Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
Keep in mind as an a9lh user, it would have no use to me, but in theory, since the bootrom keys allow multiple things to be decrypted and signed, would this allow for the redirection of system updates through a custom DNS server? I'd assume not, but I'm not entirely sure why, unless it's some sort of server-side encryption I'm not aware of. This is mainly for curiosity sake, and partly to change the topic of the thread.

P.S. it's not a bootrom exploit.
bootrom key is only used to sign and verify boot0 nothing else so no it's no good for system updates

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
From #1 - why do you need the public dump? Isn't/wasn't it's only use in 1. identifying the exploitable bug and 2. seeing where the pointers are pointing to?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Keep in mind as an a9lh user, it would have no use to me, but in theory, since the bootrom keys allow multiple things to be decrypted and signed, would this allow for the redirection of system updates through a custom DNS server? I'd assume not, but I'm not entirely sure why, unless it's some sort of server-side encryption I'm not aware of. This is mainly for curiosity sake, and partly to change the topic of the thread.

P.S. it's not a bootrom exploit.
Actually this has a lot of use for you, it's basically an updated A9LH.
What are basically saying is, "As a Menuhax user, A9LH has not use to me."
I am not sure about the details on the rest, since I don't know those details

Reactions: Deleted User

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
From #1 - why do you need the public dump? Isn't/wasn't it's only use in 1. identifying the exploitable bug and 2. seeing where the pointers are pointing to?
We don't have any of this information, the guys from 32c3 didn't put up any useful info publically so all we have is their explanation of what they did

Reactions: HyperT

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, suppose there's a vending machine that takes coins. It validates the coins by size and weight. So you run across some Bangladeshi coins that have the exact same size as an acceptable coin, just are a bit too light. So your exploit is to melt some lead and add a few drops on the coins, which now have the correct weight and the vending machine accepts them.

What are you now exploiting? You're changing the coin, but the thing you're *taking advantage of* is the way the machine validates the coins. So it's a machine-exploit, not a coin-exploit. Same with the bootrom. You're taking advantage of something that's incorrectly implemented in the bootrom, so it's a bootrom exploit.

Other than that, since the presenters are choosing do things the fail0verflow way, I'm not expecting anything for a while, but I doubt they won't help / give some pointers to serious devs that come up something and get stuck.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Holy shit, this thread just needs to be locked. Too many people having a fucking fight over what sighax is and what it does. Either the OP needs to explain it or there needs to be a better thread. Maybe there just needs to not be one at all, would that make the community happy?
Or we could try and not get the thread locked. We need a dedicated thread.
People could just do that thing where they report off topic posts, instead of replying to them

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant I don't need to downgrade. Ik this allows for completely different boot images and I'm hype about that.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically unless we have an arm9 exploit or hardmod to write the firm partition sighax is useless. Which means only 9.2 sysnand or below/a9lh systems will be able to make use of this hack for now. Was there any information on a newer arm9 exploit?

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

The only downside i see to this is having to risk your console every time you update sighax, if the patches have to be built in the firm. Unlike updating a9lh's payload. It could be comparable to updating a9lh itself (which has only had 2 updates so far)

EDIT: A9lh has had at least 3 updates. With them being a9lhv1, a9lhv2, and CTRNAND capable a9lhv2.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So basically unless we have an arm9 exploit or hardmod to write the firm partition sighax is useless. Which means only 9.2 sysnand or below/a9lh systems will be able to make use of this hack for now. Was there any information on a newer arm9 exploit?

You need an arm9 way of writing into the NAND (a9lh/9.2/Dsiware may be able to work for this), or a direct hardmod (it's writing directly to NAND, duh)

Last edited by Alex658,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The only downside i see to this is having to risk your console every time you update sighax, if the patches have to be built in the firm. Unlike updating a9lh's payload. It could be comparable to updating a9lh itself (which has only had 2 updates so far)

EDIT: A9lh has had at least 3 updates. With them being a9lhv1, a9lhv2, and CTRNAND capable a9lhv2.
There's a risk of bricking when updating A9LH. Nothing is without risk. Once it is released and becomes stable, the fear will be at A9LH level

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There's a risk of bricking when updating A9LH. Nothing is without risk. Once it is released and becomes stable, the fear will be at A9LH level

I know that. What i'm getting at is the frequency at which you're going to be needing to update the firms. You don't update a9lh (the loader, not the payload) each time a new corbenik/luma commit is up, yes?

If payloads are separate from patched firms then even if practically the same thing as a9lh, except for slightly earlier control of the console, it would minimize risks. Don't you think?

MorshumanKL02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so will signhax let you bypass the detection in some games where it deteces the code of the game plugin of ntr cfw ain't legit and doesn't let you go online?

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
so will signhax let you bypass the detection in some games where it deteces the code of the game plugin of ntr cfw ain't legit and doesn't let you go online?
The reason for you not being able to go online is because the plugin blocks it.
The default ntr plugin main by Cell9 is made to do this.
However there was one released that removed this online block. Plugins built with this modified version will not block online.

And EVEN IF the game was preventing you from going online due to modified code. Why exactly would Sighax change anything?

SigHax doesn't change anything about your Custom Firmware.
If SigHax can do it. A9LH likely can do it as well. (Given the CFW supports it)

Well first of all we need to know the pointer for the Signature check to exploit the bad verification and let it memcmp the expected result pointer with the sigpointer (that should now be the expected result pointer).

And additionally. I think the way bruteforcing would work by using the BootROM dump to do the verification on the computer rather than on 3ds (because we don't need the blackbox method anymore).
Meaning we can generate a signature with this fixed pointer over and over and see if it checks out. Without needing to reinject the edited FIRM over and over again into the device to see if it works.
This will make bruteforcing a signature that checks out with the pointer at the end considerably faster.

(At least this is my understanding of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by Zan',

MorshumanKL02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason for you not being able to go online is because the plugin blocks it.
The default ntr plugin main by Cell9 is made to do this.
However there was one released that removed this online block. Plugins built with this modified version will not block online.

And EVEN IF the game was preventing you from going online due to modified code. Why exactly would Sighax change anything?

SigHax doesn't change anything about your Custom Firmware.
If SigHax can do it. A9LH likely can do it as well. (Given the CFW supports it)

Well first of all we need to know the pointer for the Signature check to exploit the bad verification and let it memcmp the expected result pointer with the sigpointer (that should now be the expected result pointer).

And additionally. I think the way bruteforcing would work by using the BootROM dump to do the verification on the computer rather than on 3ds (because we don't need the blackbox method anymore).
Meaning we can generate a signature with this fixed pointer over and over and see if it checks out. Without needing to reinject the edited FIRM over and over again into the device to see if it works.
This will make bruteforcing a signature that checks out with the pointer at the end considerably faster.

(At least this is my understanding of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Ah okay, that makes sense, I did see that one of the game plugin that i used to attempt to go online was made by cell9 among a few other ppl. So i feel i should ask is there a converter i can use to convert my .plg to not block online? Do i have to grab a program or something to edit the .plg and manually modify it?

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah okay, that makes sense, I did see that one of the game plugin that i used to attempt to go online was made by cell9 among a few other ppl. So i feel i should ask is there a converter i can use to convert my .plg to not block online? Do i have to grab a program or something to edit the .plg and manually modify it?
Cheating online is a pretty scumbag thing to do, that's why it blocks you from going online

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.