HWFLY Switch can't boot into Hekate

PosquitoSan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, I installed a HWFLY modchip in my V2 Mariko Switch (on latest 16.0.3 firmware) but I having some troubles to get it working.

The modchip is installed correctly and it's updated (I update via USB to release 0.7.2 of hwfly-nx with improved support for Toshiba eMMC) and seems to working just fine, however I cant boot into Hekate or even the OFW itself (getting the blue screen on OFW, maybe i bricked the eMMC somehow, idk).

I tried several instances of hekate on the SD, older and newer versions and the best result I have was with 6.0.4. Using this the chip pulses just fine but nothing appears on screen, but if I remove the SD card the screen show this text:

Failed to init or mount SD!
hekate exception occurred (LR 40012E242):
DABRT
Press any key...

Pressing any key brings me to the text-based Hekate 6.0.4, and there says "Warning: Nyx is Missing!". I read somewhere that Nyx is the GUI for the Hekate, so makes sense they not appear. But even reinstalling Hekate several times/versions this problem persists. If I put the SD card back into console and go back to the hekate text menu and choose Reboot i came back to black screen, and removing the SD card again appears the same error as before with a slighty change:

hekate exception occurred (LR 40014B74):
DABRT
Press any key...

I tried with 3 good working SD cards: 128GB SanDisk, 64GB HP and a 16GB generic
Also tried FAT32 and ExFAT, format using Rufus, EaseUS Partition Master, Windows itself, check the partition is primary etc.

If I try to boot normally with the SD card inserted and wait on the black screen, after several minutes this error occours:

hekate exception occurred (LR 40028D08):
RESET
Press any key...

Maybe I screwed the eMMC but don't know how. Going to console info on Hekate and choosing eMMC the console reboots, but Hekate doesnt need the eMMC to boot, right?

If anyone could help with tips or tell me what i'm doing wrong will be very helpful! <3

Last edited by PosquitoSan,

PosquitoSan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Same problem. could you solve it?
Nope, still unsolved.

I replaced the eMMC for a brand new one from Aliexpress and the problem persists, so probably my original eMMC is working fine. Maybe the CPU get too much heat during the HWFLY QSB installation and cause some problem. I will take it to a friend who works repairing iphones to check all capacitors around the CPU and RAM and search for problems. If everything's fine, we will try reflow or reball the CPU.

At this point I doubt this is a software problem, seems to be a hardware issue.

o0SaN0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nope, still unsolved.

I replaced the eMMC for a brand new one from Aliexpress and the problem persists, so probably my original eMMC is working fine. Maybe the CPU get too much heat during the HWFLY QSB installation and cause some problem. I will take it to a friend who works repairing iphones to check all capacitors around the CPU and RAM and search for problems. If everything's fine, we will try reflow or reball the CPU.

it's so weird. this is my second switch with the same problem. I made more than 60 consoles. the installation of the picofly was perfect.

roxzii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey there!

Kinda the same problem over here, rp2040 glitches, no sd card screen shows, but hekate won't.

Can you guys try UMS-Loader as the payload and see if that works? It's the only payload that works for me and it looks like it might be due to DRAM.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
If this was an OLED understandable, but I have no clue how you people can fuck up a v2 install cause its literally 1-2 solder joints.

• Haha
Reactions: Blavla

roxzii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If this was an OLED understandable, but I have no clue how you people can fuck up a v2 install cause its literally 1-2 solder joints.
I would say that isn't the best reply for someone in a help thread. Mine actually is an OLED and I'm using the picofly, but that's not the point.
I don't understand why people who are not willing to help take the time just to be unhelpful and bitter torwards people who are just trying to get some advice.
Post automatically merged:

Hey there!

Kinda the same problem over here, rp2040 glitches, no sd card screen shows, but hekate won't.

Can you guys try UMS-Loader as the payload and see if that works? It's the only payload that works for me and it looks like it might be due to DRAM.
Back to the problem that matters: @PosquitoSan , @o0SaN0o , any luck running the payload I mentioned?

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I would say that isn't the best reply for someone in a help thread. Mine actually is an OLED and I'm using the picofly, but that's not the point.
I don't understand why people who are not willing to help take the time just to be unhelpful and bitter torwards people who are just trying to get some advice.

Back to the problem that matters: @PosquitoSan , @o0SaN0o , any luck running the payload I mentioned?
Not to sound rude but if you fuck up something that is supposedly easy to undertake you're just not fit for the job.

OP seem to have mangled his SD slot at least that's what his error indicate.

Last edited by Hassal,

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys, I installed a HWFLY modchip in my V2 Mariko Switch (on latest 16.0.3 firmware) but I having some troubles to get it working.

The modchip is installed correctly and it's updated (I update via USB to release 0.7.2 of hwfly-nx with improved support for Toshiba eMMC) and seems to working just fine, however I cant boot into Hekate or even the OFW itself (getting the blue screen on OFW, maybe i bricked the eMMC somehow, idk).

I tried several instances of hekate on the SD, older and newer versions and the best result I have was with 6.0.4. Using this the chip pulses just fine but nothing appears on screen, but if I remove the SD card the screen show this text:

hekate exception occurred (LR 40012E242):
DABRT
Press any key...

Pressing any key brings me to the text-based Hekate 6.0.4, and there says "Warning: Nyx is Missing!". I read somewhere that Nyx is the GUI for the Hekate, so makes sense they not appear. But even reinstalling Hekate several times/versions this problem persists. If I put the SD card back into console and go back to the hekate text menu and choose Reboot i came back to black screen, and removing the SD card again appears the same error as before with a slighty change:

hekate exception occurred (LR 40014B74):
DABRT
Press any key...

I tried with 3 good working SD cards: 128GB SanDisk, 64GB HP and a 16GB generic
Also tried FAT32 and ExFAT, format using Rufus, EaseUS Partition Master, Windows itself, check the partition is primary etc.

If I try to boot normally with the SD card inserted and wait on the black screen, after several minutes this error occours:

hekate exception occurred (LR 40028D08):
RESET
Press any key...

Maybe I screwed the eMMC but don't know how. Going to console info on Hekate and choosing eMMC the console reboots, but Hekate doesnt need the eMMC to boot, right?

If anyone could help with tips or tell me what i'm doing wrong will be very helpful! <3
show some closeup solder photos

it's so weird. this is my second switch with the same problem. I made more than 60 consoles. the installation of the picofly was perfect.
tried with hwfly or other chip ?

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Nope, still unsolved.

i have one now. reball solved nothing. the emmc is working fine in ofw but when boot into hekate it show failed to innit sd card. the sd card work fine in ofw too. Don't know what to do next because i have reballed it already.

AppleSeeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have one now. reball solved nothing. the emmc is working fine in ofw but when boot into hekate it show failed to innit sd card. the sd card work fine in ofw too. Don't know what to do next because i have reballed it already.
Hi, I wondered if you eventually found a solution to this problem? I have exactly the same problem as yours. Bought a OLED from someone, the seller had no clue what modchip it's installed and I have only experience with Erista and never worked on a patched device. So it took me a little while to confirm the modchip to be HWFLY flashable version.

The previous setting was OFW (SysNAND) + CFW (SD Files). I prefer CFW on EmuMMC so I decided to restart from scratch. Formatted the OFW and updated to the latest HOS 17.0.0.

I downloaded the latest Hekate (6.0.7) and Atmosphere (1.6.2) and put them on the Samsung Evo plus 512GB that came with the console. I made a Raw partition-based EmuMMC from the HOS SysNAND (I have done the initialization in HOS before cloning).

NEXT STEP IS WHERE I START TO ENCOUNTER THE PROBLEM.

Every time I chainload CFW Atmosphere through Hekate, it shows the Atmosphere boot logo but then ends up with a black screen. I had to manually power off. Chainloading HOS on SysNAND will give me an error below in yellow:

It just shows the following text in yellow:
"Failed to init or Mount SD!
Press any key..."

After pressing a key, it takes me back to a text-based Hekate menu, basically saying the same thing, Nyx is missing etc. At this point, I am not too sure if it's the microSD card, it was working perfectly fine, but now, it refuses to work in the way I desired. I can still boot normally into HOS without using Hekate, and the access to microSD appears to be normal as well. I have only got myself into this new realm for a few hours, I don't know if this is something that just needs an easy fix or actually might be a bigger problem, I hope it's the former.

I also tried to make an EmuMMC as SD Files-based, didn't show me any magic, though.

Sorry, I talked too much, just trying to provide as much information as possible since I am here to seek help. Any thoughts/updates? Thank you!

AppleSeeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sound like it doesn't recognize the SD card.

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply.

I just had another attempt and this time, it boots into CFW on EmuMMC from Hekate. Instead of chainload atmosphere in Hekate, I did it by simply running the fusee.bin. So I think the previous failure to launch CFW could have something to do with hekate_ipl configs, it was set to run as fss0 instead of fusee.bin, so maybe that's why.

But the problem hasn't really been solved for me. After the successful loading of CFW, I restarted, and as expected, it rebooted into HOS (without any modification), so good so far. AND THEN, when I power off from there, and power it back on, I was expecting to see the Hekate GUI show up, right? As it's just how the modchip works, I mean, without requiring RCM injection that's better than the V1 model though. However, this time, it shows the error above-mentioned in yellow again. Interestingly, I kept going in the text-based menu and tried to chainload CFW. First, it shows a different error in red, but it has something to do with "SD card reader not prepared/seated", I can't remember the exact wording but it has "seated" in it, then I immediately retried, and it actually worked the second time!? I am getting lost here...

Is this something expected with a modchip-based console? Or it definitely doesn't sound right?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thank you for your prompt reply.

I just had another attempt and this time, it boots into CFW on EmuMMC from Hekate. Instead of chainload atmosphere in Hekate, I did it by simply running the fusee.bin. So I think the previous failure to launch CFW could have something to do with hekate_ipl configs, it was set to run as fss0 instead of fusee.bin, so maybe that's why.

But the problem hasn't really been solved for me. After the successful loading of CFW, I restarted, and as expected, it rebooted into HOS (without any modification), so good so far. AND THEN, when I power off from there, and power it back on, I was expecting to see the Hekate GUI show up, right? As it's just how the modchip works, I mean, without requiring RCM injection that's better than the V1 model though. However, this time, it shows the error above-mentioned in yellow again. Interestingly, I kept going in the text-based menu and tried to chainload CFW. First, it shows a different error in red, but it has something to do with "SD card reader not prepared/seated", I can't remember the exact wording but it has "seated" in it, then I immediately retried, and it actually worked the second time!? I am getting lost here...

Is this something expected with a modchip-based console? Or it definitely doesn't sound right?

It looks for payload.bin on the root of the SD card, so rename a copy of Hekate as payload.bin

AppleSeeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It looks for payload.bin on the root of the SD card, so rename a copy of Hekate as payload.bin
It was already done so this way. I always wanted my switch to boot into Hekate when it powers on. It has been the norm for device setup a few years ago since the original switch.

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, I wondered if you eventually found a solution to this problem? I have exactly the same problem as yours. Bought a OLED from someone, the seller had no clue what modchip it's installed and I have only experience with Erista and never worked on a patched device. So it took me a little while to confirm the modchip to be HWFLY flashable version.

The previous setting was OFW (SysNAND) + CFW (SD Files). I prefer CFW on EmuMMC so I decided to restart from scratch. Formatted the OFW and updated to the latest HOS 17.0.0.

I downloaded the latest Hekate (6.0.7) and Atmosphere (1.6.2) and put them on the Samsung Evo plus 512GB that came with the console. I made a Raw partition-based EmuMMC from the HOS SysNAND (I have done the initialization in HOS before cloning).

NEXT STEP IS WHERE I START TO ENCOUNTER THE PROBLEM.

Every time I chainload CFW Atmosphere through Hekate, it shows the Atmosphere boot logo but then ends up with a black screen. I had to manually power off. Chainloading HOS on SysNAND will give me an error below in yellow:

It just shows the following text in yellow:
"Failed to init or Mount SD!
Press any key..."

After pressing a key, it takes me back to a text-based Hekate menu, basically saying the same thing, Nyx is missing etc. At this point, I am not too sure if it's the microSD card, it was working perfectly fine, but now, it refuses to work in the way I desired. I can still boot normally into HOS without using Hekate, and the access to microSD appears to be normal as well. I have only got myself into this new realm for a few hours, I don't know if this is something that just needs an easy fix or actually might be a bigger problem, I hope it's the former.

I also tried to make an EmuMMC as SD Files-based, didn't show me any magic, though.

Sorry, I talked too much, just trying to provide as much information as possible since I am here to seek help. Any thoughts/updates? Thank you!
i did. i extracted data nand from the old emmc to new emmc and replace it with the old one and the device worked. i sold that one already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol