"Apple has lifted its restriction on retro game emulators on the iOS App Store"

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulators were never entirely banned, they were instead restricted to specific game(s) provided by the app. Even the BASIC mode from a C64 emulator had to be removed.

I'm not sure this actually changes anything, as it doesn't explicitly allow user supplied software.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
apple is turning into google and nintendo is turning into apple :creep:
It's rare for me to say this but Nintendo is worse than Apple. At least Apple isn't suing things like iOS launchers for Android or something else. Apple is shit, but somehow Nintendo has found ways to be worse

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
apple used to be like that they would sue anyone and anything that looked like their idiot apple logo. like i said they have switched places
:lol:

Playing devil's advocate, from my understanding they kind of have to thanks to trademark law, IIRC they got sued twice by The Beatles because of it as well.

It's also why you see idiotic things like "Adobe Photoshop TM" in the media, if a term becomes generic enough a company risks losing their trademark.

I'd also still argue they haven't "switched places", remember, Nintendo tried to ban game genie and I think this 'news' is a nothing burger as nothing has changed from what I can tell, i.e. don't expect Retroarch on the Apple app store anytime soon.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: retrospect

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They’ve approved it for distribution via AltStore in Europe, not the App Store. Having looked into modern iOS emulation, I think I’m more backing Ignited anyway. Just seems like Delta with more features lol.
Oh ok, that's not remotely exciting then. I'll keep a look out for Ignited 👍

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol