US Senator sends a formal letter to Valve, addressing the extremist content & other hateful ideologies present on their platform Steam

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
960x0.jpg

New Hampshire Senator Maggie Hassan in her letter that was addressed to Gabe Newell (and Valve), she claims that "Steam has a significant presence of users displaying and espousing neo-Nazi, extremist, racial supremacist, misogynistic, and other hateful sentiments.", which she proves that it goes against their Subscriber Agreement & Steam Online Conduct Rules.

As it clearly says on the Steam Online Conduct page : “Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others” and to not “Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying Steam services, software or other content.”

She also expressed in great detail that "The exposure to explicit, unambiguous, and pervasive symbols, visuals, and words and phrases associated with racial supremacy, neo-Nazism, antisemitism, gender-based violence or harassment, homophobia, and other hateful and harmful ideologies restricts and inhibits many Steam users from participating in communities free of harassing, abusive, and threatening behavior. Furthermore, allowing racist, extremist, anti-semitic, and other hateful ideologies an unimpeded space in which they can flourish online allows for the very real threat of violence in offline, physical spaces."

On a similar note, a recent report by the Anti-Defamation League, found that “nearly one in ten gamers between ages 13 and 17 had been exposed to white-supremacist ideology and themes in online multiplayer games.”

She sees that it is necessary for Valve to take decisive action regarding this matter, "Valve should be taking steps to prevent harmful content" as Steam has a vast domestic and global reach and is used by players of all ages, which could be at risk when they are on & using their platform.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by CoolMe,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think this is really a moderation issue that needs to be addressed on all gaming related platforms. Neo-Nazis and White Nationalists have become far more embedded in gaming and they’ve been spreading their propaganda on every platform. Worst of all, it’s most likely only a few small groups with bots that are spreading this influence.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if i would go to search on steam, would i find a cute anime girl dressed in an nazi SS uniform?

i expect yes, but maybe i am wrong.

i believe what the politician says is true, that there is lots of unmoderated stuff on steam, like on all gaming platforms.
on the other hand i totally see steam not being successful if that weren't the case.

but:
the first two words above already told me everything i needed to know "new hampshire".
someone needed attention.

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess Sex with Hitler is going soon. Should get the game before it goes down. Same for the Bible on steam. I'll make those the most played games and often play them so they stay easy to see.
A recent report by the Anti-Defamation League found that “nearly one in ten gamers between ages 13 and 17 had been exposed to white-supremacist ideology and themes in online multiplayer games.” With extremist ideologies and antisemitic violence on the rise around the world, it is incumbent upon companies to monitor the content that users introduce into their products.
Me and the bois getting ready to join the KKK and worship Adolf Dripler after some 40 year old fatass says the n-word in MW2 voice chat or some random 12yo sends a shitty drawing of the easiest to draw symbol (like its two fucking lines, how do you mess that up).

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well I guess Sex with Hitler is going soon.
TBH Hugo Boss designed the Uniform for the SS and they were quite spiffy compared to some others that were around about at the same era. I seen a few xxx movies where woman are dressed up in some sexy nazi type uniforms and TBH, yep they made me rise to the occasion. Then again sexy nurses or just hot women wearing sexy stuff do the same thing, but the nazi chicks look especially dirty and would probably do things to you that you'd remember for the rest of your days.

• Haha
Reactions: Digital_Cheese

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I personally haven't seen much, if any of it on Steam, but maybe I just haven't been playing the right games recently. Steam does have more than a hundred million total users, though, so it doesn't surprise me certain titles draw out the 'Xbox Live' crowd in mass.

TBH Hugo Boss designed the Uniform for the SS and they were quite spiffy compared to some others that were around about at the same era. I seen a few xxx movies where woman are dressed up in some sexy nazi type uniforms and TBH, yep they made me rise to the occasion. Then again sexy nurses or just hot women wearing sexy stuff do the same thing, but the nazi chicks look especially dirty and would probably do things to you that you'd remember for the rest of your days.
Yikes.

Last edited by Xzi,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most Boomers are settled on the idea that games make people violent so taking their advice is something other generations shouldn't do. Even if there's a valid point here, it's better off Valve just doing things on their own.
Post automatically merged:

This logo looks a lot like that Austrian painter's old logo, but it's fully supported by the Western media and its governments, plus the majority of the population so they see nothing wrong with it.

NATO-logo-B8699C698B-seeklogo.com.png

And who cares how they ruined lives of innocents before, right?

Last edited by Marc_LFD,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So is does Tim Sweeney and Epic Games Launcher any better? I guess that makes her feminazi SJW LGBT herself.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it's important that the youth shouldn't grow up thinking that white supremacy is ok. Therefore, I find moderation to be important. This isn't like back in the 80s where you could play KKK's Revenge by knowing a guy who knew a guy who had a bootleg copy. This is a large, online store directly selling these games next to the regular ones.

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I think it's important that the youth shouldn't grow up thinking that white supremacy is ok. Therefore, I find moderation to be important. This isn't like back in the 80s where you could play KKK's Revenge by knowing a guy who knew a guy who had a bootleg copy. This is a large, online store directly selling these games next to the regular ones.
I agree, however I don't really see how it would change just by having to go through more effort to get a game. Also I've never seen games such as Sex with Hitler being sold right next to the usual games.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gabe should've just replied with "Ok boomer", heh.
Mean, that shit she's addressing is all over the internet, whaddaya wanna do, just, cancel the internet in general?
These kinda people should be considered mentally challenged when it comes to anything related to internet, mh.

Still, I do also guess Valve would have all the cash in the world to afford people to actually moderate what's going on with their service and such. But as if any corporations cares about anything but making money, mh.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just block them. Also, some people post Hitler and Nazi shit, because it gets a rise out of people, and they're just trolls. A Senator doing shit like this is just going to encourage them.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright