PS4 gets kernel level access on FW 4.06

C8YkhwRWsAANHFy.jpg

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you fully sure it works for 4.50? If so I will update as soon as I can, otherwise I will stay on my 4.07? I don't remember, the last version as of the 25th of December of 2016 was.

I'm searching at qwertyuiop and many people say things about 4.50 but I had not found any evidence of it, so I will stay in 4.07? as for now.

Is there a way to update to 4.50 like PS3? I mean, downloading the update in PC and use an USB to update the PS3? (In this case, the PS4) or only via PS4 updater?

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, as the tweet says it should work on the latest firmware... but if your ps4 comes above 4.06 you should update to 4.50 anyway.
I've been reading that the kernel exploit works up to 4.50 but the usermode exploit (the WebKit exploit in this case, if i'm not wrong) works up to 4.07, and we need both, so people at 4.50 will not be able to do nothing until a usermode exploit is available for 4.50.

Source: Wololo.net

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you fully sure it works for 4.50? If so I will update as soon as I can, otherwise I will stay on my 4.07? I don't remember, the last version as of the 25th of December of 2016 was.

I'm searching at qwertyuiop and many people say things about 4.50 but I had not found any evidence of it, so I will stay in 4.07? as for now.

Is there a way to update to 4.50 like PS3? I mean, downloading the update in PC and use an USB to update the PS3? (In this case, the PS4) or only via PS4 updater?
Just stay as low as possible, you can update manually to any version but you can't downgrade as of now.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading that the kernel exploit works up to 4.50 but the usermode exploit (the WebKit exploit in this case, if i'm not wrong) works up to 4.07, and we need both, so people at 4.50 will not be able to do nothing until a usermode exploit is available for 4.50.

Source: Wololo.net
An userland exploit will be found someday, what matters currently is the kernel one. If the guy wants the pro boost mode he will need to update no matter what.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I need an explanation as to why people think this will actually get released.
Wasnt the webkit one released a couple of days ago?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
An userland exploit will be found someday, what matters currently is the kernel one. If the guy wants the pro boost mode he will need to update no matter what.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wasnt the webkit one released a couple of days ago?
Kernel is a different ballgame entirely because it could allow piracy (legal, reputation, and $ consequences). I think he'll either sell it to sony or just keep it private. Hope I'm wrong.

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well yeah. Pro Boost is the only reason I'm buying a PS4 Pro. c:
But whatever, as long as the kernel is working up to firmware 4.50 -it's fine, at least for me. I can wait for another usermode exploit.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Just so you're all aware, the kernel exploit can work "up to 4.50", but it still needs a userland exploit in order to boot it. Since the userland exploit being used in 4.07 was fixed in later firmwares, 4.07 is the lowest firmware you can currently use to access this kernel exploit.

But, userland exploits are easier to find than kernel exploits, so it's very possible 4.50 might be able to install it sometime in the future.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kernel is a different ballgame entirely because it could allow piracy (legal, reputation, and $ consequences). I think he'll either sell it to sony or just keep it private. Hope I'm wrong.
It could get leaked eventually, or he could just repo his work just like hykem did with his iosu related stuff.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, the number of people with a firmware that low was not worth it, it seems.

But now it's a different story. Exciting!
Yeah, but if someone had only done it before, there'd be CFW/backup loader waiting for people who exploit on 4.xx, and it might be worth buying a PS4 now. Instead it's just more waiting. :P

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O

its so you cant let all your friends borrow the disc once, and then play the game forever for free.

Trophies
XP
Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O
We both know what a 'backup loader' really is.

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
aw yeah, there's hope for ppl who updated to 4.50(including me)..

But the question is, will he release?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1