[Rumor] Valve working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with hardw

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, if they go with Windows 8, maybe they should make it based on the ARM architecture. Though that would lead to major difficulties with current games. I'd find it more believable, to say the least.
>Arm
>On a console
Is there something I'm missing here?
It's a cheaper(?) processor architecture that works with Windows 8. That's all I was getting at.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hell, if they go with Windows 8, maybe they should make it based on the ARM architecture. Though that would lead to major difficulties with current games. I'd find it more believable, to say the least.
>Arm
>On a console
It's a cheaper(?) processor architecture that works with Windows 8. That's all I was getting at.
Cheaper, yes. But at the same time much less robust and capable. I don't see many ARM PC's tailored for gaming, nu-uh.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Although a PC would be much more suited, there is one thing for sure.
Sony and Microsoft need to run :P
New PCs usually have HDMI and compatibility with USB Controllers so the only benefit would be if they decide to make Steam optimized for the Hardware.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Arm
>On a console
Cheaper, yes. But at the same time much less robust and capable. I don't see many ARM PC's tailored for gaming, nu-uh.
I don't see many ARM PC's period.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about the specs, but if Valve did go through with making a console... I'd be very interested, to say the least.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll pass on the console not enough going on to invest in it although I did buy Fortune Summoners off of Steam since I was really interested in it and it was really cute. I'll stick with my high end PC, it plays the game perfectly.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holey moley. If this is true, it's gonna be sweeeeeeet. Though I'd imagine that it'll be rather expensive...

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This can be a good idea... it all comes down to the price.

If it's cheap, then hell yeah. Amazing idea. If it's more than it would cost to make a decent gaming computer, you're better off just doing that.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So basically get rid of the disc/whatever format and go fully digital? Not really that bad an idea, if it's possible to play the games already owned on steam :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So basically get rid of the disc/whatever format and go fully digital? Not really that bad an idea, if it's possible to play the games already owned on steam :)
>Valve says this will run any PC game.
>Valve strips it off a disc drive, opting for Digital Distribution.
>Not all games are available via Digital Distribution.
>Valve is f*cking stupid.

also...

>People can't get to play their disc-based games.
>People get pissed off.
>"Console-o-PC" is based on Windows.
>Piracy is as rampant as it gets.

Get over those hurdles, Valve.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TBH almost every PC game worth playing is on Steam and the ones that aren't are either on Origin or are quite old.

That being said, any PC (or console) capable of playing every Steam game for a reasonable price is rather amazing, if it happens.

Also, I feel like "Steam Engine" would be a good name for it. Although it may get confused with "Source Engine" and "Steam Engine" would be a good name for Valve's next engine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

TBH almost every PC game worth playing is on Steam and the ones that aren't are either on Origin or are quite old.

That being said, any PC (or console) capable of playing every Steam game for a reasonable price is rather amazing, if it happens.

Also, I feel like "Steam Engine" would be a good name for it. Although it may get confused with "Source Engine" and "Steam Engine" would be a good name for Valve's next engine.
I will literally throw it out the window if I will not be able to play my PC oldies on it. I demand my PC oldies. I also don't think that either Steam or Origin should be the defining critics of which games deserve to be played and which don't - there are always some underdogs that are not available online and not including an optical drives in days when a DVD drive, (which would be entirely enough, although BluRay is welcome, but that pimps up the price. Again.) is the cost equivalent of a McDonald's meal is ridiculous.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will literally throw it out the window if I will not be able to play my PC oldies on it. I demand my PC oldies. I also don't think that either Steam or Origin should be the defining critics of which games deserve to be played and which don't - there are always some underdogs that are not available online and not including an optical drives in days when a DVD drive, (which would be entirely enough, although BluRay is welcome, but that pimps up the price. Again.) is the cost equivalent of a McDonald's meal is ridiculous.

I doubt Steam would abandon the PC platform altogether with this project. You certainly wouldn't have to give up your PC to enjoy Steam and its games, that'd be suicide. Odds are this would be developed as a cheaper solution to expanding PC gaming and Steam. Let's theoretically say this works much in the way OnLive does. Much like OnLive, it'd have some compromises. Not everyone can afford a good PC for playing every Steam game, but a (random figure) $100 console? That's a lot more manageable. Of course PC gamers wouldn't experience the input lag and could have access to unofficial mods and other features, but for broadening Steam's reach, it's a genius idea.

So as a PC gamer you really won't have much to fear, that's just my guess. There's risky moves and then there's suicide. Jumping ship on the PC market for their own console would be absolute suicide. Fan backlash would slice them in half and they're already facing a market with three competitors in it. Steam almost has a glorified monopoly on PC gaming. Compared to Origin, GFWL, etc, it's a giant.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I doubt Steam would abandon the PC platform altogether with this project.
Not what I meant, I meant my oldies on discs ;). From we know now, the project is actually some form of a PC running Windows anyways, I just dislike the idea of not having an optical drive - it reminds me of a netbook or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone