Hacking Random11's Credit Card Sized amiibo cards

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How should we print these?
You can use GIMP if you don't have some other program that understands a picture's DPI. At 300 DPI, the picture prints so the size of the card falls inside the white crop marks. This is a credit card tag with the printed picture on top of it. You can thank my gamepad for the backlight.
CCardBehindLink.jpg

gregtech123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use GIMP if you don't have some other program that understands a picture's DPI. At 300 DPI, the picture prints so the size of the card falls inside the white crop marks. This is a credit card tag with the printed picture on top of it. You can thank my gamepad for the backlight.
View attachment 82988

I am downloading GIMP now. Any tips on how to play with the images to make them the right size? I am new to photo sizing/editing.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am downloading GIMP now. Any tips on how to play with the images to make them the right size? I am new to photo sizing/editing.
I don't know what you mean by "right size". It's already the size that Random11 created. GIMP understands that the picture is 756x1128, and that it should print it at 300dpi. 300 goes into 756 about 2.5 times, so you're going to get a print that's about 2.5" wide if you leave the dpi setting at 300. If you wanted a little less bleed (border that gets cut off), you could slightly increase the dpi on the Image Settings tab of the print dialog, but then you'd see the crop marks on your print.

gregtech123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know what you mean by "right size". It's already the size that Random11 created. GIMP understands that the picture is 756x1128, and that it should print it at 300dpi. 300 goes into 756 about 2.5 times, so you're going to get a print that's about 2.5" wide if you leave the dpi setting at 300. If you wanted a little less bleed (border that gets cut off), you could slightly increase the dpi on the Image Settings tab of the print dialog, but then you'd see the crop marks on your print.

Yeah I saw that as soon as i pasted the image in! was very happy to see that lol

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I saw that as soon as i pasted the image in! was very happy to see that lol
I posted about this in the my other thread but all you need is windows paint. Gimp works too though and is multi platform.

In case you are interested, to print these in paint at the right size just open the image, go to print settings and click "adjust to 100%" instead of "fit to page". Paint understands that the image is 300 dpi. Gimp is probably easier to use though if you want to add multiple cards to a single page.

Last edited by Random11,
Reactions: gregtech123

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of printing these out on glossy paper, good professional printing, kinkos or staples or something. Fit about 6 cards on a page. Cut them out and laminate them. The nfc tag sandwiched between the front and back of each card.

Ideally, it would have 6 cards 3 fronts, 3 backs which I can fold over and cut, sandwich the nfc tag, laminate. I'm going to try and find some layouts that fit what I need.

I'm linking to some samples of images. I was looking up on how to do this before and I came across them, not sure who to credit for it. Sorry. These images are meant to print out on full size (letter) paper and cut out separately. I was thinking of having a landscape layout and printing the backing image on the top/bottom so they can be folded over.

Last edited by kolosus,

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking of printing these out on glossy paper, good professional printing, kinkos or staples or something. Fit about 6 cards on a page. Cut them out and laminate them. The nfc tag sandwiched between the front and back of each card.

Ideally, it would have 6 cards 3 fronts, 3 backs which I can fold over and cut, sandwich the nfc tag, laminate. I'm going to try and find some layouts that fit what I need.

I'm linking to some samples of images. I was looking up on how to do this before and I came across them, not sure who to credit for it. Sorry. These images are meant to print out on full size (letter) paper and cut out separately. I was thinking of having a landscape layout and printing the backing image on the top/bottom so they can be folded over.

Is there a question there?

Also can everyone linking images from other sites please put them in side quote or spoiler tags so they don't take up so much space. Small images are fine but big ones are better put in side a quote/spoiler tag. Thanks.

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a question there?

Also can everyone linking images from other sites please put them in side quote or spoiler tags so they don't take up so much space. Small images are fine but big ones are better put in side a quote/spoiler tag. Thanks.
Spoiler added. Sorry about that. No question really. Other than ideas on how to make these cards and make them look (mostly) professional.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Spoiler added. Sorry about that. No question really. Other than ideas on how to make these cards and make them look (mostly) professional.

if you are using tags instead of the pvc cards do you want the credit card sized images or images that are sized the same as the official amiibo cards? (There is a link in the op to my other thread with images sized the same as the official cards... "playing card size")

Do you want it to feel like a card or feel like plastic?

You posted the images of someone else's designs, are you looking to print those or are you looking to print the cards I have made?

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I'm just looking at all the options and pictures. Once I get my NFC tags I'm probably going to make a few different designs or mix n match them to please my kids.

I found this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-Clear-Laminating-Pouches-5mm-2-3-16-x-3-11-16-100-box/19312009

It is cheap and I get a bunch of them. I want to fill the pouch out to make it look professional then laminate it to seal in the goods. The laminator and pouches costs me about $35. Then it's the nfc tags and the printing (no access to good color printer). While PVC cards sound like a great idea I'm wondering about costs. This is all going to end up in a landfill in a few months after it is made anyway.

So to answer your question. What size? IDK. The size that would best fit in the pouches. Trying to make this work with the tools at hand instead of trying to come up with a custom solution.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At this point I'm just looking at all the options and pictures. Once I get my NFC tags I'm probably going to make a few different designs or mix n match them to please my kids.

I found this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-Clear-Laminating-Pouches-5mm-2-3-16-x-3-11-16-100-box/19312009

It is cheap and I get a bunch of them. I want to fill the pouch out to make it look professional then laminate it to seal in the goods. The laminator and pouches costs me about $35. Then it's the nfc tags and the printing (no access to good color printer). While PVC cards sound like a great idea I'm wondering about costs. This is all going to end up in a landfill in a few months after it is made anyway.

So to answer your question. What size? IDK. The size that would best fit in the pouches. Trying to make this work with the tools at hand instead of trying to come up with a custom solution.

Ok. Well there you go. It sounds like you already know what you want. So I don't get why you posted but sure. Good luck.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not too sure why it's a problem that they posted. They're just sharing what they plan on doing. Doesn't sound bad.

Who said it was a problem? The only problem I had was just that they put huge images in there post without wrapping them in a quote or spoiler. Which they fixed. Other then that I don't have an issue with what they said. I am confused, but don't have an issue with it.

Last edited by Random11,

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Who said it was a problem? The only problem I had was just that they put huge images in there post with wrapping them in a quote or spoiler. Which they fixed. Other then that I don't have an issue with what they said. I am confused, but don't have an issue with it.

Low bandwith?

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Low bandwith?
Canada Cell Phone data plans suck. But its more just about screen real estate on PC browsers. Huge images fill the screen and if they take a few seconds to load can cause the screen to jump around. Especially if you are linking to a post that is below a post with huge images. GBATemp gets the position of the post before the image loads and puts the scroll bar at that position, after the image loads you are suddenly looking at a post that wasnt the one linked to you.

Last edited by Random11,

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you think you can do one with credit card layout please? The best solution since the cards are not inkjet printable would be to probably use adhesive stickers, printing on them then sticking them on. If its an exact fit, you won't need those crop marks would you?

@ganons it depends on the adhesive sticker layout. If you are printing on pre-cut stickers, then it would probably be better for you to use whatever template came with the stickers. Depending on the template you may need to digitally edit the image files and remove the bleed.

Having a bleed is always better through, if you stickers give your the room for it. Just in case the printer is a little but off you dont have to worry as much about seeing white on the edges of the stickers. Although I realize dealing with placement might be annoying.

If you have to cut the stickers out yourself from a letter size sticker then the crop marks are there to help you.

What are the stickers you are printing onto?

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haven't got stickers yet but was thinking of using an A4 sheet then use your PDF template?

Couldn't find any credit size label stickers

well I uploaded the pdf for you. It has the crop marks. They are there to help you line up your cuts they are meant to be cut off! Same place as before
https://mega.nz/#F!HYZChToK!u-5hftIk2JVwP9Oc3ge28Q

The way I would do it is to print them out on a full sheet of sticker paper. And cut out each card just a little bit smaller then the crop marks that way you are less likely to have part of the sticker overhang the card. Personally I'd rather a little bit of white around the border then have the sticker keep peeling up because you nicked it when handling it.

ALSO same instructions as when printing the playing card sized images:
make sure to print it where it doesn't scale the images. You can click on Multiple and set it to print 6 pages on a single sheet of paper. In that case each page is 1 card face. If you try and print more then 6 pages(cards) per sheet on a letter sized paper it will start scaling the cards. You could potentially use a bigger paper and get more cards but the PDF print settings dont give any way to tell at which point the pages are going to get scaled to fit on the page. From experience I know up to 6 cards can fit on 1 letter sized page without getting scaled, other paper sizes you will just have to test yourself.

Also if you want only specific cards open the pdf in an editor and delete the pages you dont want. Or just instead of printing "All" under the "Pages to Print" change it to specify the specific page numbers. If you only wanted to print the first 2 cards (link and zelda) only print pages 1-4. The cards are set up so that whatever page has the card you want the corresponding card back is the next page. All the backs are rotated 180 degrees because I found it easier for how I tape the two halves together.

With the exception that I tested it and you can print 8 credit card sized images on a single Letter sized piece of paper without it getting scaled.

Last edited by Random11,

tinfoilfork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be possible to upload the character cards, but without the character name/game logo? basically just the character card image without any words. i want to add the words myself so i could make it a larger size and probably also reposition them. mainly need this for the botw ones. you're the only one i can find with botw card images. any help with this would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by tinfoilfork,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1