Help with my first time adding a game patch, Dragon Quest 8

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, I don't think so. I was unable to test dragon quest viii. I have it, but the orchestral music was already a part of the version I installed. I can't test the restoration aspect, since my save is at the very beginning of the game. I wish there was a splash screen with the mod information like maple story, so you know that it's even working.

M97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no, I don't think so. I was unable to test dragon quest viii. I have it, but the orchestral music was already a part of the version I installed. I can't test the restoration aspect, since my save is at the very beginning of the game. I wish there was a splash screen with the mod information like maple story, so you know that it's even working.
I wouldn't be able to know as well since I haven't even started DQ8 XD

Although I do know the mod restores NPC models as well. Those being the Yellow Skirt Girl NPC and the Red Armored Girl NPC.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Nintendo bans consoles or accounts unless you're caught cheating. they used to ban for early playing of games, but I wouldn't worry about that with no new games and if you don't cheat. the romfs is done in memory most likely, so there's probably no way Nintendo would even be able to detect it even if they tried.

M97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think Nintendo bans consoles or accounts unless you're caught cheating. they used to ban for early playing of games, but I wouldn't worry about that with no new games and if you don't cheat. the romfs is done in memory most likely, so there's probably no way Nintendo would even be able to detect it even if they tried.
Okay thanks. I had scare today because I got a error code 001-0502 today after trying to download stuff in DQ8's menu while the patch was active. Thought I was banned.

Thankfully the error code was nothing to worry about and it isn't showing up anymore when connecting my other games online or when viewing my Friend List.

M97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also what is constituted as "cheating" to Nintendo?

Gehrschrein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So if I am liable to get banned I'll know immediately or can it happen at a random moment?
Hey, old thread, I know, but I've just recently dusted off my 3DSXL and CFW-d it and attempting to do the same thing as you - DQ8 Orchestrated, Uncensored, but retaining the English VOs.

Did you find success in the end with your approach?

Gehrschrein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I looked up, not sure if it will work.

So apparently the ID for US is "000400000018F100" and I just need to change the file name.

Also:

Which means as stated I should basically do this and in the "romfs" folder I should see the "data" folder and "layeredfs.plg" file from the Uncensored patch and the "rom" folder from the Orchestral patch.

Apparently this should work. Can't confirm yet.

Just in case anyone else will be looking for a solution, I can confirm that this indeed works.

Only downside is that I've now lost all of my StreetPass data and photos as I had to change the ROM version, but hey!

AlexanderTheModder12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which two folders are you talking about?

The Orchestral patch has two folders named:
000400000018F100
000400000018F200

The Uncensored patch has two folders named:
000400000015CD00
000400000018F200

Also the Uncensored patch has a folder named:
dq8res

And apparently the Uncensored patch will not work unless I change something with the files since it's JPN/EU (not sure if it's one or both) and I need to change it into US (according to someone on the forum post).
you've probably figured it out already, but just rename the European version title to the US's which is 000400000018F100
then create a folder called "plugins" and put it in there. make sure plugins are enabled through the luma configuration menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.