact, Valve tries to go in the same direction with SteamOS and Steam Machines. This is a plan long in the making, in my opinion. The telltale signs were Remote Play and PSNow, the future is more complex than that. The PS4 was on the market for 3 years and people claim it's already dated - what do you do when hardware can't keep up with the software? Eliminate the weak link.
Do you mean we're headed to a future where every game works on every system, and a PS/xbox will merely be rebranded steam machines? (except with all 3 stores working and compatible at once)
Or do you mean that, say, every Playstation product will be fully communicating and compatible with each other but still only within the Playstation brand itself?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you mean we're headed to a future where every game works on every system, and a PS/xbox will merely be rebranded steam machines? (except with all 3 stores working and compatible at once)
Or do you mean that, say, every Playstation product will be fully communicating and compatible with each other but still only within the Playstation brand itself?
I'm talking about a future where the PlayStation brand is the product and the hardware is of secondary importance, if at all a factor. I wouldn't call that "rebranded Dteam Machines", at the end of the day all hardware we use today springs from old designs from the 80'ies. All architectures have roots in the Intel chips, either structurally or via inspiration. The "future" will come when all our devices are interconnected and cross-compatible, and we're making huge strides to get there in recent years. Interpreted programming languages like Java or C# and environment overlays like WINE exist specifically to remove hardware constraints and focus on software. That's an ideal though, years ahead of us, PlayStation will probably retain some degree of hardware dependency and a certification system.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

At that point, why worry about hardware? Or is this their stop-gap to get out of hardware and just produce software? I mainly fear their hardware will turn into steam machines. That is, dead.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

On a related note, I do hear the opinion that all video game hardware makers should go software. Go the steam route or just make games for PC, though I usually hear a reservation for their preferred gaming machine. I disagree, but I hear it often enough.

Last edited by osaka35,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
At that point, why worry about hardware? Or is this their stop-gap to get out of hardware and just produce software? I mainly fear their hardware will turn into steam machines. That is, dead.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

On a related note, I do hear the opinion that all video game hardware makers should go software. Go the steam route or just make games for PC, though I usually hear a reservation for their preferred gaming machine. I disagree, but I hear it often enough.
I believe that for the time being Sony will keep one "PlayStation" alive as the go-to system and gold standard, periodically replacing it with an upgraded version while giving users time to switch, kind of like iPhones work. Trade in the old, update to the new - cost effective on both ends without any loss of performance. While they're doing that, they'll branch out into other sectors, offering "the same experience" through software means. Microsoft is already testing the waters with this - just look at the way Windows 10 and XBox One games co-exist now. The hardware will become a means to access a service, not the core component, at least that's my prediction. Steam Machines were killed by the lack of a standard, PlayStation and XBox offer one right out of the box.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that Sony will keep one "PlayStation" alive as the go-to system and gold standard, periodically replacing it with an upgraded version while giving users time to switch, kind of like iPhones work. Trade in the old, update to the new - cost effective on both ends without any loss of performance. While they're doing that, they'll branch out into other sectors, offering "the same experience" through software means. Microsoft is already testing the waters with this - just look at the way Windows 10 and XBox One games co-exist now. The hardware will become a means to access a service, not the core component, at least that's my prediction.
I can definitely see them trying it. Have a yearly update, perhaps, and expect an upgrade every two or three years (as is done in the cellphone business). Whether gamers will want to follow the same patterns with their video games as their cellphones, we'll see.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Next report: Microsoft confirms Xbox One two. However, they will reveal it at the same time as the NX and PS4K

This is ridiculous.

We're getting stuff we don't need or want besides the NX and they're not even showing it at the biggest trade show of the year.
Maybe e3 is no longer the right choice for them. Beside, why bother to announce a non-essential upgrade on the most expansive expo.
Please read the emails.
So first no kingdom hearts 3, no NX from Nintendo, nothing AT ALL from nintendo other than some Zelda gameplay, and now no PS4.5? This is getting extremely disappointing.
Maybe e3 is just not the right time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe that for the time being Sony will keep one "PlayStation" alive as the go-to system and gold standard, periodically replacing it with an upgraded version while giving users time to switch, kind of like iPhones work. Trade in the old, update to the new - cost effective on both ends without any loss of performance. While they're doing that, they'll branch out into other sectors, offering "the same experience" through software means. Microsoft is already testing the waters with this - just look at the way Windows 10 and XBox One games co-exist now. The hardware will become a means to access a service, not the core component, at least that's my prediction. Steam Machines were killed by the lack of a standard, PlayStation and XBox offer one right out of the box.
But someday some apps will no longer be compatible, which does not even require NFC. And iphone apps are designed with scability, which is a problem for xbox one/ ps4

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
*Late 2012
*Early 2017
The Wii U will be 4 Years old in November this Year. By march 2017 it still won't be 5 years old. Not even close.
You're splitting hairs over 6 months and actually suggesting the NX won't be delayed again. Nintendo has never made a habit out of releasing home consoles in non-christmas shopping months anyway.

Imparasite

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
damn u sony!!! i just wish PS4 hack so hard, in 2017-2020 they will release PS4.5s, PS4.6, PS4.Ultra etc etc so expect it on coming years. its better to invest high end PC for 4k gaming than buying every year upgraded PS4 that will give you 1 or 2 new features but still cant support 60fps!!

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're splitting hairs over 6 months and actually suggesting the NX won't be delayed again. Nintendo has never made a habit out of releasing home consoles in non-christmas shopping months anyway.
8 Months, actually. And NX never was delayed. In early 2015 they announced to reveal more information next year. They never said it was coming 2016. All we had were some rumors that obviously weren't true.
As it stands MArch 2017 is the first official release date and there are no reasons to believe they're gonna delay it.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd like to see the following scenario:
Sony announces PS4 Neo first.
MS announces their new Xbox One after that with better hardware at about the same price (because according to some rumors they are willing to subsidize it). And then those who already have a PS4 might consider getting the Xbox to have both systems at home. This might get interesting in the long run. :D

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this has been said here, but PCs and consoles exist in a different market for a reason.

Until Sony and Microsoft reveal their exact plans for Scorpio and Neo, I'm remaining sceptical about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...