Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by nitr8, Nov 19, 2014.
I downloaded the latest version. where do I place the src folder?
You should be banned from this board for all these silly (also private) questions.
I'm not trying to be silly! I legitimately want to know where I place this folder! Was that a stupid question to ask? If so, I'm sorry! I'm new to this stuff! And all I want to know is how to get everything up and running whenever I download a new version of WiiDOOM. And I'm sorry for those private messages. I didn't know how to delete a post, so I just put never mind. sorry about that too.
I was being serious when I was talking about the folder. for example, in the src folder, it said that it added the Backpack item to the items option under cheats. I downloaded the recent wiiDOOM, and I checked that to see if it updated like the SRC folder said, but it didn't. nothing did. which is why i'm asking where to place it to get it to add the new updates.
That's what i'm trying to find out as well. Maybe we just have to wait for Nitr8 to update the WiiDOOM folder itself? At least that's my theory on the situation.
I downloaded your recent updated PSPDOOM.WAD, and tried loading it with all of the DOOM IWADs, but it says "WRONG RESOURCE PWAD FILE! PLEASE COPY THE PSPDOOM.WAD THAT CAME WITH THIS RELEASE INTO THE GAME DIRECTORY! QUITTING NOW...". What do I do about that? it have the recent PSPDOOM.WAD in the WiiDOOM folder but it gives me this message each time.
I just wanted to ask you nitr8, how do you rate Prboom for Retroarch Wii? Is it better than Wii-doom or are they basically the same thing?
Just wait for my next release: will be more improved.
nitr8 is being humble so let me answer for him. This is MUCH better! PrBOOM has funky controls and lacks support for many of the games that nitr8's port caters to.
If the Wii could pull off PrBOOM Plus though, now that would be another question.
Hows the progress coming along nitr8? Great work so far
Good for now. Still implementing new features and testing. Though, I can't do anything similar like OpenGL support. But currently, I included the following:
- uncapped framerate (from Crispy DOOM)
- two new screen wipe types (crossfade and burn) / (from DOOM Legacy / ZDOOM)
- take screenshots (PNG or PCX format)
- translucency (from Crispy DOOM)
- add OPL3 support (music)
- add Timidity support (music)
- add PC speaker support (sound)
- playback for up to 16 sound channels
- switch between left / right sound output
- add sound pitch from v1.1
- add hall of mirrors detector (from SMMU)
- replace missing textures (don't crash the game) / (from SMMU)
- automap overlay (from Crispy DOOM)
- automap author's (but not for PWAD) / (from DOOMretro)
- weapon recoil (Y-axis) / (from Strife Veteran Edition)
- player thrust when firing guns (Z-axis) / (from DOOMretro)
- respawn monsters (from ZDOOM)
- fast monsters (from ZDOOM)
- no monsters (from ZDOOM)
- new fullscreen hud (from DOOMretro)
- foot clipping inside liquids (from Heretic)
- liquid splashes (from Heretic)
- footsteps (uses sounds from QUAKE 2)
- swirling liquids (from SMMU)
- animated liquid sectors (from DOOMretro)
- emulated Pre-Release Beta mode (with sprites)
- flip corpses and guns randomly upon killing monsters
- show "secret revealed" message (from Crispy DOOM)
- rocket trails (from DOOMretro)
- variable chaingun firing speed
- falling damage (from ZDOOM)
- infinite ammo (from ZDOOM)
- more blood and gore (from Strife Veteran Edition)
- variable gore amount
- colored blood for Cacodemons, Baron's of Hell, Hell Knight's (from Crispy DOOM)
- fix colored blood for Spectres ("invisible" blood) and Lost-Souls (bleed puffs) / (from Crispy DOOM)
- monsters can telefrag on map 30 (from PrBoom+)
- monsters can get stuck on doortracks (from PrBoom+)
- Arch-Vile can resurrect ghosts (from PrBoom+)
- remove Pain-Elemental's Lost-Soul limit (from PrBoom+)
- blazing doors don't do doubled closing sound (from PrBoom+)
- God mode isn't absolute (from PrBoom+)
- use DOOM's floor motion behavior (from PrBoom+)
- use DOOM's clipping mode (from PrBoom+)
- use DOOM's linedef trigger model (from PrBoom+)
- pre-Ultimate boss death (from PrBoom+)
- Lost-Souls can bounce off flats (from PrBoom+)
- two-sided middle textures don't animate (from PrBoom+)
- retain quirks in DOOM sound code (from PrBoom+)
- use DOOM's buggy ouch face (from PrBoom+)
- add flying possibility (from Heretic)
- removed limits for VISPLANES, PLATS, VISSPRITES, ANIMS and a few more (will prevent crashing in most cases)
- completely new game console (no input, only scrolling) / (from DOOMretro)
- shade menu background (from Crispy DOOM)
- draw menu more efficient (no more menu sprites)
- demo playback progress bar (from Crispy DOOM)
...and maybe some more features like demo recording, as well as alternative memory handling and memory statistics from BOOM. But those are and will most likely be available for debug mode only. There also is a sixth "options" setting which isn't visible for my public releases but it is during development: "Debug Settings". It's not useful during normal gameplay.
Updated my previous post, but no download yet.
Need more testing...
So... you are not merely porting DOOM and it's children, but are in essence, hand picking from a number of other source ports, and creating your own unique DOOM Engine for the Wii and vWii? You want to encourage development don't you?
My ports for the Wii are real ports of Chocolate DOOM, which is designed and created for PC and MAC.
I just added more features from other ports of DOOM as well.
Well... you're making custom development sound really tempting to me. I'm liking these new additions and can't wait to toy around with it all after the next release.
Great job, nitr8!
Would be nice to see something like Wii-DOOM64.
The source code of Doom64EX by Kaiser is released online on GitHub. I definitely don't have that much time like I had before my son was born. So, someone else would have to do that. I'm only working on those ports which I already made for the Wii. Wii-DOOM still needs a few tests. The main problem is that the game sometimes crashes when playing the game through a complete episode in a row upon the last map (doesn't always happen) or it just (when using OPL music) stops playing music for that map (which also doesn't always happen). So I think it's memory related and I don't have any experience with memory allocation...
All in the end I can say is that I definitely have much less time since June than I had before. Any updates will take longer but the next one for Wii-DOOM is a big one (see my previous list of new features).
Compared with that list, there are these additional features:
- change menu opening background style to blur or fade
- console timestamp for player messages
- shadowed background for menu points
- shadows for monsters and items
- extend lightning from 16 to 32 levels
- smoother weapon bobbing
- light up blood slightly
- darken sprites slightly
- "animate" dropped items from killed monsters in y-axis
- drop off monsters hanging over ledges
- ability to fix sprite offsets
- draw fuzz effect translucently if using translucency
What I still would like to see is a "InGame WAD loader". A first test showed me that this is possible. But the menu implementation for reading the file system is not that easy. I also would like to do a "Credits" menu for all those whose work I used for this port of the Wii.
Congrats on your new son!
Wii-DOOM goes Linux!
Have a quick peek right here: