Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Or if you just want to boot without needing an SD...
The author of the Kecleon patch had this implemented a few months ago. At least they don't need to update it for b9s now. It's funny, because I swear AuroraWright said she wasn't interested in putting this in mainstream Luma. Glad she changed her mind :-)

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The author of the Kecleon patch had this implemented a few months ago. At least they don't need to update it for b9s now. It's funny, because I swear AuroraWright said she wasn't interested in putting this in mainstream Luma. Glad she changed her mind :-)
But this still doesn't mean it's a clean system for tournaments. Since holding start, assuming you followed the new steps, will load up GodMode9, even without an SD Card.

TLNiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
But this still doesn't mean it's a clean system for tournaments. Since holding start, assuming you followed the new steps, will load up GodMode9, even without an SD Card.
Or will it? It is still the same chainload that loads additional payloads in luma folder, isn't it? If you don't have godmode9 or have something else beside it there, it'll give you an option or won't give you any. And it still reads them from SD.

Snerik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait, 3 questions. Bit of a noob here...

1. What's the difference between Luma and Arm9loader? I thought Luma was the CFW and Arm9loader was... Well I'm not sure...
2. Can Arm9loader/Luma be patched by nintendo if they find a way?
3. So sighax, if I'm understanding this correctly, is a CFW that is basically impossible for nintendo to patch?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait, 3 questions. Bit of a noob here...

1. What's the difference between Luma and Arm9loader? I thought Luma was the CFW and Arm9loader was... Well I'm not sure...
2. Can Arm9loader/Luma be patched by nintendo if they find a way?
3. So sighax, if I'm understanding this correctly, is a CFW that is basically impossible for nintendo to patch?
1. Arm9LoaderHax is an implementation of a vulnerability in the New3DS firmware's arm9loader, which allows for arbitrary code execution. Boot9Strap/Sighax supercedes A9LH because it works earlier in the boot process.

Luma3DS is a custom firmware (well, runtime firmware patcher) that can be loaded at boot time using Boot9Strap (and previously A9LH).

2. It's possible for Nintendo to add code in a future firmware update that could detect Luma and/or restore the FIRM partitions, but they haven't done so as of yet. With the Sighax vulnerability, this can always be reverted using a hardmod.

3. Sighax is a vulnerability in the Boot ROM, which is permanently burned into the main CPU and cannot be changed. The only way Nintendo can fix this is with a hardware revision. (It's entirely possible that the New 2DS XL fixes this, but we'll have to wait and see.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

Snerik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Arm9LoaderHax is an implementation of a vulnerability in the New3DS firmware's arm9loader, which allows for arbitrary code execution. Boot9Strap/Sighax supercedes A9LH because it works earlier in the boot process.

Luma3DS is a custom firmware (well, runtime firmware patcher) that can be loaded at boot time using Boot9Strap (and previously A9LH).

2. It's possible for Nintendo to add code in a future firmware update that could detect Luma and/or restore the FIRM partitions, but they haven't done so as of yet. With the Sighax vulnerability, this can always be reverted using a hardmod.

3. Sighax is a vulnerability in the Boot ROM, which is permanently burned into the main CPU and cannot be changed. The only way Nintendo can fix this is with a hardware revision. (It's entirely possible that the New 2DS XL fixes this, but we'll have to wait and see.)
I see, so sighax basically beats any other CFW, in terms of viability, because its irreversible. So is the main end goal of all this to add a counter measure in case Nintendo decides they want to patch the current exploits? Also what's stopping Nintendo from doing that right now? It should be well with in their ability at this point, right?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Help me out. https://sciresm.github.io/33-and-a-half-c3/ "A BLAST FROM THE PAST" slide mentions system firmware 0.14 (1.0.0-0) and on checks against sighax. So are the checks patched via Luma or are we using magic?

Reactions: Joey23475

wwylele

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Help me out. https://sciresm.github.io/33-and-a-half-c3/ "A BLAST FROM THE PAST" slide mentions system firmware 0.14 (1.0.0-0) and on checks against sighax. So are the checks patched via Luma or are we using magic?
As I understood, the mentioned check in system firmware 0.14 is not the sighax itself. It is a similar vulnerability in the early firmware. Because they couldn't do research on sighax directly (because no public bootrom), they used that firmware vulnerability to make a perfect signature and thus made sighax. In the end we don't use that early firmware vulnerability.

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understood, the mentioned check in system firmware 0.14 is not the sighax itself. It is a similar vulnerability in the early firmware. Because they couldn't do research on sighax directly (because no public bootrom), they used that firmware vulnerability to make a perfect signature and thus made sighax. In the end we don't use that early firmware vulnerability.

Lovely. Way for them to refer to it on the slides literally as SigHax. Sigh. Sometimes I just wonder with the 3DS scene. Anyways, thanks for the info!

hurrz

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have already posted this question on an earlier post by me but only after I've edited it, so that might be the reason why there has been no answer yet because nothing popped up.
So here is my question:
I got 2 N3DSXL consoles. One had A9HL on it which has been updated to B9S (source console) and the other one was stock OFW on 11.4. I successfully got B9S on that system as well by following DSiWare game injection of the guide (target console).
@Plailect Why would I want to redo the system transfer after succeeding in DSiWare games injection) from target console back to source console? This is still unclear to me since I had installed Boot9Strap on the source console, so it is still there, isn't it? Using the source 3DS' microSD card, I can still access Godmode9. So where would be the point for the system to be transferred again? Is it possible to just reconfigure the target console by injecting FBI to H&S and then reinstalling needed cia titles (Luma updater 2, HBL etc.)?
Thanks for answering questions (I can wait a week, so there is no problem. It is just that I want to know why I would have to transfer back because after this transfer, the target console would have to be resetup like the source console would have to be now, right?

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it mean that we now have the potential to play DS games on a 3DS without a flashcard?
Cheers,

Umm....... https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

I have already posted this question on an earlier post by me but only after I've edited it, so that might be the reason why there has been no answer yet because nothing popped up.
So here is my question:
I got 2 N3DSXL consoles. One had A9HL on it which has been updated to B9S (source console) and the other one was stock OFW on 11.4. I successfully got B9S on that system as well by following DSiWare game injection of the guide (target console).
@Plailect Why would I want to redo the system transfer after succeeding in DSiWare games injection) from target console back to source console? This is still unclear to me since I had installed Boot9Strap on the source console, so it is still there, isn't it? Using the source 3DS' microSD card, I can still access Godmode9. So where would be the point for the system to be transferred again? Is it possible to just reconfigure the target console by injecting FBI to H&S and then reinstalling needed cia titles (Luma updater 2, HBL etc.)?
Thanks for answering questions (I can wait a week, so there is no problem. It is just that I want to know why I would have to transfer back because after this transfer, the target console would have to be resetup like the source console would have to be now, right?

Doing a system transfer also transfers your NNID (Nintendo Network ID). If you want it back on your source console, you have 2 options. (1) think of a good reason and call Nintendo to have them transfer is back, or (2) transfer your second system back to your first. This is only for retaining your NNID on your first console. Otherwise, there is no need. Transferring doesn't remove B9S.

So yes, you can inject FBI into H&S and go from there. The only reason to transfer back is so that your NNID gets tied to the source console again.

Freshly getting a console ban, now I wonder if there would be a way to unban without utilizing that lcfs, whatever it is.

Depends on the type of ban and why you got it.

Reactions: hurrz

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo