ROM Hack [Release][WIP] Dragon Quest 8 3ED (Orchestrated, Uncensored and Undubbed)

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Next version will be released sometimes during April. Not sure yet it'll be the final version but if not, it'll be the second to last version (and it'll cover, at least, the whole main story).

(As I said before, I, unfortunately, have a lot less time to play since I found a job, so I basically only play it a bit during week-ends (I also like to do other things to do during my free time, not just playing a game during several hours) and as it's a pretty long game, it take a while to finish it. I already played 50 hours and I still haven't finished the game yet. I warned people at the beginning I wouldn't rush the game anyway).

But as I said before, the actual version is already pretty good to play. ~98% of the voices are in japanese so you should rarely hear english voices with it so it's not really useful to wait for a 100% version.

Last edited by davhuit,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next version will be released sometimes during April. Not sure yet it'll be the final version but if not, it'll be the second to last version (and it'll cover, at least, the whole main story).

(As I said before, I, unfortunately, have a lot less time to play since I found a job, so I basically only play it a bit during week-end (I also like to do other things to do during my free time, not just playing a game during several hours) and as it's a pretty long game, it take a while to finish it. I already played 50 hours and I still haven't finished the game yet. I warned people at the beginning I wouldn't rush the game anyway).

But as I said before, the actual version is already pretty good to play. ~98% of the voices are in japanese so you should rarely hear english voices with it so it's not really useful to wait for a 100% version.
I haven't even started the game yet. I have a huge backlog of games. :rofl: Take your time. This is a hobby, not your job. It's not like anyone is paying your have any obligation to them other than saying you would do it. There are plenty of other games to play. If people want to play the 100% version sooner, they should help instead of complaining or demanding that you work faster. I'm good with you releasing the 100% before the end of the year. Hopefully you'll provide any fixes if something gets discovered after the "final" version.

P.S. Thanks for your hard work on this. If game companies used Disney quality VA, we wouldn't want undubs so much.

Last edited by pixelmasher, , Reason: P.S.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Defeated Rapthorne first form, now searching for the seven orbs to be able to battle against the second form and finish the main story.

Edit : Got the seven orbs. I'll try to defeat the second form of Raphtorne tomorrow.

Last edited by davhuit,
Reactions: GTBSchneider17

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just finished the game (main quest), I will prepare a new version which will fix the english voices from the ending cutscenes and also a few ones I spotted before the end of the game.

(I also need to check the puff-puff club and the monster arena that I haven't tried yet).

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I started to check the monster arena part, I checked ~60% of it and I already found 87 dialogs which are still in english (which is not a surprise as I warned before I didn't test this part at all during my playthrough).

No promise but I expect to have a new version released during the next week-end (but if it's not during the next week-end, it'll be soon after anyway) which will fix the whole monster arena part, the english voices during the ending cutscenes and also the remaining battle voices still in english. It will be the biggest version since v1 as it will fix more than 100 dialogs, and will probably be the last version (except if I get some reports about some english voices still in the game or some new crashs caused by the latest added voices).

Last edited by davhuit,

NaRayquaza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That is indeed a great news, I've been waiting for this undub for a long time! I started the game in japanese just the other day to fool around and kill time, perfect timing lol.

and also the remaining battle voices still in english
Sorry, can I ask you something? In the JAP version the characters don't speak in a fight, so what do you mean with that?

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That is indeed a great news, I've been waiting for this undub for a long time! I started the game in japanese just the other day to fool around and kill time, perfect timing lol.

Sorry, can I ask you something? In the JAP version the characters don't speak in a fight, so what do you mean with that?

They don't speak but there are some voices for cries/screams or such things in the game files. Not sure if it's in the battles though, I never really paid attention to that but if it's not in the battle, those sounds are probably used in some cutscenes.

Do they talk in the english version? I don't think so (except maybe some cries/screams).

Because in the japanese files, there are such things :

battle_voice_100_00_a.dspadpcm
battle_voice_100_00_b.dspadpcm
battle_voice_110_00_a.dspadpcm

and in the english files :

battle_voice_100_00.dspadpcm
battle_voice_100_00_version2.dspadpcm
battle_voice_100_00_version3.dspadpcm

etc...

Last edited by davhuit,
Reactions: NaRayquaza

NaRayquaza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mmh, maybe I've figured out what those files are. When you press A on the second option in the battle menù you can make a strange pose and some enemies will run. I heard Yangus voice when I did that. Hero doesn't talk. Still haven't tried with Jessica but I'm sure she will say something as well.

Last edited by NaRayquaza,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That is cool.

Do game 3ds and cia will use same saved data or not?

I don't think so, but you can probably convert the save.

Because from what I remember, .3DS files store their savedata on the root of the Gateway Red Cart as a .sav file. .CIA files store their savedate in the 3DS SD Card, exactly like a legit eshop game.

Reactions: console

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I appreciate the work you are doing, I am quite possibly part of the 1% that is not ashamed of our country's voice actors, meaning I prefer english voices to Japanese. If only there was a way to have it uncensored and given the orchestral music, but leaving the english voices intact.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I appreciate the work you are doing, I am quite possibly part of the 1% that is not ashamed of our country's voice actors, meaning I prefer english voices to Japanese. If only there was a way to have it uncensored and given the orchestral music, but leaving the english voices intact.
*cough* that iso site *cough*

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As I already said, here, it's all or nothing, find another build where you know.

Reactions: NaRayquaza

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
If I want to apply this path using luma romfs patching, do I simpy download the file pack release, unpack the romfs and put the files and folders into luma/titles/######/ ?

EDIT: Tried to do this with the HANS files, It works but the loading time is horrible and the game became very laggy, I try to either patch it with HANS instead or dump and pre-patch the game.

Last edited by CrimzonEyed,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Such version can easily be found on the web. I have nothing against english voices but as it's not my native language, either english or japanese are foreign languages for me and so, I prefer to keep the original 3DS voices (japanese ones).

If I want to apply this path using luma romfs patching, do I simpy download the file pack release, unpack the romfs and put the files and folders into luma/titles/######/ ?

EDIT: Tried to do this with the HANS files, It works but the loading time is horrible and the game became very laggy, I try to either patch it with HANS instead or dump and pre-patch the game.

Yeah, that's the problem with HANS. If there are a lot of files, it impact the gameplay. I just created a HANS patch to offer all possibilities, but HANS patchs is not something really enjoyable, except for few small files modifications.

Last edited by davhuit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr