Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
I'll repost this:

QUOTE said:
No, this is not going to be an AMA. I've decided to briefly come out of my perpetual lurking state because lately there has been some outrage in /gaming/ regarding DLC, DRM, and numerous other decisions gaming companies have made.

And no, I'm not going to reveal who I am, because I'm not going to be a popular person by the time this thread is done with.

I'm going to get this out of the way right now.

DRM exists because people pirate games. I'm sorry if that answer upsets you or in turn causes you to pirate more games, but that's the way it is. As developers, we would rather DRM didn't exist because it's an extra hurdle to get through before a game can be released. I've spoken to others in the industry, and it's a foregone conclusion that we are moving towards a cloud based system where very little of the game will reside on your hard drive. Retail stores used to fight this idea, but with how PC game sales are trending towards digital distribution, it's really not a question of if but when.

The only reason why you see certain members of the industry speak out in favor of piracy, is they are trying to gain popularity and encourage you to buy their game. It's the same reason why musicians do it, and the same reason why certain actors/actresses defend their work being downloaded illegally.
Now that I have most of you frothing at the mouth.. onto DLC.

You are correct in assuming that most DLC is created before the game is finished. More often than not, we are approached 50-60 percent into the development cycle of a game and asked how we want to handle content post production. This has become more and more common the last five-six years, and it is a direct result of several evolving changes in the industry.

To be blunt, you can blame Gamestop and other retail stores that encourage buying used games more than new ones. Someone is less likely to sell back their title if they know more content is on the way, and with the fact that some games now can be finished in a day playing time, we have to move fast with DLC announcements.

Yes, you are caught in a bit of a war between distributors and publishers. I'm sorry.
Pre-Order bonuses have been ramping up in popularity because they work rather well.
Which sorts of leads me to my final diatribe.

DLC promises and Pre Order bonuses increase sales. Again, I'm sorry if those facts upset you, but we aren't an industry of upholding some false ethical code. Over the last several years, the consumer has eaten up both of these business practices and shown us that we can and will benefit from using them.
Do I think what EA is doing is bullshit? Yes, I do. Are they getting away with it? Yes, they are. I admire what Reddit is doing with the boycott, but please keep in mind that /gaming/ does not represent the majority of gamers. There are people who, upon hearing of the Pre-Order bonus, immediately signed up for it.

My advice to /gaming/ before I leave
- Digitally Download your games. The sooner retail stores are mostly out of the equation, the sooner some of these aspects of the industry might dissipate.

- Stop pirating. Seriously though, stop. If you don't think that there is a correlation between DRM and piracy numbers, then you are not doing it right. If you are going to pirate, then please buy the games you do download.
- The best advice I can give. Follow through with your boycott. Follow through with every boycott. Companies can ignore verbal insults, but they cannot ignore explaining to the shareholders why profits are down. If a boycott works, then it is quite effective. Key word is IF.

A.D. out -
QUOTE said:
Sorry, this mean what now?

WiiBricker said:
Guild McCommunist said:
QUOTE(WiiBricker @ Jun 28 2011, 01:25 AM)
I'd go with supporting devs/publisher. There are too many games that didn't get a localization due to low sales. If everyone is thinking like u in this case, there's no wondering why games don't get a localization.

Yeah, if it's some obscure Japanese game that never had a hold in America. When it's Resident Evil, it's a completely different story. It's not Capcom fighting some evil of the gaming industry, it's them wanting to get money and caring more about their own profits than delivering gamers games.

Lets say you are a fan of visual novels/graphical adventures and Capcom makes a North American localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2. Would you buy a new copy for $40 or a used one for $20?
Well for me depending on the money and if they tried this no reset thing again or some other crazy thing which then I may not buy at all.

Yu-Gi-Oh 100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at first i didn't understand what this was about until a while ago. What the hell why would you take the ability to delete a file from something that's been around for over 20 years just to try to save money? People will still buy the game used it they really want it regardless, and might actually make them lose money if anything. This is the kind of crap that encourages hackers to do what they do, and the 3ds will be hacked very soon to show them the errors of their ways

P.s These greedy bastards will never get anymore money then they deserve, and they think they will ever get anymore money from a used product they are dead wrong.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
Feels Good Man said:
I'll repost this:

QUOTE said:
No, this is not going to be an AMA. I've decided to briefly come out of my perpetual lurking state because lately there has been some outrage in /gaming/ regarding DLC, DRM, and numerous other decisions gaming companies have made.

And no, I'm not going to reveal who I am, because I'm not going to be a popular person by the time this thread is done with.

I'm going to get this out of the way right now.

DRM exists because people pirate games. I'm sorry if that answer upsets you or in turn causes you to pirate more games, but that's the way it is. As developers, we would rather DRM didn't exist because it's an extra hurdle to get through before a game can be released. I've spoken to others in the industry, and it's a foregone conclusion that we are moving towards a cloud based system where very little of the game will reside on your hard drive. Retail stores used to fight this idea, but with how PC game sales are trending towards digital distribution, it's really not a question of if but when.

The only reason why you see certain members of the industry speak out in favor of piracy, is they are trying to gain popularity and encourage you to buy their game. It's the same reason why musicians do it, and the same reason why certain actors/actresses defend their work being downloaded illegally.
Now that I have most of you frothing at the mouth.. onto DLC.

You are correct in assuming that most DLC is created before the game is finished. More often than not, we are approached 50-60 percent into the development cycle of a game and asked how we want to handle content post production. This has become more and more common the last five-six years, and it is a direct result of several evolving changes in the industry.

To be blunt, you can blame Gamestop and other retail stores that encourage buying used games more than new ones. Someone is less likely to sell back their title if they know more content is on the way, and with the fact that some games now can be finished in a day playing time, we have to move fast with DLC announcements.

Yes, you are caught in a bit of a war between distributors and publishers. I'm sorry.
Pre-Order bonuses have been ramping up in popularity because they work rather well.
Which sorts of leads me to my final diatribe.

DLC promises and Pre Order bonuses increase sales. Again, I'm sorry if those facts upset you, but we aren't an industry of upholding some false ethical code. Over the last several years, the consumer has eaten up both of these business practices and shown us that we can and will benefit from using them.
Do I think what EA is doing is bullshit? Yes, I do. Are they getting away with it? Yes, they are. I admire what Reddit is doing with the boycott, but please keep in mind that /gaming/ does not represent the majority of gamers. There are people who, upon hearing of the Pre-Order bonus, immediately signed up for it.

My advice to /gaming/ before I leave
- Digitally Download your games. The sooner retail stores are mostly out of the equation, the sooner some of these aspects of the industry might dissipate.

- Stop pirating. Seriously though, stop. If you don't think that there is a correlation between DRM and piracy numbers, then you are not doing it right. If you are going to pirate, then please buy the games you do download.
- The best advice I can give. Follow through with your boycott. Follow through with every boycott. Companies can ignore verbal insults, but they cannot ignore explaining to the shareholders why profits are down. If a boycott works, then it is quite effective. Key word is IF.

A.D. out -
QUOTE said:
Sorry, this mean what now?

Well, they're arguing about supporting the developer and supporting second hand sales.

"You are correct in assuming that most DLC is created before the game is finished. More often than not, we are approached 50-60 percent into the development cycle of a game and asked how we want to handle content post production. This has become more and more common the last five-six years, and it is a direct result of several evolving changes in the industry.

Pre-Order bonuses have been ramping up in popularity because they work rather well."

That part states how far game companies are willing to go and get more sales from stores that sell used games because used game sales are killing the industry. There are also other articles where game companies speak out and say how much second hand sales effect their sales and it seems to be really significant. More so than piracy.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if there was no second hand store, there would still be second hand ebay . since their is a second hand store(gamestop) that i can re-sell my game to and buy .....key word here....BUY another... where does anyone see a fault...????? either you grab your pistolas and rise up and take down our free market, or you turn political accept that we live in a free market, and try to ban the sales of used games, deeming them harmful to the larger corps. any other flame to a store that does actual buisiness, and helps economy should stop as you dont realize what your mad at.. take a chill pill.

DERP

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So what happens if you use the NDS Adapter Plus to inject a saved game that is just a bunch of zeros? Does it reset the save data or just make the game refuse to start up?

Walkin

travel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Though, this means that the title is pretty useless to those who want to start from the very beginning when rented from Gamefly. That sucks.

That won't be a problem since Gamefly won't rent this game now.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
running errands now.. picking up mercenaries tht i pre-ordered at gamestop. i will report back here when i get back if someone hasent beaten me to it.

D

Deleted User

According to a Capcom spokesman this has nothing to do with used game sales.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE said:
"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," a spokesman told Kotaku. "The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users. Second-hand game sales were not a factor in this development decision, so we hope that all our consumers will be able to enjoy the entirety of the survival-action experiences that the game does offer."
source

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
This thread is tl;dr it all. But, it should be EASILY possible to hack the gamecart to be able to reset the savegame and start a new game. First off, as crediar has said, when he tried extracting a savegame, hex editing it a little, and then putting it back on the cart, the game would refuse to use it because the hash did not match the data. So in that case, just extract the savegame, mess with it a little, and then put it back on.

Another way, since the save games are stored on an eeprom, you could just ground the data lines that lead to the eeprom and then the 3DS won't be able to read them and then it will just want to start a new game. You could even just put a small piece of paper over the data line the goes to the epprom, put the cart in and start the game, then before you save it just pull the piece of paper out (obviously you would make the piece of paper long enough so it would hang out out of the slot so you could pull it out while the game cart is in the slot).

Another way, wait until the game is saving your progress and eject the cart. The data will be corrupt because it was only half way written, and on the next time of starting the game it should clear out that data.

There's got to be a hundred ways around this, but of course this is all just speculation with the way that the save games have worked in the past, the hardware design of the carts, and general knowledge that other sceners have gathered. I'd love to try this myself, but I sold my 3DS.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
This thread is tl;dr it all. But, it should be EASILY possible to hack the gamecart to be able to reset the savegame and start a new game. First off, as crediar has said, when he tried extracting a savegame, hex editing it a little, and then putting it back on the cart, the game would refuse to use it because the hash did not match the data. So in that case, just extract the savegame, mess with it a little, and then put it back on.

Another way, since the save games are stored on an eeprom, you could just ground the data lines that lead to the eeprom and then the 3DS won't be able to read them and then it will just want to start a new game. You could even just put a small piece of paper over the data line the goes to the epprom, put the cart in and start the game, then before you save it just pull the piece of paper out (obviously you would make the piece of paper long enough so it would hang out out of the slot so you could pull it out while the game cart is in the slot).

Another way, wait until the game is saving your progress and eject the cart. The data will be corrupt because it was only half way written, and on the next time of starting the game it should clear out that data.

There's got to be a hundred ways around this, but of course this is all just speculation with the way that the save games have worked in the past, the hardware design of the carts, and general knowledge that other sceners have gathered. I'd love to try this myself, but I sold my 3DS.

Pulling the cart won't work as it uses the double save system that Pokemon used, so it will just revert to the backup save file. It is also possible that deliberately corrupting the save data might just cause the game not to boot, rather than erasing the save file. I did find something on 3dbrew that might be helpful though. Specifically, "When a save EEPROM contains all xFFFF blocks it's assumed uninitialized by the game cartridges and it initializes default data in place, without prompting the user." Assuming RE doesn't do anything special (like ship with a different pattern) then it should be easy to upload a save file that is all 0xff's. To be sure, someone would have to dump and post the save file of a brand new (never been played or even inserted in a 3DS) cart straight from the packaging.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Walkin said:
Windaga said:
Though, this means that the title is pretty useless to those who want to start from the very beginning when rented from Gamefly. That sucks.

That won't be a problem since Gamefly won't rent this game now.
They were renting it for a while. I got lucky.

G-fly email:
game.PNG

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
DeadlyFoez said:

Pulling the cart won't work as it uses the double save system that Pokemon used, so it will just revert to the backup save file. It is also possible that deliberately corrupting the save data might just cause the game not to boot, rather than erasing the save file. I did find something on 3dbrew that might be helpful though. Specifically, "When a save EEPROM contains all xFFFF blocks it's assumed uninitialized by the game cartridges and it initializes default data in place, without prompting the user." Assuming RE doesn't do anything special (like ship with a different pattern) then it should be easy to upload a save file that is all 0xff's. To be sure, someone would have to dump and post the save file of a brand new (never been played or even inserted in a 3DS) cart straight from the packaging.

I wish someone would do this. I didn't have time to get a cart dumper. Anyone have recommendations for which dumper to get?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DeadlyFoez said:

I wish someone would do this. I didn't have time to get a cart dumper. Anyone have recommendations for which dumper to get?

I have the NDS Adapter Plus which has 3DS save support now. I haven't tried it with 3DS games (just Pokemon Soulsilver, which is why I got it) but it should work. It seems like the 0xff trick (a save file of all 0xff's, no need to mess with encryption) would be the safest (as opposed to random corruption), but you should still keep a backup of your original save just in case.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DeadlyFoez said:

I have the NDS Adapter Plus which has 3DS save support now. I haven't tried it with 3DS games (just Pokemon Soulsilver, which is why I got it) but it should work. It seems like the 0xff trick (a save file of all 0xff's, no need to mess with encryption) would be the safest (as opposed to random corruption), but you should still keep a backup of your original save just in case.

Man if you could dump the save I'd really appreciate it. But I understand if your not interested in getting the game.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DeadlyFoez said:

Man if you could dump the save I'd really appreciate it. But I understand if your not interested in getting the game.

I don't have the game and don't plan on getting it unless it is available used for fairly cheap, sorry.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
nl255 said:
DeadlyFoez said:

I don't have the game and don't plan on getting it unless it is available used for fairly cheap, sorry.

its okay, if you know anyone who's getting it would be a great favor. But if not that's okay.

Yu-Gi-Oh 100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a easy way around this, and when flash cards start supporting roms all you need to do is load another rom of thew same game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you