Gaming RE: Mercenaries Doesn't Support Save resetting

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
The pre-owned market is good for games. It's not as simple as the developer simply getting nothing. Most people trade in games against another game, usually brand new. Developer still gets the money from that, right?
tongue.gif

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
muckers said:
The pre-owned market is good for games. It's not as simple as the developer simply getting nothing. Most people trade in games against another game, usually brand new. Developer still gets the money from that, right?
tongue.gif
i do beleive but a few posts ago i said that exact thing, as i traded in ssiv for 29$ and used it to pay for the rest of my oot3d, putting total sale price of oot3d at 17$

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
BAWWWWWWWWW!

Seriously, is it THAT big of a deal? I mean, I could see if you were buying it used, but still.

I mean, come on, at least it has Wi-Fi. I, and I'm sure many others were expecting it not to. I'm pretty excited for it TBH. Sadly, I have to wait until Friday to pick it up.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to sort of agree with Blaze. If you wan't the full benifits of the game buy it new. If you want to save the money then that is your decision in knowing you might not get the full value of what you are paying for. You don't have to buy it used if you don't want to, it is all about how you wan't to spend your money. 2nd hand stuff is 2nd hand stuff. You get what you pay for.

SacredG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't corrupting the save file on purpose by ejecting the cart while saving allow you to start fresh? Surely it wont be a bricked cart afterwards? It seems super monkey ball 3d has this same save drm that the sAve can't be deleted, maybe someone here can test it. Is there an alternative tosolving this problem?

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
I don't see me trading in my copy of the game when it arrives (which hopefully will be soon if ShopTo.net doesn't mind breaking street dates
tongue.gif
) so I don't really see an issue. Why would you want to reset your save data? It's not like the game has a plot for you to want to experience all over again. The whole point of the game is to beat your high score, so all you'd get from resetting your save is having to unlock a few things again for no good reason and having a lower target score to beat. Why is that a loss? Even if I did trade mine in, once I have the cash/exchange value then I don't much care if the next person can't start their own file, that's their problem.

I'm sorry, but your reasoning here is absolutely ridiculous.

Especially...

QUOTEEven if I did trade mine in, once I have the cash/exchange value then I don't much care if the next person can't start their own file, that's their problem.

lolwut?

Sure you might be getting it brand new, but a lot of people out there rely on the 2nd hand market. It's a loss because sometimes people want to just start things over in a video game? It's like buying Pokemon, and finding out you can NEVER go back on what you do or delete your save. It just defeats the concept of replay value for one thing, and its a really greedy, corporate choice to make.

ALSO it's interesting to see what some people think of 2nd hand products and the market as a whole. Someone even said 'you pay for what you get' That's ridiculous, we're buying games not cars! xD

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SacredG said:
Wouldn't corrupting the save file on purpose by ejecting the cart while saving allow you to start fresh? Surely it wont be a bricked cart afterwards? It seems super monkey ball 3d has this same save drm that the sAve can't be deleted, maybe someone here can test it. Is there an alternative tosolving this problem?

It could have alternating save slots like the Pokemon games, where if something did go wrong when saving, it'll resort to the last successful save you had.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Jan1tor said:
I have to sort of agree with Blaze. If you wan't the full benifits of the game buy it new. If you want to save the money then that is your decision in knowing you might not get the full value of what you are paying for. You don't have to buy it used if you don't want to, it is all about how you wan't to spend your money. 2nd hand stuff is 2nd hand stuff. You get what you pay for.

What you guys are saying is BS; I think I should have the right to play through the game a second time at least if I want to. EVEN IF I buy it new, why should I be restricted to only playing the game once? I replay ALL of my games I get, I think replay value is one of the most important factors. Have fun with the game, if you insist you can.
tongue.gif

hendrix5757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like Capcom is insecure about releasing a minigame at full retail price. They know exactly what they're putting out, and they know that consumers will eventually realize how shallow the game is and get bored. So, they felt they had to find a way to keep this game out of the used market.

D

Deleted User

@hendrix5757 Don't forget that Capcom is the one that's forcing you to be online when playing some games bought from PSN, so they're not new to ridiculous DRM.

Guild McCommunist said:
Takeshi said:
I didn't assume you (or anyone else) is made of money, not even that you can justify spending your hard earned money on a game. I was merely asking if he really didn't know the difference. None of this was meant as an insult. Also, just for the record, I never said that I buy all my games at full price either.

I know the difference, but in the end, I want to support my wallet.

If Capcom wants to benefit from used game sales, do DLC. It's one of the few ways companies are still making major bucks off used games. Used copies mean more circulation of a game and more DLC sold.

EDIT: For the record I'm 18 and while I do work, it's rather inconsistent (and it's only $8/hr and I only get a few hours a month). I want the most bang for my buck, and used games usually do that.
I can understand that and that's the reason why I mostly wait some time for the price to drop. Only two (maybe three) of my 28 XBox360 games were bought at full price. Most of the time I don't have enough time to play all the games I want to play anyway, so waiting a bit doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong though, I don't want you (or anyone else) to stop buying your games second hand, but I won't. Another reason is that the Gamestops in my area want you to pay more for a used 360 game than I'm paying when buying it new in the UK.

@NiGHtS No hard feelings.
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
I can understand that and that's the reason why I mostly wait some time for the price to drop. Only two (maybe three) of my 28 XBox360 games were bought at full price. Most of the time I don't have enough time to play all the games I want to play anyway, so waiting a bit doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong though, I don't want you (or anyone else) to stop buying your games second hand, but I won't. Another reason is that the Gamestops in my area want you to pay more for a used 360 game than I'm paying when buying it new in the UK.

But who cares about a price drop if the used copy is still cheaper?

Let's take The Orange Box for example. It's a pretty cheap title that's been highly popular. It's about $20 new. A used copy, however, is about $10. That's like half the price. And with the other $10 I can buy another cheap used game. That's usually my state of mind here.

When it comes to getting more bang for my buck and "supporting devs", I'll go with the bang for my buck. And it's not like Capcom is some indie dev whose all about making games for gamers. They want to make a sizable profit and yes, they do whore out their franchises (try to count how many versions there are of Street Fighter II on one hand). Regardless, Capcom will continue to make Resident Evil games and will continue to make a Mercenaries mode. They have sold games well for years, used games aren't gonna send them under. But like most any company, they're greedy, and want to make more profits than the game store which feeds them by distributing their product.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Guild McCommunist said:
When it comes to getting more bang for my buck and "supporting devs", I'll go with the bang for my buck. And it's not like Capcom is some indie dev whose all about making games for gamers. They want to make a sizable profit and yes, they do whore out their franchises (try to count how many versions there are of Street Fighter II on one hand). Regardless, Capcom will continue to make Resident Evil games and will continue to make a Mercenaries mode. They have sold games well for years, used games aren't gonna send them under. But like most any company, they're greedy, and want to make more profits than the game store which feeds them by distributing their product.

I'd go with supporting devs/publisher. There are too many games that didn't get a localization due to low sales. If everyone is thinking like u in this case, there's no wondering why games don't get a localization.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm buying the game new, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's rare that I'd actually go back and play a title from absolute square one, and it's yet to happen with any game that's not story driven. So it doesn't bother me at all. I can see how it would bother some, though.

Though, this means that the title is pretty useless to those who want to start from the very beginning when rented from Gamefly. That sucks.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
I'd go with supporting devs/publisher. There are too many games that didn't get a localization due to low sales. If everyone is thinking like u in this case, there's no wondering why games don't get a localization.

Yeah, if it's some obscure Japanese game that never had a hold in America. When it's Resident Evil, it's a completely different story. It's not Capcom fighting some evil of the gaming industry, it's them wanting to get money and caring more about their own profits than delivering gamers games.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'll repost this:

QUOTE said:
No, this is not going to be an AMA. I've decided to briefly come out of my perpetual lurking state because lately there has been some outrage in /gaming/ regarding DLC, DRM, and numerous other decisions gaming companies have made.

And no, I'm not going to reveal who I am, because I'm not going to be a popular person by the time this thread is done with.

I'm going to get this out of the way right now.

DRM exists because people pirate games. I'm sorry if that answer upsets you or in turn causes you to pirate more games, but that's the way it is. As developers, we would rather DRM didn't exist because it's an extra hurdle to get through before a game can be released. I've spoken to others in the industry, and it's a foregone conclusion that we are moving towards a cloud based system where very little of the game will reside on your hard drive. Retail stores used to fight this idea, but with how PC game sales are trending towards digital distribution, it's really not a question of if but when.

The only reason why you see certain members of the industry speak out in favor of piracy, is they are trying to gain popularity and encourage you to buy their game. It's the same reason why musicians do it, and the same reason why certain actors/actresses defend their work being downloaded illegally.
Now that I have most of you frothing at the mouth.. onto DLC.

You are correct in assuming that most DLC is created before the game is finished. More often than not, we are approached 50-60 percent into the development cycle of a game and asked how we want to handle content post production. This has become more and more common the last five-six years, and it is a direct result of several evolving changes in the industry.

To be blunt, you can blame Gamestop and other retail stores that encourage buying used games more than new ones. Someone is less likely to sell back their title if they know more content is on the way, and with the fact that some games now can be finished in a day playing time, we have to move fast with DLC announcements.

Yes, you are caught in a bit of a war between distributors and publishers. I'm sorry.
Pre-Order bonuses have been ramping up in popularity because they work rather well.
Which sorts of leads me to my final diatribe.

DLC promises and Pre Order bonuses increase sales. Again, I'm sorry if those facts upset you, but we aren't an industry of upholding some false ethical code. Over the last several years, the consumer has eaten up both of these business practices and shown us that we can and will benefit from using them.
Do I think what EA is doing is bullshit? Yes, I do. Are they getting away with it? Yes, they are. I admire what Reddit is doing with the boycott, but please keep in mind that /gaming/ does not represent the majority of gamers. There are people who, upon hearing of the Pre-Order bonus, immediately signed up for it.

My advice to /gaming/ before I leave
- Digitally Download your games. The sooner retail stores are mostly out of the equation, the sooner some of these aspects of the industry might dissipate.

- Stop pirating. Seriously though, stop. If you don't think that there is a correlation between DRM and piracy numbers, then you are not doing it right. If you are going to pirate, then please buy the games you do download.
- The best advice I can give. Follow through with your boycott. Follow through with every boycott. Companies can ignore verbal insults, but they cannot ignore explaining to the shareholders why profits are down. If a boycott works, then it is quite effective. Key word is IF.

A.D. out -

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Guild McCommunist said:
WiiBricker said:

Yeah, if it's some obscure Japanese game that never had a hold in America. When it's Resident Evil, it's a completely different story. It's not Capcom fighting some evil of the gaming industry, it's them wanting to get money and caring more about their own profits than delivering gamers games.

Lets say you are a fan of visual novels/graphical adventures and Capcom makes a North American localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2. Would you buy a new copy for $40 or a used one for $20?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not the only ones trying to discourage used sales. A hand full of EA games come with a code now that can't be reused. W/o the code no online play or online features. To get a new copy of the code you have to pay 10 dollars for it from the PSN store or XBliveMarket Place. This means if you bought a used game merely 5 dollars cheaper than the new price (i have seen used games with that small of a discount), your really paying an extra 5 dollars if you want to play online.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Lets say you are a fan of visual novels/graphical adventures and Capcom makes a North American localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2. Would you buy a new copy for $40 or a used one for $20?

Well, it's kinda hard for me to put myself into those shoes since I have no interest or liking towards adventure games (in particular Ace Attorney) but I'd probably buy used. I'm never really that obsessed with any particular genre or game that I'd get all hot and bothered about a lack of a localization. If a successor gets localized, that's awesome. If not, tough tits, I have to live with my own consequences of not buying a new copy. In the end I still saved $20 to buy more games that'll keep me busy in space of an unlocalized sequel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto