Hacking PSA: The upcoming kernel exploit works on ALL firmware versions!

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how the entire point of this thread is to let people know that they can update to the latest FW. And people are still asking

How are you this dumb

And then someone claims I "started a flame war" all because I got pissed at people asking the firmware question in the Wii U Hacking Discussion thread.

I still can't believe how dumb people are though. This is a thread which clearly states the compatible firmware versions in BIG BOLD LETTERS yet people STILL ask!?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is a WiiU disc update updating the browser too?
It's not like 3DS where it updates everything except the browser and NVER?

Users who are still on old version after Nintendo releases a new version will be able to use Mario Party 10 and get access to the exploit? (possibly future titles too, not only party10).

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a WiiU disc update updating the browser too?
It's not like 3DS where it updates everything except the browser and NVER?

Users who are still on old version after Nintendo releases a new version will be able to use Mario Party 10 and get access to the exploit? (possibly future titles too, not only party10).

Yes, it'll also update the browser if it was updated in that version. You'll need emuNAND to be able to download updates or run the latest games (once it's patched, anyways).

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And then someone claims I "started a flame war" all because I got pissed at people asking the firmware question in the Wii U Hacking Discussion thread.

I still can't believe how dumb people are though. This is a thread which clearly states the compatible firmware versions in BIG BOLD LETTERS yet people STILL ask!?
I have your answer. Internet.

Also did not know about the old IOSU exploit. I'll have to look into this. :)

Kangaxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It still detects it, but it's not able to download the update, it just fails.

I blocked these URLs:

nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

Can you still play online if you block those URLs? I mean MK8 and Smash matches online...

Reactions: Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can you still play online if you block those URLs? I mean MK8 and Smash matches online...
Yes, as long as your system is up to date :P
I'm not sure if it still blocks you from online if you have the update servers blocked, I actually haven't tried playing online in a while, haven't even used the Wii U. But I'm guessing it does, since it checks update availability when connecting to the Nintendo Network servers, and disconnects if it's not up to date.

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll just wait on 4.1 if it really is needed I'll get a Wiiu game to update.
I'm interested to buy the Mewtwo dlc but good chance that they will spoof it.

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, as long as your system is up to date :P
I'm not sure if it still blocks you from online if you have the update servers blocked, I actually haven't tried playing online in a while, haven't even used the Wii U. But I'm guessing it does, since it checks update availability when connecting to the Nintendo Network servers, and disconnects if it's not up to date.

Yep, you can play while you block the NUS. (NUS = Nintendo Update Server for anyone who don't know.)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to setting up OpenDNS. For skeptics: blocking the domains listed in the Homebrew Preparation thread results in
-the inability to update when internet settings are pointed to OpenDNS' DNS server IPs
-the inability to enter the eShop (will throw a "cannot connect to server" error)
-the ability to access any app or games online content that is not directly related to either the eShop or the NUS. This includes gaming online and apps like YouTube and Netflix (probably also Google Streetview and stuff like that, but I don't have that to test)

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to setting up OpenDNS. For skeptics: blocking the domains listed in the Homebrew Preparation thread results in
-the inability to update when internet settings are pointed to OpenDNS' DNS server IPs
-the inability to enter the eShop (will throw a "cannot connect to server" error)
-the ability to access any app or games online content that is not directly related to either the eShop or the NUS. This includes gaming online and apps like YouTube and Netflix (probably also Google Streetview and stuff like that, but I don't have that to test)
Nintendo doesnt auto-update your system (or do they?..), so is there really any point in blocking updates?.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I find it easy to use a proxy to block updates too.
You don't have to edit the DNS on the console, you can disable proxy fully on your computer to block all activity or filter only some addresses.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...tes-and-play-online-with-ccproxy-easy.369720/

Is there an advantage to use DNS instead of proxy?
DNS is probably useful to edit transmitted data (ssl hijacking, URL rewriting (like custom servers, etc.)). To fully block access, a proxy is enough.

Users with a router capable of filtering URL can also add these URL directly to the blocked URLs. no proxy or DNS setup required.

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it easy to use a proxy to block updates too.
You don't have to edit the DNS on the console, you can disable proxy fully on your computer to block all activity or filter only some addresses.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...tes-and-play-online-with-ccproxy-easy.369720/

Is there an advantage to use DNS instead of proxy?
DNS is probably useful to edit transmitted data (ssl hijacking, URL rewriting (like custom servers, etc.)). To fully block access, a proxy is enough.

Users with a router capable of filtering URL can also add these URL directly to the blocked URLs. no proxy or DNS setup required.

The best way to block updates is with OpenDNS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated