[Release][WIP] Dragon Quest 8 3ED (Orchestrated, Uncensored and Undubbed)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Asia81, Jan 24, 2017.

1. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Ok. Mine didn't reboot but maybe it's because it's a N3DS.

But yeah, I got the freeze. I'm actually searching for the file which cause the freeze.

It might take a little while to fix though, as it's a voice after a pretty long cutscene so it make tests pretty long (except if I'm lucky and if I quickly find the voices of this part in the files by listening to them).

I guess this part can be skipped? As Asia81 completed the game without finding this crash.

Edit : I think I already found where those files are in the sound folders, seems I'm pretty lucky today!

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 15, 2017
    hiten likes this.

2. hiten

hiten GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2007
    Indonesia
    Yes, it's not part of the main story.

3. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Again, the crash is caused by Dhoulmagus' laughs (like the first one we found in the game)..

I guess we'll release a new version before the final one we planned, to fix this crash.

hiten likes this.
  4. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenb├╝ren
    His laugh is so disturbing, even the game itself gets scared

5. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    The crash is fixed (while keeping the japanese voices).

I just need to recheck the first crash as the first scene which crashed before used some of those files.

And while I was at it, I also fixed the english voice which was still in the cutscene.

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 15, 2017
  6. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    I can confirm it didn't break the first crash fix so everything is okay.

The new version will be released tomorrow.

7. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    EUR version of the new undub version is released, I named it V3 to as it's the third version which is released (even if I didn't name the previous version "V2").

USA version will be available tomorrow.

8. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    Hi davhuit!

Could you outline the changes in this version for those of us who haven't followed each change?
    Is this considered to be crash-free and complete, or not yet?

Thank you all for your hard work on this project :)

Last edited by yoshinatsu, Feb 16, 2017
  9. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    It fix a "skippable crash" :

And of course, I also added all the english voices I fixed meanwhile:

It is still not 100% complete, though. I fixed it quickly because I didn't want to leave a version with a potential crash (but for people who don't want to bother to switch to the new verison, the old version works fine and can be played from start to end, as long as you don't go back to visit this particular NPC).

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 16, 2017
  10. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    USA version is released.

shawn_ likes this.
  11. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Fixed six dialogs at Chateau Felix (Felix and Tom dialogs).

Edit : Just found there is a seventh one but haven't managed to find it yet in the sound files (it seems this one in not in the right order, I will look at it later).

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 18, 2017
  12. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    New dialog fixed:

- When you give the item to the smilodon's ghost.

13. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Two new dialogs from King Clavius fixed (which now make a total of 30 dialogs fixed).

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 25, 2017
  14. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    I found a new skippable crash (if you let the princess drink the water of the spring a second time, the princess will appear in your dreams when you sleep, at the next inn, and the game will crash after a few dialogs).

I'll search the problematic file tomorrow and fix the crash, then I'll release a new version because even if it's, again, a skippable crash, I prefer to fix it as quick as I can.

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 27, 2017
    hiten likes this.
  15. devilblue1997

devilblue1997 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2017
    Where I can download the game? I don't see in the first page.

16. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    In the same place where you can download 3DS roms, so of course, not here.

Search for : "[GDrive] Dragon Quest 8 3ED (Orchestrated, Uncensored and Undubbed) [EUR/USA]" on Google, for example.

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 27, 2017
  17. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    The crash is fixed, rebuilding the new versions.

18. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    In the end, it seems I can't really fix that crash.

Once the japanese files are fixed, they works fine with the OnionFS plugin but crash the game once it's rebuilded as a .cia.

The original english files also works fine with the OnionFS plugin but crash the game once it's rebuilded as a .cia (which is not normal).

I checked every filename for the voice files and there is no error at all so I don't really see where the problem is, except it's only happen once the game is rebuilded).

(Disabling the voices in-game let the player pass the game without any crash, though).

What is weird is, contrary to the other crashes, this one make the 3DS crashes with the other "An error has occured, power down the 3DS, etc..." when the previous ones were just freezing the game.

I need to download the untouched version and check with it, to see if the problem also happen. If it happen, it'll mean it doesn't come from the undub. If it doesn't happen, it'll mean there's a problem somewhere in the undub version.

Edit : The untouched version doesn't crash, which is a good thing. I might have an idea about the crash, I'll try it and check if it fix the crash.

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 28, 2017
  19. ItsTheWolf

ItsTheWolf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2016
    Vietnam
    Sorry, I'm just curious, but I kinda wonder why these crashes happen? Do you just simply copy and paste (and probably rename) the files or there are more things that need to be done? And how do you fix these crashes? :D

20. davhuit

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Those crashs happen when a japanese file has one channel while the western version want a file with two channels for this file.

So to fix those crashs, we convert the japanese file with one channel to a japanese file with two channels (Asia81 is the one who found this difference and so how to fix the crash while keeping the japanese voices for those files).

But this time, it's different, the files I use are perfectly fine (as they work with the OnionFS plugin which let us replace files without having to rebuild the whole game) so the problem should be different.

The only thing I can think about might the "DREAM" word in the filename. which was in lowercase in the new name file, once converted (The OnionFS doesn't care about it but maybe the rebuilt version care about it), so I'm actually rebuilding a version with uppercase for the "DREAM" word in the filename.

I really hope it's that because if not, I really won't have a clue while it doesn't work (if not, I'll check all the files with the untouched version but I'm pretty sure all my files are fine as I never delete any of them, just overwriting them, also because as the game works fine when I only replace those three files using the OnionFS plugin).

Last edited by davhuit, Feb 28, 2017