PS4 gets kernel level access on FW 4.06

C8YkhwRWsAANHFy.jpg

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O
I heard it was because the read speed with discs is too low and so they basically put a copy of the stuff on the system to read from both at once

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, so is it time to update my spare PS4? It's on 1.56 fw, just waiting for exploitable goodness. Sadly, nothing ever came out for 1.76 except Linux loading.

Joona70

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Dont update your 1.56 firmware. There is maybe not public release. And you can get mod menu to gta v on 1.76

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
Dont update your 1.56 firmware. There is maybe not public release. And you can get mod menu to gta v on 1.76
You are probably right but if CTurt updated to 4.06... Well, I think it is a good reason to believe it will be released.

To those saying updating to 4.50 is worth to update because userland exploits are easier to find, that doesn't mean we will ever see one, but who knows. Maybe in a year or two? (If so), would be worth updating to 4.50 and wait for the time needed to get the exploit?

What I am trying to say is that if people have FW 4.07 (just like me), in my opinion is better to wait to see what happens, and if nothing happens, then update. But yeah, go and update hoping there will be something, someday (because you are probably right, but when it will be available? I preffer to stick with something I already have).

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I heard it was because the read speed with discs is too low and so they basically put a copy of the stuff on the system to read from both at once
It doesn't even do that. It literally installs the entire game to HDD. It then only needs the disc as a simple disc-check.

Anyway, it's quite simple - people who want the exploit should stay on whatever firmware you're on now.There's no hurry to update to 4.50 or whatever because we can update at any time from USB. You can always update to 4.50 later when a userland exploit is found.

Reactions: Enlapse

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are probably right but if CTurt updated to 4.06... Well, I think it is a good reason to believe it will be released.

To those saying updating to 4.50 is worth to update because userland exploits are easier to find, that doesn't mean we will ever see one, but who knows. Maybe in a year or two? (If so), would be worth updating to 4.50 and wait for the time needed to get the exploit?

What I am trying to say is that if people have FW 4.07 (just like me), in my opinion is better to wait to see what happens, and if nothing happens, then update. But yeah, go and update hoping there will be something, someday (because you are probably right, but when it will be available? I preffer to stick with something I already have).
It's the same for 4.07 users since the kernel exploit is private and like you said, it could get released to the public in like one or two years from now. The problem is with people with a ps4 pro and we know that the 4.50 uses the boost power of the console and since the kernel exploit is said to work on 4.50, people should update to it if they want the full ps4 pro experience, because what would be the point of the ps4 pro if you wont use its boost mode just because of an userland exploit?

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source
incoming "h0w 2 d0wngrad my ps4 2 4.06 pls halp" or an indian dude on utube "hallo d00ds 2day i will be shawing u h0w to doongraad you're ps4 syst3m"

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the same for 4.07 users since the kernel exploit is private and like you said, it could get released to the public in like one or two years from now. The problem is with people with a ps4 pro and we know that the 4.50 uses the boost power of the console and since the kernel exploit is said to work on 4.50, people should update to it if they want the full ps4 pro experience, because what would be the point of the ps4 pro if you wont use its boost mode just because of an userland exploit?
because if you want to be able to hack your ps4 its best to stay as low as possible and update manually to whatever the highest compatible firmware is later. Or who knows, maybe there will be a cfw version of 4.50 that can only be installed when using a lower firmware version.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because if you want to be able to hack your ps4 its best to stay as low as possible and update manually to whatever the highest compatible firmware is later. Or who knows, maybe there will be a cfw version of 4.50 that can only be installed when using a lower firmware version.
I know, but we don't even know if the kernel exploit for 4.07 will be released... in the meantime, there could be another userland exploit available for those on 4.50.

Just because 4.07 has the userland one doesn't mean you guys will ever have something useful for it. The kernel exploit could be released like in two years or just kept in private forever.

This is actually starting to look like the early wii u scene an its exploits.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, but we don't even know if the kernel explot for 4.07 will be released... in the meantime, there could be another userland exploit available for those on 4.50.

Just because 4.07 has the userland one doesn't mean you guys will ever have something useful for it. The kernel exploit could be released like in two years or just kept in private forever.

This is actually starting to look like the early wii u scene an its exploits.
I would like to see something released soon, its very easy to just pick up a ps4 that has firmware earlier than 4.50 right now. When these exploits first surface there never seems to be much information to go with it.

Last edited by kevin corms,
D

Deleted-355425

Sweet, i will wait for 4.50 as that is what im on, that external HD support in 4.50 is going to be needed :P

Reactions: tbb043

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bIuU_g6A8