OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQXI 3DS Orchestral Overhaul complete.png
Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5UfufJo_uIEKfHTIXsoa8CAy42PX_SQ/view?usp=sharing

Video Preview:

This is a mod for the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, converting the synth-based soundtrack to the symphonic suite recordings.
The project started on January 14th 2021 when I was attempting to learn whether or not it was possible.
On January 16th, I was able to replace the default battle theme with DQ8's battle theme.
Afterwards, I wasn't planning on doing a full orchestral overhaul, but a few people convinced me to give it a shot!
After 4 months of being lazy, I finally got it done. I hope you enjoy this project of mine!

Requirements: A hacked 3DS with the Luma custom firmware
At least 700MB or so free space on your SD card
A method to play DQXI 3DS (Physical or digital should work fine)

Installation: Simply extract the "luma" folder to the root of your SD Card. Then insert the SD card back into your 3DS.
While your 3DS is off, hold Select and turn it on. This will bring up the Luma Configuration menu.
When in this menu, select "Enable Game Patching" and hit A. An (x) should show up to the left of the text.
Once you do that, or it is already enabled, hit Start to save and reload the 3DS.
Now your game should be Orchestrally Overhauled!

Audio Sources:
DQ5: PS2 Soundtrack
DQX: Wii U Version Soundtrack
DQVII & DQVIII: 3DS Orchestral Overhaul
Everything else: Various Symphonic Suite CDs

Tools used:
Brawlbox:
The bread and butter. Used to convert .wav files into .brstm files with loop points.
BCSTM-to-WAV-Converter: For converting the 3DS audio to .wav for easy identification
BRSTM-BCSTM-BFSTM Conversion Tool: For converting the .brstm from Brawlbox to .bcstm, mostly to avoid errors.
vgmstream: For converting the .sab files from the original Symphonic Suite mod to .wav, with loop points.

Known issues: Some music (particularly the Tickington songs) have a small click when looping. This is due to some imperfect looping due to having to loop by ear. Depending on how severe this is I may fix some of them, but I don't plan to.

Credits:
SnubSlime:
For inspiring me to work on this project after my proof-of-concept
kirbytar: For providing me BrawlBox and the DQ9 Battle theme
mike9k1: For providing the Symphonic Suite audio used in the original Orchestral Overhaul mod for the PC version
Dragabris: For identifying most songs I couldn't figure out
DQXI Orchestral Overhaul PC Mod Team:
For making the original mod I based this mod off of, Preta, Infogram, Scenedikemon, Canzah and ponaromixxx. Without that mod, this wouldn't have been possible!

Last edited by Poptheweasel100,

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very nice and great mod for the DQ community. hopefully one day there will be a English patch for DQXI for 3ds, really wanna experience this version of XI too.

also I can mod the cia of xi and replace the bgm files with these right?

Poptheweasel100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very nice and great mod for the DQ community. hopefully one day there will be a English patch for DQXI for 3ds, really wanna experience this version of XI too.

also I can mod the cia of xi and replace the bgm files with these right?

Unless a .cia file has a size limitation to install, it should be fine. It's just a file swap. The game size will be bigger, but it shouldn't reach over 3GB considering the original game in .cia format is only 2.6GB.

Really hoping for this to spark some interest in a port of the translation! Awesome mod. Works so well.

That was definitely one idea I hoped for. Only time will tell however. Don't be afraid to report issues either. I didn't test all the tracks outside of BrawlBox so there will probably be 1 or 2.

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, first of all, thanks for this great mod! Second, can you be so kind to list the .bcstm files that have a small click when looping? i would like to try to fix them.

Reactions: swosho

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's version of XI that released in English but fuck them for never releasing the 3ds version in the US

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol